RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom Artwork How-To

Tannis

Knight
Sythen;734835 said:
Lately I've been adding in real photographs and inserting them into picture frames using photoshop. The thing is with photoshop I havent been able to skew pictures to 45 degrees. Isometric drawings are generally equal measurments on all lines, but UO uses a trisometric platform for its graphics.

That being said, picture frames at a 45 degree angel generally do well (using that as an example). Now to convert a flat 1 dimensional picture I had to use paint shop pro... because unlike photoshop, paint shop pro has a 'free with the program' Skewing that skews pictures by degrees rather than having to do it by freehand. This gives an accurate representation in my opinion... see:

This picture is of a friend of mine and his girlfriend and is set at a 45 degree angle using a skew tool.

Anyway to draw regular graphics think small at first. Everything in UO is scaled down. So as long as you get that 45 degree angle or somewhere close to it (43-47 degrees), the flaws really arent noticable if you make a mistake. This degree measurement is different for every item tho... books and flat items this is awesome for; but mobiles its another story. :rolleyes:

mobiles are still at a 45 degree angle but instead of your edges on the pic being at the 45 degree point, your characters head will be at that point. Then you work your way down 45 degrees instead of up 45 degrees. Am I making sense? I hope this helps. :)

All files should be in Bitmap (.bmp) form with a black or white background. White and Black are transparent in the game world; white background objects tend to look like they are floating, so I prefer to use a black background for all the images I put together. ;)

It's best to use black, especially if you're using MUOTool to make your patches smaller. With MUOTool, if the art has a white background, it ends up being non-transparent for some reason that we haven't been able to figure out. I went through over 500 pieces of art and changed the background to black lol.

an issue with the name of the items added

I followed the tutorial "which was fantastic" however when I create the item in game, it has no name. I have entered the name and checked with inside uo and it is named.

Any ideas what I've done that's wrong?

Thantos

Wanderer
you have to script it for it to have a name, i think. thats the only way i could get a name to stay on it.

I think that's for runuo/sphere stuff... We have a pol server and scripts arn't needed for clothing/items from what I understand. (yes I know this is runuo but I couldn't find a tutorial anywhere else.)

I have updated the tile data and have it named but it still doesn't show up when the item is created in game. I have found the place where the script goes and am trying that out tonight.

Thanks for your help and comments :)

HellRazor

Knight
Karmael_Equinox;741730 said:
I have updated the tile data and have it named but it still doesn't show up when the item is created in game. I have found the place where the script goes and am trying that out tonight.

Thanks for your help and comments :)

If the item has a script, the script will override tiledata.mul. Just set the name property and that should fix it.

HellRazor;741821 said:
If the item has a script, the script will override tiledata.mul. Just set the name property and that should fix it.

Does it matter if we're using POL? cause I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

I have it named in the tiledata but the name still doesn't show up in game.. So where should I set the name property?

smeghead

Wanderer
I used mulpatcher to replace the splash screens on the client on my server.
now when i launch the client on my server i see my new splashscreen which is great!

but how do i make it so that when players connect to my shard THEY see the altered splash/login screen
sorry for the noob Q
thanks

Tiamat13

Sorceror
smeghead;742385 said:
I used mulpatcher to replace the splash screens on the client on my server.
now when i launch the client on my server i see my new splashscreen which is great!

but how do i make it so that when players connect to my shard THEY see the altered splash/login screen
sorry for the noob Q
thanks

Patch the Gump files to them.

Karmael

Wanderer
Can you explain to me exactly what you did to your splash screen? We have edited ours to follow exactly as per the tutorial and in some places it's like the color has dissapeared...

In order for your players to see the new splash screen you need to send them copies of your gump files so that it updates theirs as well.

HellRazor

Knight
UO interprets true black (RGB 0, 0, 0) and pure white (RGB 255, 255, 255), as well as some variants, as being transparent. Try replacing your blacks and whites with shades that are almost black or white.

smeghead

Wanderer
Karmael;742424 said:
Can you explain to me exactly what you did to your splash screen? We have edited ours to follow exactly as per the tutorial and in some places it's like the color has dissapeared...

In order for your players to see the new splash screen you need to send them copies of your gump files so that it updates theirs as well.

Thats kind of annoying the gumpidx.mul is 50 MEG!
I know ive connected to other shards before and seen their custom logon screen with manually downloading anything, hows that done

Karmael

Wanderer
:) that was our problem (the black color issue)

I really don't know how else to do it ,sorry.. and if I really wanted to play somewhere I don't think it would be a "pain" to download their files.. Are gump files are pretty big, and it only took me a few minutes to transfer them over to our server.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Might be a silly question, but I'm about to do some large additions to the wearables and alterations to the art.mul file to complete this... so, best to ask now.

Do I need separate icons in the art.mul file for each of the paperdoll gump additions, or could I use the same icon for different wearable items?

**EDIT: Never mind, I got it all figured out.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Okay, here's a little conundrum that I've run across.

The walkthrough says to save your animdata.mul file while working on new animations in MULPatcher. I did that and it spat out a animdata.mul of 0 byte size. Thinking maybe the walkthrough knew more than I did, I went ahead and loaded that up.

Now, unfortunately, there are no animations in art files. Fire columns don't animate, fireballs don't, waterfalls.. nothing. I'm supposing the problem is the animdata.mul file.

The question is, does the animdata file really do anything with actual in-game player animations? All custom stuff was uploaded and works reasonably well with a 0 byte file, but I'm not sure if that's by design or not.

HellRazor

Knight
Vhaerun;757543 said:
Okay, here's a little conundrum that I've run across.

The walkthrough says to save your animdata.mul file while working on new animations in MULPatcher. I did that and it spat out a animdata.mul of 0 byte size. Thinking maybe the walkthrough knew more than I did, I went ahead and loaded that up.

Now, unfortunately, there are no animations in art files. Fire columns don't animate, fireballs don't, waterfalls.. nothing. I'm supposing the problem is the animdata.mul file.

The question is, does the animdata file really do anything with actual in-game player animations? All custom stuff was uploaded and works reasonably well with a 0 byte file, but I'm not sure if that's by design or not.

Animdata.mul isn't for player or creature animations. It is used to store data for static animations, such as fire fields.

If you saved animdata.mul as a 0 byte file, thats why none of your statics animate any more.