RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Day Z in UO?

Gosmann

Sorceror
Hi community,

lately I was thinking about UO made to something similar to Day Z

features would be really easy to add, cause scripts are already made by the community
Imagine if you could die of starvation, so you need constantly find food
your death should be permanent, and if zombies kill you your char is becoming one

do you think it is a good idea? I'm planning to build a prototype small world based just on britannia, decorated as a city after the zombie apocalypse, I would release it to the community and I would appreciate if someone helps me with this project

the world never saw an medievil apocalpsye world

Main Features should be:

-Permanent death, if killed by zombie, your corpse became a new zombie with all your stuff, so it is possible to get your stuff back with your new char
- you can also die of starvation
-randomly spawned food and stuff in containers in city
-barricading possible, move furniture and stuff
-zombie spawns are dynamic, imagine if you cleaned a house from zombies, zombies are not allowed to spawn inside

hope I get positive feedback on this

EDIT

Features:
Perma-Death 100% finished
Zombies 95 % finished ( need balancing )
Barricading Sytem 0 % finished
World and Deco 100 % finished
Spawns ( Items 0% / Mobiles 50% )
Starvation 95% finished ( need balancing )

Update 14.04.13

Hey folks,
it seems I'm too slow with the progress so I want to release my current project in its current state, maybe someone will take a look and contribute something to it :)

First off, here are some screens:

your char starts on a sinking ship

First off you go through the starchamber, equals every char and give you the same starting equipment

After your char walk over the rope, he is in the game at the docks, the survival begins...

The city is devastated...

Small Camp / Enclave of survivors

New Trees and grass, very detailed map

random overrun camp in the city

and here is the link to the download (zippyshare):

http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/133412/file.html

I changed some client files, so you need to patch yours to see everything in its current state
Beware! map0 only has one island, everything is removed, so no britain and other landscape

What I still got to do:
-NPCs in the enclave ( Spawns and Scripts )
-No food and no container spawning
-animals get attacked by zeds, need to change this but how?

further suggestions are appreciated, thanks in advance :D

Vorspire

Knight
Sounds like a nice idea and it wouldn't be too far from reality either...

Back in the renaissance, there was a period of time where a massive volcanic eruption caused the global temperature to drop significantly, the world was plunged into a volcanic winter and sunlight became weak and scarce as it was unable to penetrate the ash clouds that swept over the world. Crops failed big-time, pestilence and famine were extremely common and the global mortality rate dropped. This period was known as "The Dark Ages".
During this time, food was so scarce that some people resorted to cannibalism, plague struck and devastated the populations of western Europe and people spoke of "the walking dead", victims of the plague, who were delusional and were overtaken by their primal instinct to survive, they moved in groups, they were outcasts, people feared them because they knew that contact with them would seal them a similar fate.
Although the plagued were very much alive, there was no redemption and nothing to save them, they were exiled or left to die in their homes should they have been luck enough to have a place to sleep. This is why they were referred to as "the walking dead", because they were already considered dead.

I wonder where the term "zombie" originated in the first place...

So anyway, putting this kind of shard together would be a nice change, as far as I know, it hasn't been done yet but you've got my vote. +1

Gosmann

Sorceror
good to hear you like the idea, vorspire
also you brought up a nice background for the worlds story based on real facts
First I need to clarify basic questions like
-which client version should we use
-which RunUO version should we use
hope someone can help me with those questions

Nockar

Sorceror
Could be a fun idea. ;o)

Don’t think it would be too hard to accomplish it as long as your map is small ish.

arazons

Sorceror
Its funny I was just toying with this idea a few weeks ago... Got side tracked and never did anything with it other than look for some char to mobile scripts. Would love to help with it let me know how I can can.

Gosmann

Sorceror
nice to hear you guys like the idea
first of all I need the questions above to be answered, because there are so many versions with theirs pros and cons, I lost track:-/
then I need someone who can decorate britain and restrict access to the rest of the map ( invisible blockers? )
I'm pretty bad at decorating stuff and map creation, though I still would help/ do it...

@arazon I appreciate your help, nice to hear someone else had this idea, right now we need some plan, like I said what versions do we use?
who does what?

btw I had another idea for the zombies, instead usin' the old sprites, we could use the human sprites instead, make their skin grey ( looks more rotten ), let em make zombie sounds, and let em randomly be equipped with different clothes, maybe slow them down? or do we use the insane 28 days later guys?

Gosmann

Sorceror
latest client? isn't there some kind of problems with a new data format or something? an exactly version number would help
also latest svn? I can imagine there would be problems with older scripts?

m309

Squire
Love the idea, Gosmann!!!

@Vorspire - The word "zombie" is just another horrid English (read as americanized) mispronunciation of another cultures word that's stuck through the years. It came from the Haitian voodoo word zonbi, which I'm sure came from either another east indies or even african word originally. The meaning has always been the same though, walking dead. I think mid-century american cinema added all the brain eating and plague aspects though. Voodoo zombies were basically just walking corpses that the person who raised them could use as slaves, servants and command to perform mindless tasks.

Vorspire

Knight
latest client? isn't there some kind of problems with a new data format or something? an exactly version number would help
also latest svn? I can imagine there would be problems with older scripts?

The latest client is whatever version is available now; 7.0.9+

7.0.9 is when the new file format was introduced IIRC, however the latest RunUO SVN supports the latest clients and file formats (UOP - Classic 2D Only)

Yes, you may have issues installing older scripts, but the majority of the really good releases out there have guides on how to fix and convert them, so you should be fine there.

Gosmann

Sorceror
Thanks vorspire! ok I will get the things installed today and any progress will be documented here:) so keep an eye of this thread if you are interested :)

EDIT

The pain begins... cant connect to UO
I'm using newest runuo svn, and the latest classic client 7.0.27.5
I have changed login in uo directory, I have encryption script found in the custom scripts section
I changed keys to fit my client version, still cant connect:S
what's wrong?

Vorspire

Knight
You'd probably be best off starting simple, don't add complex things like encryption support just yet - do that when you've got a release candidate shard, post-alpha, pre-beta.

Anything could be wrong at this point really, the most common cause of connection failure is LAN port-forwarding not being configured.

Gosmann

Sorceror
The problem existed before encryption script, I thought I could solve it with the script:(
It is the first time I used the latest svn and the latest client, maybe compiled it wrong? there are no dll in runuo folder

pooka01

Sorceror
I already tried making a zombie survival thing, it was long spawning the map with spawners, so a dynamic spawning would be way better than static spawns.
Also, yesterday i had the same idea that you had with changing zombie bodyvalue to the regular human one, but leaving the skin intact would probably be better than having a green skin.
You would also be facing the loot drops, meaning; Making different classes of zombies would be easier to manage. A worker that can drop toolkits, sewing kit, tongs. A noble dropping gold, fancy cloths, etc.

I watched around 50 episodes of Dayz in a week.
The thing i worry about is that there are caves and dungeons, would they be safe places with rare zombies? Would they be condamned with boulders?

I also recommand very rare animal spawns, in real life it's hard to find 2 bears, a hind, a timber wolf, 6 birds, 2 goats in the same area... So i would suggest using regions as spawning way, it would be easy to do, setting regions for wilderness, caves, towns, roads etc.

Gosmann

Sorceror
good points pooka, but first I try to establish the mechanics of this game
Only britannia at the start, everything else is not reachable, maybe some day I will expand
first of all lets see if it can be fun to play such a "genre" in UO :)

so any help with my connection thing? otherwise I will use the runuo 2.2 download from forum

pooka01

Sorceror
DayZ is an episodic series too?
I thought it was just a mod for a game which got backing for it's own stand-alone title.
Yea, i meant a youtube channel of gameplay experience of over 61 videos, got bored at 50 lol

Gosmann, did you go in your router to set the port? If so, check if it is 2593.
-I'm using runuo 2.0 so i'm not really able to help alot :p

Gosmann

Sorceror
I was connecting with 127.0.0.1, solved it, had something to do with the latest client 7.0.27.5, dont know exactly whats wrong with this