RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FS Player Government System

Greystar

Wanderer
Avelyn said:
No worries... I just feel bad I have not been able to crank it out yet.. why must we have real jobs? I want to get it out there so that it can be installed tested and maybe get some ideas for new things. Its a fun system to work with.. just needed quite a bit of work. I am working on compiling the docs and fixing gumps right now. Then the multis.. That should be it for a first release.

Can I suggest you post it in its own thread when you are done, that way all new help can be asked for in the new thread and not in Ronin's old one. Just give some credit or a link to the original and go from there.

Shadow1980

Wanderer
I have been through fixing all gumps/multis, though I made some modifications based on our shard along the way while I was at it.
Avelyn I hope you find some time to sort yours out as well. I know what it can be like trying to fix a system like this when your job is getting in the way most of the time. The sheer amount of fixes required in loads of different files can make it quite tedious at best.
However, like you said, it's a fun system to work with and the things people will do with it in the future will be with no doubt quite amazing.

Avelyn

Sorceror
Greystar said:
Can I suggest you post it in its own thread when you are done, that way all new help can be asked for in the new thread and not in Ronin's old one. Just give some credit or a link to the original and go from there.

Oh I definately will, and am not looking for credit... it's Ronin's system, he deserves the credit for it and Im sure that were he able he would have finished it. I'm just thankful that he and Alien have allowed me to pull their work apart and play with it to make this system even better.

Shadow1980

Wanderer
Amen to that Avelyn.

I've got my version crash-free as far as I can test. I am sure something will come up sooner or later, but such is life ;-)
Now it's just going to take months to get all custom changes and additions in. I've finished a few but nothing extremely major yet.

typuk

Sorceror
Code:
Server Crash Report
===================

Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600.0
.NET Framework: 1.1.4322.573
Time: 08.03.2006 7:09:54
Mobiles: 14631
Items: 222463
Clients:
- Count: 0

Exception:
System.InvalidOperationException: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
   at System.Collections.ArrayListEnumeratorSimple.MoveNext()
   at Server.Items.CityManagementStone.DoUpdate()
   at Server.Items.CityUpdateTimer.OnTick()
   at Server.Timer.Slice()
   at Server.Core.Main(String[] args)
Having this crash for 4 hours now while i'm asleep.
So anyone ever had level 2 city?
Seems that the city doesn't want to expand. It can reach level 1 and stay yhat way.

Jarrod

Sorceror
for the love of hexadecimals, please stop using this system until the new one is released. The current downloadable system contains numerous bugs that will inevitably result in your shard becoming unstable.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
i have a lvl 3 right now and no problems....though i am working on taking it out seeing that a new STABLE one is comming out, and seeing problems others are having

Avelyn

Sorceror
My version will be out soon. There are only a couple small problems I am having with some of the custom multis. Then I just need to cleanup some code and work on the docs a little more. I am trying to make a lot of stuff optional that wasnt before to add some flexibility. Ease is installation is also important as it is not an easy system to install. I don't want to change the ideas Ronin had so it will still require the modification of several distro files.

So far I have 3 complete towns of various levels on my test shard for several months with no major bugs or crashes. We have been trying to test every concievable problem although I'm sure I will miss one or so that will need to be fixed.

Avelyn

Sorceror
typuk said:
Having this crash for 4 hours now while i'm asleep.
So anyone ever had level 2 city?
Seems that the city doesn't want to expand. It can reach level 1 and stay yhat way.

Funny part about that is the city DOES expand. The gump is written incorrectly to show you it does. It will be fixed in my new version.

typuk

Sorceror
I had 2 cities last night. Mine is working (level 1 for 3 days), the other still crashes the server without even reaching level 1.

Avelyn

Sorceror
typuk said:
I had 2 cities last night. Mine is working (level 1 for 3 days), the other still crashes the server without even reaching level 1.

Sighs, it is crashing because the cleanup code is broken. It is crashing because you are throwing a loop out of bounds in an array. You've been told that the system is broken and not to use it. Please either try and fix it yourself or wait until someone releases a new version.

Avelyn

Sorceror
This system is virtually complete. I will be releasing it a short time after RunUo 2.0 comes out to ensure compatibility.

Avelyn said:
This system is virtually complete. I will be releasing it a short time after RunUo 2.0 comes out to ensure compatibility.
YAY!
Will it be exactly the same as this one minus the bugs, or a hybrid of RoninGT's and your own ideas, or same concept but done differently, etc?

Arcanus

Wanderer
Too bad we dont have mailing lists for this sorta thing. (To be updated when the newest version comes out, add your address here) Hell, I'd even make donations for this sorta thing. Hmmm That's an idea.

Arcanus said:
Too bad we dont have mailing lists for this sorta thing. (To be updated when the newest version comes out, add your address here) Hell, I'd even make donations for this sorta thing. Hmmm That's an idea.
was thinking exact same thing when she (or he...but the name, if offend, not intention) said she was gonna fix and rerelease...was having some playermobile problems with this one, ended up having to wipe and start clean, but still liked the idea. Also, I rarely look in custom script releases anymore.

Avelyn

Sorceror
Anti-Basic said:
YAY!
Will it be exactly the same as this one minus the bugs, or a hybrid of RoninGT's and your own ideas, or same concept but done differently, etc?

Oh No, there are quite a few new options. The system is Ronin's, but I have added a bunch of new features and made it easy to add other when people think of new and improved ideas. The system allows for crafting all the items, or buying them, it includes realistic income taxes and management, the gumps are much more flexible, player vendors in the town have the capability of doing sales tax to the town, you will have the option to allow normal house addons as town decorations, and have a town resource box that members can access. There's a bunch more stuff as well.

Avelyn

Sorceror
Anti-Basic said:
was thinking exact same thing when she (or he...but the name, if offend, not intention) said she was gonna fix and rerelease...was having some playermobile problems with this one, ended up having to wipe and start clean, but still liked the idea. Also, I rarely look in custom script releases anymore.

Hehe it's a HE. Unfortunately the playermobile still has to be edited but I hope my docs are clear enough. This is why I need to wait until 2.0 comes out so I can include up to date edited distro files for people who aren't that great at doing file comparing/editing. I did not want to change the way the system worked when Ronin wrote it and having the flag on the player is kinda neat, but it does force you to do a little editing on some of the distros.

Arcanus

Wanderer
Absolutly no rush then. Going to have my hands full reinstalling a ton of scripts anyways. No use converting them over all at once, might be safer to drop them in one at a time. But I'll definatly be keeping up with your updates as this system is greatly needed :)

Just a thought though. What about something similar as a stone placement that will allow players to place lockdown containers? For instance. I'm attempting to put together a way for players to mine stone and be able to "carve" if you will, walls and floor tiles and what not (all items found in a custom housing menu), thus giving players the ability to place and lock down a destructable series of building parts in any given area. It would be nice if they were able to lock down containers in a general area as they would a house.

A better example. Joe Blow builds a fortress stone by stone, or wall by wall. He might be able to expand the area in which he places the walls by players placing houses or containers (preferably containers) within the area that counts towards the population. So then, Joe Blow being the city Lord and or King, would be able to tax his citizens based upon their containers within his city and offer them protection at the same time, perhaps by npc guards that he must buy or maintain through the same stone that allows him to control the area he is alloted based upon the number of citizens he possesses within his "fortress". The fortress would be destructable of course, though taking massive amounts of damage before it is destroyed. The whole idea is pretty much centered around the government system, but without the premade buildings.

Just a concept I've been tossing around, though I'm afraid I would not be able to script all of it since my scripting knowledge is very limited.

one ting i didnt like about teh original was needing the forensics...i mean i know its an uncommon skill and all, but it didt seem right.