RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Zippy, Tree-hack much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tophyr

Wanderer
Hey Zippy, Tree-hack much?

You have one hour (one!) to explain Razor v.29's lesser-known registry options, explain why you put them in, and then apologize to the vast numbers of players and shard owners that rely on your software who think the treehack is cheating.

One hour from now. At 3:13pm PST, if you haven't told the story, I will.

tophyr

Wanderer
It has also occurred to me that raising this brings the distinct possibility of thread deletion and/or sanctions against my RunUO forums account. I hope the administration here is level-headed enough to not take such a route but know that if it does happen, it'll be all over the place at topshards, uog forums, etc etc etc.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Wow. Who are you to demand anything in such a manner? I hope to God your post is not only deleted, but you are banned as well.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
tophyr said:
You have one hour (one!) to explain Razor v.29's lesser-known registry options, explain why you put them in, and then apologize to the vast numbers of players and shard owners that rely on your software who think the treehack is cheating.

Why are you only giving a man, who has graduate school and married life to worry about, an hour to reply to you?

WarAngel

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:
Why are you only giving a man, who has graduate school and married life to worry about, an hour to reply to you?

Because he wishes the world revolved around him and his ideals. Too bad it doesn't.

Arvoreen

Sorceror
Hmm. What is treehacking?

I don't need specifics of how it is accomplished or anything, since anything with the word 'hack' in it (though it's sadly misused) makes me ill, just wondering what it is.

And, while I dunno either way, that is sort of a harsh way to ask someone to explain something. . .while I'm sure being able to treehack can't be good, I mean, are you sure that Zippy's done anything to warrant such rage? I mean, he won't put in autoloot (thank you!), so I don't see why there'd be something that would be outright cheating. *shrug* I dunno..

WarAngel

Wanderer
Arvoreen said:
Hmm. What is treehacking?

I don't need specifics of how it is accomplished or anything, since anything with the word 'hack' in it (though it's sadly misused) makes me ill, just wondering what it is.

And, while I dunno either way, that is sort of a harsh way to ask someone to explain something. . .while I'm sure being able to treehack can't be good, I mean, are you sure that Zippy's done anything to warrant such rage? I mean, he won't put in autoloot (thank you!), so I don't see why there'd be something that would be outright cheating. *shrug* I dunno..

It makes it so that trees aren't display, but instead are replaced with either a wireframe sort of thing, or you don't see them at all. It's easily accomplishable by anyone with some MUL tools, so I don't see what the MASSIVE amount of drama is for.

tophyr

Wanderer
Seanchen.net said:

Because I'm pissed. My first inclination was just to post up what I found and let everyone have at it, but I figured that maybe he'd like a chance to speak first. If Zippy, or anyone who's able to contact him, sees this first, then he will. Otherwise, it'll just be like I figured this out at 3 o'clock instead of 2.

WarAngel

Wanderer
tophyr: Your anger is understandable, but why be so immature about the whole thing? After your numerous posts in various Razor topics, I would be inclined to think you'd just like to see this project die. Zippy is already discouraged about the whole project enough as it is, and making this kind of drama certainly doesn't help AT ALL.

This is not the way to get things changed in your favor. It is a way to show everyone (majority of people) that didn't know there was a tree-hack that there is one. Now, I demand that YOU apologize to the shard owners whose players had no idea that there was a "tree-hack", and never would have found out, but now know and will try to find ways to use it.

tophyr

Wanderer
WarAngel said:
tophyr: Your anger is understandable, but why be so immature about the whole thing? After your numerous posts in various Razor topics, I would be inclined to think you'd just like to see this project die. Zippy is already discouraged about the whole project enough as it is, and making this kind of drama certainly doesn't help AT ALL.

This is not the way to get things changed in your favor. It is a way to show everyone (majority of people) that didn't know there was a tree-hack that there is one. Now, I demand that YOU apologize to the shard owners whose players had no idea that there was a "tree-hack", and never would have found out!

I want Razor to shift away from the direction it's heading. Faster macros, (effective) background loops, light level modifications, auto cure/heal, etc. I want Razor to allow the shard owner to dictate what Razor's capabilities are - for shards that *want* auto cure/heal, LL mods, etc, more power to them! I don't want them on my shard, but I do want my players to be able to have the Restock agent, I do want them to be able to connect without UOG, I do want them to have target queues, etc. I want to be able to send a packet to Razor that says "You can do these things, but you can't do those", and then I want a guarantee that Razor won't allow the player to do the things I don't want them to be able to do.

I'm not going to comment any more on the topic of this thread as I do want to give Zippy an honest hour's chance to respond. Whether he sees the thread or not isn't my fault, but I'm going to let him have the first word.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Oh, so bashing Zippy and pulling this kind of shit will make Razor shift away from the direction it's heading? Oh... well maybe you are right. It will just die because Zippy doesn't want to deal with this shit. Good job. Think things through before posting.

PS: This isn't your program. I don't think it's your place to try and blackmail him into changing things for you.

Why do you act so childish? It's not even like you have the power to boss anyone around anyway so stop acting like it. If you don't like Zippy's program then I suggest that you DON'T USE IT AND MAKE ONE FOR "YOUR SHARD" TO YOUR LIKING

Sigh...

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
tophyr said:

You better tell the story.

Start first by installing the current version, at least attack Zippy by using the most current version.

7 minutes late, this sucks, wanted to hear about this so called story before my Case-Modding Workshop.

tophyr

Wanderer
Meh, little late, took me longer to write this up than I expected.

You guys are really pretty disappointing in the quality of your responses. Attacks on my maturity, attacks on my programming skill and attacks on my character in general - I expected them to an extent, but I would've imagined that you yourselves would've been at least a little disturbed that he added this, or at least added it and kept it secret.

Code:
public static bool LaunchClient(string client, bool patchEncy)
{
      int num1 = 0;
      string text1 = Path.Combine(Engine.BaseDirectory, "Crypt.dll");
      ClientCommunication.ClientProc = null;
      Loader.DLLParameters parameters1 = new Loader.DLLParameters();
      if (!patchEncy)
      {
            parameters1.Flags |= Loader.DLLFlags.OSICryptEnabled;
      }
      if (Config.GetBool("SmartCPU"))
      {
            parameters1.Flags |= Loader.DLLFlags.SmartCPU;
      }
      [COLOR="Red"]if (Config.GetRegString(Registry.LocalMachine, "Hax0r") == "Tr33")[/COLOR]
      {
            parameters1.Flags |= Loader.DLLFlags.Trees;
      }
      if ((Loader.Load(client, text1, "OnAttach", ref parameters1, sizeof(Loader.DLLParameters), out num1) == Loader.ERROR_TYPE.SUCCESS) && (num1 != 0))
      {
            try
            {
                  ClientCommunication.ClientProc = Process.GetProcessById(num1);
                  try
                  {
                        if ((parameters1.Flags & Loader.DLLFlags.SmartCPU) == Loader.DLLFlags.None)
                        {
                              ClientCommunication.ClientProc.PriorityClass = (ProcessPriorityClass) Enum.Parse(typeof(ProcessPriorityClass), Config.GetString("ClientPrio"), true);
                        }
                  }
                  catch
                  {
                  }
            }
            catch
            {
                  ClientCommunication.ClientProc = null;
            }
      }
      return (ClientCommunication.ClientProc != null);
}

This is C# code reconstructed from the compiled MSIL of the Razor v.29 binary. As you can see, it no longer references the UOG.dll export LaunchClient(), but handles it with Zippy's new Launch.dll. The process checks a secret registry key (which I'm not naming, but anyone with some brains can figure out), and if it's set correctly, Razor enables the tree-stump hack for the client.

Why is this an issue, you ask?

Two reasons: One, he added the tree-stump hack. Another in the growing list of "features" that Razor exhibits that is borderline cheating at best, blatant at worst. Zippy used to proclaim Razor openly as NOT a cheat tool, but even now on the Razor website he admits that some will consider it able to be used for cheating as well. If we continue down this road, the only differences between Razor and Injection will be that Razor is closed-source (although, obviously as I've just demonstrated, not really), and that Razor is still being updated with more and "better" features.

Two, he added it and didn't tell anybody. It was his own personal little easter egg. If he had put it in the "New Features" list, I'd be a little less outraged, but still upset. As it is, he went to lengths to make sure that not only did nobody know about the feature but that the odds of it being discovered through everyday use were effectively zero. He wanted to give those "in the know" a leg up in the competition. I don't know what you call that, but in my book that's outright cheating.

This is like your doctor selling narcotics on the side, guys. If Zippy's willing to put something like this in and then stop just short about lying about it.. where's Razor headed?

tophyr

Wanderer
The "feature" isn't there anymore in the .30 release, because that one isn't a "fixed" v.29 but rather an "un-broken" v.29. Zippy went back to using UOG.dll in .30 and thus it doesn't have the capability to turn on the treehack like .29 does.

WarAngel

Wanderer
1) Who is "in the know"? Is this another conspiracy theory?

2) The tree-stump hack is even more easily accomplishable without any tool at all. You simply download an easily-accessible file and place it in your UO folder, overwriting the old one.

Way to make all of this drama over nothing, as well as letting everyone know about the tree-stump hack.

Anyway, I still hope you are banned for your drama, and then your attempt to play innocence in this whole thing.

Edit: You're also a hypocrite. You don't want people to know about this, but you tell anyone who reads this how to use this feature, plus you say it is effectively hidden to almost a "zero" percent chance of ever being found. Way to turn that number around and make it really easy to find.

Kadull

Wanderer
ok, its obvious that razor is only going to make gameplay cheaper and cheaper for UO, and i have a feeling theres nothign we can do to stop it.

zippy doesnt seem to understand the meening of fair play, or just has the mindset of "well, people can do it anyways... why not make it easier for EVERYONE?"...

imo razor does loads more than it should already... i meen come on... scavenger? the light thing?

and please dont take any of this as a flame... because its not. You have your ideals, and your knowledge, and ability.... but keep in mind all of that affects EVERYONE that plays free shards.

so my request is.... code razor to be detectable so that shards can ban it. or even better, make each publish seperately detectable so a shard can ban past a certain release.

theres really no reason not to. After all, shouldnt the shard admin/ and maybe members have say in what third party programs are allowed on their shard?

and tophyr, thsi was a really poor way of getting anything accomplished.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Kadull said:
ok, its obvious that razor is only going to make gameplay cheaper and cheaper for UO, and i have a feeling theres nothign we can do to stop it.

zippy doesnt seem to understand the meening of fair play, or just has the mindset of "well, people can do it anyways... why not make it easier for EVERYONE?"...

imo razor does loads more than it should already... i meen come on... scavenger? the light thing?

and please dont take any of this as a flame... because its not. You have your ideals, and your knowledge, and ability.... but keep in mind all of that affects EVERYONE that plays free shards.

so my request is.... code razor to be detectable so that shards can ban it. or even better, make each publish seperately detectable so a shard can ban past a certain release.

theres really no reason not to. After all, shouldnt the shard admin/ and maybe members have say in what third party programs are allowed on their shard?

This is not something I would flame, because it was a sensible and intelligent attempt to ask Zippy to change Razor. You didn't include any blackmail or "do this within one hour or else" kinds of things.

In fact, I couldn't agree more to letting the owner set what's useable or not.

Kadull

Wanderer
thanks war angel...

now maybe we should ignore anything he has to say and let this thread possibly get something accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.