RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You Upgrade 1.0 To 2.0 Without Losing Anything?

seanandre

Sorceror
How Do You Upgrade 1.0 To 2.0 Without Losing Anything?

Hey,

Probably a REALLY stupid question, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to upgrade 1.0 to 2.0 without losing anything?

Thanks,
Sean

Phantom

Knight
You compare every file, and any file that you cannot live the Server not loading into the world, merge the changes. They were several files about 5 that contained spelling mistakes, be sure you delete the old incorrect spelling files, for those that been corrected.

Icedddragon

Wanderer
its virtually impossible without losing anything, your pretty much guarenteed to lose your playermobile with the mods the made..

Icedddragon said:
its virtually impossible without losing anything, your pretty much guarenteed to lose your playermobile with the mods the made..

Only if your lazy and dont want to take the time to figure out how to properly mod the 2.0 PlayerMobile.cs.

Icedddragon

Wanderer
Sithid the serialization changed, you know what that means? it means that when you start the server its gonna come up and say "player mobile is wrong" or something like that, then "do you want to delete all player mobiles (y/n) do you want to delete all refenernces (y/n)"

Phantom

Knight
Icedddragon said:

Icedddragon said:
Sithid the serialization changed, you know what that means? it means that when you start the server its gonna come up and say "player mobile is wrong" or something like that, then "do you want to delete all player mobiles (y/n) do you want to delete all refenernces (y/n)"

The only reason you RunUO would ask you to delete Playermobile objects in the world, is if you didn't merge the changes the correct way, it is indeed possible to merge a modified PlayerMobile into the stock RunUO 2.0 PlayerMobile class. So lets not tell people something thats not true alright?

Icedddragon said:

No, Ive got no clue what Serialization/Deserialization is. Ive been using RunUo for two years and your the very first to every tell me what that is. Oh my, I feel like such a newb >.< /sarcasim. Heh. If you get that error when you try to load your playermobile its very clear you did not modify it correctly and you should go back and give it another go.

@Phantom: Quick fingers with them edits hehe, theres damn near nothing impossible with RunUO ^^.

[Edit]<Adds Remark>[/Edit]

Icedddragon

Wanderer
i did say VIRTUALLY :p aka for the majority of runuo users, probably including me :rolleyes:
Edit: thanks for the neg karma guys :p
Phantom gives -37? :eek: Nerf phantom!:p

Phantom

Knight
Icedddragon said:
i did say VIRTUALLY :p aka for the majority of runuo users, probably including me :rolleyes:
Edit: thanks for the neg karma guys :p
Phantom gives -37? :eek: Nerf phantom!:p

Your statement was incorrect, I didn't agree with it, in the future ask for help before making a statement like that.

Icedddragon

Wanderer
*sigh* ill get working on something new to get some karma then now... stupid neg karma just for saying its hard for most people...

Galfaroth

Wanderer
Since we have there many experienced scripters, why shouldn't they write RunUO1->RunUO2 Conversion Tool. It should check every script and change old script behavior to new RunUO2 Core. What do you think about it community?

Phantom

Knight
Icedddragon said:
*sigh* ill get working on something new to get some karma then now... stupid neg karma just for saying its hard for most people...

Thats not exactly what you said.

You made it sound like it wasn't possible.

Phantom

Knight
Galfaroth said:
Since we have there many experienced scripters, why shouldn't they write RunUO1->RunUO2 Conversion Tool. It should check every script and change old script behavior to new RunUO2 Core. What do you think about it community?

Due to the nature of the code, I doubt this will happen, the best way to code is to do it by hand. Anyone good enough to do it, knows this, so don't expect it to happen.

Now, what if you only convert the more-import changes? (which would be... most likely stuff like playermobile, basecreature... etc etc)

Then it wouldn't take so long... Correct?

Though, i'm still not sure on if you would get errors. But there are alot of people with ALOT of customs, and i'm sure many wouldn't want to take some large hastle to convert. I just want the preformance increase (or mainly, haven't seen anything else yet... Still looking through Phantoms unofficial changelog etc etc) ;);)

Phantom

Knight
IHaveRegistered said:
Now, what if you only convert the more-import changes? (which would be... most likely stuff like playermobile, basecreature... etc etc)

Then it wouldn't take so long... Correct?

Though, i'm still not sure on if you would get errors. But there are alot of people with ALOT of customs, and i'm sure many wouldn't want to take some large hastle to convert. I just want the preformance increase (or mainly, haven't seen anything else yet... Still looking through Phantoms unofficial changelog etc etc) ;);)

You would waste more time, trying not to update things by hand by fixing issues that come up, just do it the correct way the first time.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
This is why we have jumped up and down to the point of looking stupid about not using a bunch of poorly written "scripts".

Galfaroth

Wanderer
Phantom said:
Due to the nature of the code, I doubt this will happen, the best way to code is to do it by hand. Anyone good enough to do it, knows this, so don't expect it to happen.

Phantom but If I have more than 2500 my own scripts, changing every of them will take more than month... There are problems starting from using Server.Commands, overriding of Dupe etc. Isn't there any chance to make this changing all scripts to new behaviour?