RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You Upgrade 1.0 To 2.0 Without Losing Anything?

RavonTUS

Sorceror
Greetings,

If I change all the scripts to match v1.0, will I not loose or break more stuff in v2.0?

Are there certain files I should definitely not change in v2.0?

-Ravon

daat99

Staff member
RavonTUS said:
Greetings,

If I change all the scripts to match v1.0, will I not loose or break more stuff in v2.0?

Are there certain files I should definitely not change in v2.0?

-Ravon
If you change all your files to fit RunUO 1.0 than you basically using 1.0, I would suggest doing nothing in that case...

V

Vilanne

Sweet Code!

Wow, the RunUO Dev Team is amazing. I'm (relatively) new to C# coding, but an old fashioned *coughs* VB coder... all the new .net has had me intrigued for a while, which took me into working with C# and doing UO.

Folks keep posting "How do I upgrade..." and the most experienced folks keep saying "Wait, .. Warn... Read each file" trying to express what an undertaking this will be. I cannot provide directions on HOW TO, but I can possibly provide a better understanding on why they are so brief in their warnings.

Thanks to orgis's suggestion on the WinMerge, I downloaded the FREE software, and was totally in awe of the great Project organization it provides.

- My initial WinMerg stats were approx:
34/245; =618, 1074
What that means is:
14 folders / 60 files were unique on one side
34 folders / 245 files were unique on the other side
618 files were completely identical
1074 files were different

The magnitude of upgrading will be in identifying WHY files are on one side and not the other while converting same, not just making them .net 2.0 compliant with code changes.

Basically, download and install the new RunUO2.0
> make a complete copy of your data BEFORE you start tweaking
> keep those folders in a separate place (i.e. Production, Original-v2, & Tweaked)
> Download the WinMerge, install and click the checkbox at the bottom that says to include all of the sub folders after targeting Scripts (the interface is kinda funky, just manually edit after getting at least that far and choosing one script, then back it out to include just "Scripts" or any other organizational method you choose.)
> Move all NEW files into your Tweaked folder
> Tweak all "Files are different" and only save them in the Tweaked folder
> Ignore the "Identical" files *Yippee*

Yes, it'll take a LOT of time... but with this little FREE software gadget, it looks like even future RC's aren't going to be as bad if I've got the bulk of this stuff straight! *grins*

Woah-iz-you to all those with typo-itis. LOL

- - - - -
The Real Question:
:confused: :confused: How do I deal with tweaking the data files? Perhaps a nice person will make suggestions here soon... so we can all play and learn.

daat99

Staff member
Vilanne said:
Wow, the RunUO Dev Team is amazing. I'm (relatively) new to C# coding, but an old fashioned *coughs* VB coder... all the new .net has had me intrigued for a while, which took me into working with C# and doing UO.

Folks keep posting "How do I upgrade..." and the most experienced folks keep saying "Wait, .. Warn... Read each file" trying to express what an undertaking this will be. I cannot provide directions on HOW TO, but I can possibly provide a better understanding on why they are so brief in their warnings.

Thanks to orgis's suggestion on the WinMerge, I downloaded the FREE software, and was totally in awe of the great Project organization it provides.

- My initial WinMerg stats were approx:
34/245; =618, 1074
What that means is:
14 folders / 60 files were unique on one side
34 folders / 245 files were unique on the other side
618 files were completely identical
1074 files were different

The magnitude of upgrading will be in identifying WHY files are on one side and not the other while converting same, not just making them .net 2.0 compliant with code changes.

Basically, download and install the new RunUO2.0
> make a complete copy of your data BEFORE you start tweaking
> keep those folders in a separate place (i.e. Production, Original-v2, & Tweaked)
> Download the WinMerge, install and click the checkbox at the bottom that says to include all of the sub folders after targeting Scripts (the interface is kinda funky, just manually edit after getting at least that far and choosing one script, then back it out to include just "Scripts" or any other organizational method you choose.)
> Move all NEW files into your Tweaked folder
> Tweak all "Files are different" and only save them in the Tweaked folder
> Ignore the "Identical" files *Yippee*

Yes, it'll take a LOT of time... but with this little FREE software gadget, it looks like even future RC's aren't going to be as bad if I've got the bulk of this stuff straight! *grins*

Woah-iz-you to all those with typo-itis. LOL

- - - - -
The Real Question:
:confused: :confused: How do I deal with tweaking the data files? Perhaps a nice person will make suggestions here soon... so we can all play and learn.
There's 1 major issue that you forgot to address in that reply.
Most people that upgrade don't have a clue about real coding (myself included) and they just modify stuff untill it work without understanding what realy going on inside the scripts.
Upgrading without loosing items/mobile require a lot of programming knowledge and a lot of hard work (without the knowledge all your hard work won't do you any good).

My suggestion is, get start on learning c# before you start upgrading your shard.

seanandre

Sorceror
Wow, I sure created such a response with this thread.

Well I thank everyone for their responses, but it looks like I'll just be sticking with 1.0. Some day I may start a new shard on 2.0, maybe bring the old stuff over, but it's gonna be too complicated to upgrade.

Thanks anyway

Deralore

Sorceror
Wouldn't it be easier to make RunUO backwards compatible than to change every script you have, or did you change to much to make backwards compatiblity almost impossible to implement?

Jeff

Lord
Deralore said:
Wouldn't it be easier to make RunUO backwards compatible than to change every script you have, or did you change to much to make backwards compatiblity almost impossible to implement?
no cause then we couldnt take advantage of the 2.0 framework and we would just stick with 1.0

daat99

Staff member
seanandre said:
Wow, I sure created such a response with this thread.

Well I thank everyone for their responses, but it looks like I'll just be sticking with 1.0. Some day I may start a new shard on 2.0, maybe bring the old stuff over, but it's gonna be too complicated to upgrade.

Thanks anyway
And what will you do when RunUO 3.0 RC1 will be released? wipe your shard and start over again???

I realy won't like to play on a shard when the admin show such "care" for his player base or their items.

If you don't care enough about your players to realy learn how to program in order to maintain your shard and upgrade it than I strongly suggest that you either keep your shard off of the public shard list or don't have a shard at all.

This is nothing personal about you, just think about your players before you reply.

Will it be fair for them to train their characters, collect items, gain respect and all that in order to get wiped out of everything they worked realy hard for just because you were too lazy?

Also keep in mind that if you learn how to program than you could do stuff in your shard that other shards can't do, that'll get you a huge player boost in the long run ;)

jtg1001

Sorceror
Maybe a silly question but... what files need to be moved over to keep the players, houses, that kind of things? No just the scripts for any custom items or quests. Thanks

daat99

Staff member
jtg1001 said:
Maybe a silly question but... what files need to be moved over to keep the players, houses, that kind of things? No just the scripts for any custom items or quests. Thanks
That's isn't a silly question but there is no answer to that question.
It all depends on each individual shard and what they did to their scripts.
For the distro RunUO 1.0 Final version, you don't need to do anything but to replace the scripts.
If you modified anything than it might require you to work for it.

You won't be able to really tell or know what to do if you don't know enough c#, if you are serious about hosting a successful shard than I strongly suggest that you learn c# first and work on world deco later.

jtg1001

Sorceror
Thanks. I mainly want to make sure that the accounts, bank boxes and player houses, that sort of thing make the conversion. Just not sure if there is more than accounts.xml that needs to go over or how much more there is. I'm slowly learning C# and have been fairly successful. Thanks again for your reply and help. J

daat99

Staff member
jtg1001 said:
Thanks. I mainly want to make sure that the accounts, bank boxes and player houses, that sort of thing make the conversion. Just not sure if there is more than accounts.xml that needs to go over or how much more there is. I'm slowly learning C# and have been fairly successful. Thanks again for your reply and help. J
Like I said, nobody can answer this question because it's a totaly different answer for each and every shard.

monnie

Wanderer
I really would like to merge over my little private shard to 2.0. I just want atleast the houses and player characters to come over. The rest dont matter as much. I'll try downloading that merge program and using that. I'm not much of a scripter but I can figure things out.