RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do You Upgrade 1.0 To 2.0 Without Losing Anything?

Phantom

Knight
Galfaroth said:
Phantom but If I have more than 2500 my own scripts, changing every of them will take more than month... There are problems starting from using Server.Commands, overriding of Dupe etc. Isn't there any chance to make this changing all scripts to new behaviour?

You have to update all your scripts, if you want to use RunUO 2.0.0

There isn't another way to update your code expect if you update your code, there is no fast way around it, perhaps you should learn not to have 2500 scripts ( which I doubt ).

Galfaroth

Wanderer
But Phantom, I completely changed Ultima Online systems to fit with World of Gothic (shard based on Gothic series game)... The only errors are that I have to change every old behaviour script to RUO2.0 like I've said - Server.Commands, Item Duping (which has new syntax in RUO2).

Phantom

Knight
Galfaroth said:
But Phantom, I completely changed Ultima Online systems to fit with World of Gothic (shard based on Gothic series game)... The only errors are that I have to change every old behaviour script to RUO2.0 like I've said - Server.Commands, Item Duping (which has new syntax in RUO2).

Alright, there are no shortcuts in life, the only way to do it right is to modify the scripts that you can't live without when the world loads.

Icedddragon

Wanderer
changing most of the errors is fine aka command changes are just CTRL+H and insert the old one and the new one, then u can do that fairly fast, only a few which i say your on your own are player mobile etc, my server wasnt to highly developed on players (still in dev) so we just bypassed playermobile and are working on getting old scripts onto 2.0 format so when proper version comes out we ready :) if you need specific help with a file ask for help ^^
Edit: btw, i understand phantom gave me -karma because he hates anything he disagrees with, and sithid because i said he was wrong :( but on -karma going "IDIOT" is kinda stupid, whoever you are. Ill try and make it up to you guys, youll see ^^

ulatek

Wanderer
ive been waiting for runuo 2.0 to come out before i really started to play around with it again, would most of the scripts in script releases be fairly incompatible?

I guess one of the easiest ways to move over to 2.0 would just be to copy out the parts you really want/need from your 1.0 Server, and just use the 2.0 from there. That one sounds easy enough, I think I could do that in... a few days actually. Well, I guess that's all I needed to know.

Enjoy!

-Aiden

SoltoN

Wanderer
bryant said:
will my server still run like it always has?

Yes, if you do not upgrade, your server will continue to run, there will just be limited new public script realeases over time, as all the developers start developing for the 2.0 version

Evil Jason

Sorceror
Phantom's Right

When I ran 2.0 for the first time and saw all the script issues from my 1.0 shard, I did the lazy (but easy) thing, i removed ALL my custom scripts that affected distro files, kept only my accounts file and started over.

I mean it's not like there aren't going to be tons of systems posted for 2.0 anyhow.

But for Admins that have completely custom servers with all kinds of modifications, guess what? Grab a few 2 liters of Jolt, and get to work. ;)

The RunUO Devs spent untold amounts of time building 2.0, so spend a few hours customizing it for yourself.

~Evil Jason

Evil Jason said:
When I ran 2.0 for the first time and saw all the script issues from my 1.0 shard, I did the lazy (but easy) thing, i removed ALL my custom scripts that affected distro files, kept only my accounts file and started over.

I mean it's not like there aren't going to be tons of systems posted for 2.0 anyhow.

But for Admins that have completely custom servers with all kinds of modifications, guess what? Grab a few 2 liters of Jolt, and get to work. ;)

~Evil Jason

*grabs a bunch of jolt/red bull...*

Edit: Actually, all I really wanted was the preformance part and the new spellbooks. Wouldn't that just mean that I can slap the RUO 2.0's Server.exe into my RUO 1.0 folder and run that? lol

Phantom

Knight
IHaveRegistered said:
*grabs a bunch of jolt/red bull...*

Edit: Actually, all I really wanted was the preformance part and the new spellbooks. Wouldn't that just mean that I can slap the RUO 2.0's Server.exe into my RUO 1.0 folder and run that? lol

You CANNOT do this.

Even if it works you SHOULD NOT do this

sicron

Sorceror
One other thing I hope you all keep in miind (I know for a fact some of you have preached this but I havent seen it mentioned in this thread), but before some of you do too much work changing things over, you have to remember this is not a final release... just a release canidate... so even more things are subject to change, so unless your making changes just for some practice (we could all always use some of that ;) ), just dont be surprised or upset if something changes in the final, or rc2, rc3, etc... and you have to change things all over again.
Even in the initial posts about the release, ryan and others have warned over and over that this should not be used for a production shard unless you really know what your doing...

David

Moderate
Exactly. This is a Release Candidate guys. More than anything else it should be used by scriptors to update their scripts and by scriptors and experienced Admins to do broad testing of the release to report back to the Dev team.

And no, an "update all these scripts to 2.0" script is way past feasible, if it is even possible. There are a dozen ways to program any given minor thing--and that is just the ways that would actually work. Writing a program to analyze all possible ways any possible script could be coded and then spit out an updated script would IMHO be a bigger project than RunUO 2.0 is.

Having said that, give me a few days and I will write a script to convert my Spawner2 items to the new distro Spawner.

This is pretty sweet though even if its not a final version of RunUO 2. I found a small problem in the tokuno treasures already though lol its the pigments they will not dye everything that they should be able to. Minor artifacts were not dyeable with them I tested the nox green pigments on a soul seeker it was a no go I tried them on a Hat of the Magi and it worked but did not have sound these should make the sound a dye tub makes.

At any rate that is a small time bug I would say lol the performance is excellent and the new features rock.

kmwill23

Sorceror
*Going back to original topic, since I know the poster kinda*

No matter what you do, depending on the amount of mods that have been made and your skill level at navigating them, updating to 2.0 properly will take time. With that in mind, try to follow this:

1. Keep your production shard online running 1.0.
2. All your upgrading should take place on an offline copy of your server, so your players can continue to play.
3. Go through every file in every folder and find any changes that have been made. Apply those changes as best you can to the new RunUO 2.0 files.
- This can get complicated if you or your staff haven't been properly commenting changes and noting changed stock files. If this is the case, you should either stick with 1.0 or restart your shard on RunUO 2.0.
4. Don't be afraid of compile errors, they are there to direct you to the places that need changes. Quite often, a compile error will alert you to a few changes you forgot about.
5. There are some notable changes to the RunUO distro that will make custom commands, context menus, and regions not work properly. This will take some research, and I have no doubt all questions concerning these changes will be asked and answered on these forums.

Upgrading will not be fun. It will take time. You may get headaches. If you stay the course and get it working, you will have had a valuable learning experience and will have a RunUO with many new and exciting features.

~Addition

And it has been said to remember that this is a only a release canidate =) I'd follow that suggestion, to wait until the final.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
echoes the rest of the crew...

Most of the script pplz will have new versions out for sure before the final release. So just relax and enjoy the ride until then.

orgis

Wanderer
Phantom said:
You compare every file, and any file that you cannot live the Server not loading into the world, merge the changes. They were several files about 5 that contained spelling mistakes, be sure you delete the old incorrect spelling files, for those that been corrected.

A very usefull free program i found linked in here i think is winmerge it compares files for you and displays the differences

here is the link to it winmerge

jorisan

Wanderer
Takes time, to get it going smoothly

As a player, I am excited about the changes, as the owner of a shard, It is a long job to get things to convert smoothly. I have saved every script that I have downloaded from RunUo over the past few years. I have taken each one and placed in on 2.0 and started it up. If it ran, good, if not it got taken off. I have two files, one is "Test" the other is "Working" so each new script I have to try is placed in the "Test" folder and run.

It took Ryan and his team Many Many months and sleepless nights to get it here for us to use, now it is up to us to get it moving along and work out the bugs. It will not happen over night and you should expect to spend many days working on your shard to get it working smoothly as well

Thanks Ryan for all your hard work

We are very happy to have it going.:D

Sven3331

Wanderer
screw the new UO, screw EA

The new UO crap is stupid, EA games is just screwed warriors over and adding pointless stuff.
tell me, was UO made for elves and asian classes. NO it is eropean based in the ealy renaissance.
I still have 1.0, and its not bad. there is no good reason to upgrade. i still wish i had the really old version of RunUO.
The only reason why i play UO is because its customize-able and its mostly
2D but i stoped playing UO for over a year and I come back and they have this elf crap, i quit playing because of SE and now they have ML, how pointless and stupid.

So what im saying is only get 2.0 if you don't have RunUO at all.