RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I spoke with god...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer706

Sorceror
I have to have posted this at least three times already.... Religion is based off of if a God exists because if the question had never been asked there would not be religion.

Religion is a 'what if' because it is not a fact that God exists. Therefore the main question to religion is "Does a God exist?", if the person answers 'yes' then they worship a God and if they answer 'no' they don't. Without that question there would be no concept of a God. Without a concept of a God, there is nothing to worship. Without worship there is no religion.

Johabius

Knight
I just fear that I'll never know the answer about the dinosaurs. Well, since I'm going to be immortal, I guess I have the time to figure it out on my own:D

kellsar

Wanderer
mmm... facts... don't believe them, then you must be one of those people who don't believe in dinosaurs (even though there is hard, ROCK SOLID evidence...)

god, or spirits... or even concepts of a higher being...

when did these creep up?
about the cromagnum era (before i think... dun remember, this was the era that put me to sleep in world history :eek: )

at first, it was, believe it or not, a POLYtheistic (it is NOW a word :p) religion as the first one, well, in existence.

later, it was still poly... tribes have their spirits (native indians)...

i think babylon may have had the first mono, but, again, this was the era, still, that left me dozing off...

greeks (early history, well, lets just say it all clicked better than my remote for my TV...) had a poly base, so did the romans, so did the egyptions... well, that is just a few to have listed (btw... england, before the romans invaded was poly, so were the jutes, and saxon, and the anglo....)

so... umm... yea... you also have your mono ones, like allah, judiasm, christianity... i mean, these have the one god thing...

most eastern, if not, all, have either several dieties (hiduism, japanese (don't remember atm)...)or none/impartial (taoism, budhism(although, some want to argue that buddah is a diety... well, don't tell that to a monk :p) these two just don't see the point in worshipping a god... what does it have to do with the here and now? nothing, weather i believe in it or not, it will not affect me.)

so...

did god create man...
or... (OMFG!!!) :eek:
did man create... :eek:
god...:eek:

:D

oh yea, nice 2 c that my immortality thing is spreading... i love plagues... lol, i might see an immortality script for players so that they have a deed to click whenever to give them like 5 secs of immortality... just an idea :D

David

Moderate
Slayer you are fundamentaly wrong in what you think religon is based off of. Not that I agree by any means with all WarAngel says but he is correct in this. To me because I have faith in God there is no "what if" instead it is a fact as firm as any any other. The Bible even speaks on this...
Hebrews 11:1 said:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
There may be a "what if" in your mind, but there is no question to me, God exists.

kellsar

Wanderer
David said:
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

uh oh...

faith = substance of objects hoped for
substance of objects hoped for = things not there

by the algebraic method we can conclude...

faith = things not there...

like i said...

opps...

EDIT: don't wanna tear u apart david, im just pointing out something...

David

Moderate
You miss the point. Faith gives substance to what you cannot touch or feel, it alone is all the evidence necessary to a believer.

kellsar

Wanderer
ahh i c what you mean now...

but...

heheheh, how can it have substance if it is not physically there? (yes, a thought is a substance because it is electricity running about on paths within your mind and it also...........)

time 4 bed 4 me, tommarow i will bug ya :)

TMSTKSBK

Lord
"Faith is the evidence of things unseen. I cannot see the wind -- I see the effects of the wind, but I cannot see the wind."
-some famous evangelist

And yet, we all know the wind is there. To believers, the effects of those unseen things are just as evident as the wind is to everyone.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
TMSTKSBK said:
"Faith is the evidence of things unseen. I cannot see the wind -- I see the effects of the wind, but I cannot see the wind."
-some famous evangelist

And yet, we all know the wind is there. To believers, the effects of those unseen things are just as evident as the wind is to everyone.
Yes, but we can test to ensure that the wind is indeed there if anyone had any doubts.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Feel free to write a mathematical proof for the existence or lack thereof of God.
...and tests are still an "effect" of the wind. It is "evidence".

Faith is the evidence in the case of God. It is an "effect" of God.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Measure faith and create an experiment to prove/disprove the existence of a god, then we can compare it to wind.

As its evident this thread isnt going to die soon( damn ) im just going to watch everyone talk, my views have been stated so theres not much more for me to say.

*grabs some popcorn*

[Edit]Wtf I hit the quote button?[/Edit]

Johabius

Knight
I was about to post that we can feel the wind, but then I figured that people that believe in God can feel God, so I guess that really doesn't help.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
I don't even care tbh, I am 100% athiest so my views won't be changing... ever. So I mean I can respect other peoples beliefs but I won't have someone else telling me I am wrong when they have no room to talk.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Faith is a boolean. 0 or 1. Granted, there are degrees of faith. But having faith is a boolean.
And you're getting close to ad hominem arguments.

TMSTKSBK said:
Faith is a boolean. 0 or 1.
And you're getting close to ad hominem arguments.

Lol.

I still think its funny someone used wind as an analogy .. *laughs*

Anywho, this thread should end soon. Religion threads piss someone off at some point and the flame wars start.

Slayer706

Sorceror
David, I am not saying God doesn't exist or that he does. That is the point. Religion is based on 'If a God exists' because you either believe in a God or you don't. Like I said, it doesn't matter what you believe, neither 'God does exist' nor 'God doesn't exist' are facts. Neither can be confirmed, so neither are facts. It is that simple. All I am saying is, religion is based on 'If there is a God' because your answer to that question determines whether you are a part of an organized religion.
I understand what you are saying, but if there were any true cold hard facts on either side there would be no debate about whether or not there is a God would there? Facts are not relative to who is viewing them.

David

Moderate
OK, I see what you are saying. However I will not concede to the lack of confirmation of God as a fact.
Slayer706 said:
Facts are not relative to who is viewing them.
But they are--they certainly seem to be in the case of the moon landing thing for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.