RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you could change the world...

Malaperth

Wanderer
I have had a "fair" solution for years (even if it's silly)... Line up the population and the first two flip a coin. Loser gets shot. Every other person in line gets shot. Get out of line, shot...

FireSoul

Wanderer
Ya know guys....

The problem with the world is NOT that there are too many people on it. The problem is that we refuse to work together. I believe that the only thing that would happen if half the people disappeared, would be to have all the same problems... just half the number of people causing them. It would do nothing, except seriously impact the lives of all the people left. We could not sustain industrialized society with only half the current population, which would cause a whole host of new problems (unless of course you only kill unskilled people, many of which would end up being children). This is not a viable solution. IMHO.

FireSoul

Wanderer
We have plenty of space, and resources. There is no reason for hunger or poverty anywhere on this planet. We have enough. We just have to learn to play well with others. Greed is born out of fear.

mordero

Knight
FireSoul;643942 said:
OK, then I don't understand why all the discussion regarding killing off half the population.

well this is a rough estimate, but about half the population are complete and utter idiots who are about as dumb as a rock.

FireSoul;643944 said:
We have plenty of space, and resources. There is no reason for hunger or poverty anywhere on this planet. We have enough. We just have to learn to play well with others. Greed is born out of fear.

Actually, there is a shortage of fresh water, land (no more is being made, so there's a shortage), and intelligence. And I dont see greed as being born out of fear. I dont think that Mr Dictator in Africa is scared of much (other than UN intervention) when he controls the army, economy, etc but wants more and more for himself. Its more of greed is born from wanting power to control others or whatnot.

FireSoul

Wanderer
mordero;643950 said:
well this is a rough estimate, but about half the population are complete and utter idiots who are about as dumb as a rock.

Actually, there is a shortage of fresh water, land (no more is being made, so there's a shortage), and intelligence. And I dont see greed as being born out of fear. I dont think that Mr Dictator in Africa is scared of much (other than UN intervention) when he controls the army, economy, etc but wants more and more for himself. Its more of greed is born from wanting power to control others or whatnot.

It would depend on your definition of *dumb as a rock* I suppose. The majority of the global population have IQ's in the below to average range.

As for fresh water, we have the technology to purify water, and it rains. We do have the resources to sustain our current population. And we have more than enough land to sustain our current population. Keep in mind I'm speaking globally. We have to make changes for the future, but killing off half the population is a tad extreme.

What do you think wanting power to control others is? That is fear. Fear of losing your status, wealth, food supply, mate, whatever. Wanting it all (greed), is simply a manifestation of being afraid of having nothing. Bullies, bully out of fear. Get them before they get you. That is fear.

David

Moderate
mordero;643950 said:

FireSoul;644019 said:
It would depend on your definition of *dumb as a rock* I suppose. The majority of the global population have IQ's in the below to average range.

Just a guess, mind you; but I'd say just under half the population has an IQ that is below average.

siran

Sorceror
David;644187 said:
Just a guess, mind you; but I'd say just under half the population has an IQ that is below average.

*laughs*
...and congratulates David on being in the upper half.

FireSoul

Wanderer
David;644187 said:

The most recent stats I've read say the average IQ is around 100. Aprox 80% fall between 70-110 with 10% each falling above and below that range.

Kiwi

Knight
If I could change the world.

Everyone would realize my opinions are right and theirs are wrong.

FireSoul

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;644305 said:
COMPROMISE:

We can agree to disagree...no matter how wrong you might be.

I have no idea why you people keep insisting on making me choke on my tea.

It's rude and hurts my sinuses.

Stop it :p

MarciXs

Sorceror
Dunno with word World I could not think about society. But as most of you with word means people. Then, I would , if i could, made the life four times shorter. If you live only till 25. That would be nice :) . a least those who plan their bomb attacks for some years had to plan them faster:eek:

mordero

Knight
David;644187 said:

By statistics, exactly half would be below average. (see below)

FireSoul;644229 said:
The most recent stats I've read say the average IQ is around 100. Aprox 80% fall between 70-110 with 10% each falling above and below that range.
Thats because 100 is supposed to be the mark where half of the population are above and half is below. So having a 100 IQ would fluctuate over time, if people start having a higher or lower IQ.