RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Game Map Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Praxiiz

Sorceror
Status Update
I acquired a copy of the god client, but I'm not going to focus on patching the grid in until the other functionality of the project is finished.

The [LiveFreeze command works with a bounding box - you can now freeze items into the map and see them reappear. (It actually just looks like their hue changes)
I figured out how to deal with the changing size of the statics file (the client's "view" of the statics file couldn't get any bigger because it uses memory mapped files, but I found a way around it). I couldn't finish the freeze command until I figured this out, so its a major step forward.

Multi-Boxing now possible (each client must have its own folder with the full game client). For now this will not change.
Added another "tab" to razor which will show the version of the project and eventually it will have a "defrag" button for the statics file.

Currently, the project does not support map diffs. (i.e. clients before 6)
The next big thing on my list is figuring out a hashing scheme for server/client so it will send only map updates that are needed.

I'll try to get another video done when I have time.

Xavier_WER

Sorceror
The gridview could be done by just altering the mul files, it's abit more work but I did it myself once to aid in house placement.
I never did finish it however, but I've got a screenshot on the first try. Doesn't look perfect but you get the idea

Xavier_WER

Sorceror
Ah, so there still is a god client!
However I don't believe we'd ever see it other than accidental screencaptures.

Their response on facebook when someone commented "UO Team plays old client?"
-LOL ... Ummm the team switches between clients :)

They could however be referring to classic client/enchanced client

pooka01

Sorceror
thinking about the house placement thing, and the catapult parts?
You know, when you place a house its transparent, and you can move all the house around, why not just doing a 8*8 area of grid with the statics 5787 and 5824. and an option to turn on/off, + a marble paver with a render maybe.
I think that it would maybe reduce the "loading the grid" stuff. And it would be a bit useful
Maybe there is some other statics that are square size, like, the water, there's a 90 angle with small size, colored it would fit. its 6038 for the statics.

Edit* - - - -
But Ive just realised that the statics cant be curved... So, for the cliffs it wont be usefull...

In centred there's an option to put every tiles at the z 0, with numbers on them to see the high, maybe it would be a nice option? -- fixing the static curving problem :D

Praxiiz

Sorceror
Update:
I have a basic hashing/versioning system in place. As players run around they validate their map blocks with the server.
If a map block doesn't have the same version as the server, the block is automatically sent to the client.
Implemented [setstatic command to change the ID of a static

At this point, the system is just lacking a few basic commands:

[deletestatic [addstatic [movestatic
[wipestatics [levelterrain [incterrainarea

Those are a few of the ones I can think of - any suggestions on my command names would be appreciated as well as other
commands that would be useful.

Vorspire

Knight
Praxliz, from your stand-point, do you think it is viable to keep the current way things are frozen as unchanged, but instead of letting items just vanish from sight, spoof the WorldItem packet to make it appear to be there temporarily?
I'm sure there is a way to spoof the packets for the client to display things that are not really there, because I've managed to implement that hallucination effect used by Sphere and it seemed to work OK.
I only ask because I really don't want to have to edit the client myself or use a custom client to do it.
Of course, what you are working on would certainly be more powerful that the packet spoofing method, but I'd like a non-obtrusive method too :)

Praxiiz

Sorceror
Let me run you through an example installation, both server end and client end and we'll see if you think its too obtrusive :)

On the server end, you drop the scripts I've developed into a folder in your customs folder. You make one change to
Playermobile.cs.

On the client end, you drop 4 files into your razor folder and rename one of them.

No changes are made to the client exe, and you don't have to use a custom client exe.

The mul files in your client folder (the one specified or autodetected by razor) are automatically updated. The statics files are
periodically defragmented to match the server. (This hasn't been implemented, but is very simple to do.)

Edit: Poor spelling

Vorspire

Knight
I suppose, to be honest, the benefits of your project outweigh the installation complexity, that's a good approach and I would be willing to take those steps to use it, thanks for the concise reply.

Just for the record, my shard allows encrypted clients to login, I've only ever used a standard client to login, with no 3rd-party applications like Razor.
Does this mean that I require Razor in order to use your project? -Not that I have any problems with using it, but it is a bit buggy on my Win7 installation.
If yes, do you think at any point you will be releasing a method that doesn't require a 3rd-party application like Razor?

Thanks again :)

Vorspire

Knight
I believe mark fixed all of the problems razor had with 64bit Win7 in his last Razor patch. :/

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about Razor, but the bugs and errors I get can be dealt with by ignoring them lol. Every sso often, the screen flashes to desktop, I assume it's something to do with certain animations, or the "always on top" option, or something like that. Besides the flashing, I get cliloc not found error and such, but they cause no problems. I'm aware of other solutions to these problems, but I can assure you they exist in my installation of Razor, which is fresh. I'm using the most recent SA client and RunUO 2.1.

Xavier_WER

Sorceror
Let me run you through an example installation, both server end and client end and we'll see if you think its too obtrusive :)

On the server end, you drop the scripts I've developed into a folder in your customs folder. You make one change to
Playermobile.cs.

On the client end, you drop 4 files into your razor folder and rename one of them.

No changes are made to the client exe, and you don't have to use a custom client exe.

The mul files in your client folder (the one specified or autodetected by razor) are automatically updated. The statics files are
periodically defragmented to match the server. (This hasn't been implemented, but is very simple to do.)

Edit: Poor spelling
This is some really interresting work you've been able to develop
Being able to make map changes in realtime and even stream that to players is incredible, might even consider the management to implement it as a sub-feature in razor so no custom installation is required for players on a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.