RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a LEGIT UO: Renaissance shard out there?

Zythar

Squire
Is there a LEGIT UO: Renaissance shard out there?

Is there a UO: Renaissance shard out there? I mean like OSI clone of the renaissance era?

That would include trammel and fel only.

No "developer's funland of customs and all types of spaztistic colors...." Just, simple, pure renaissance era.

This is what im looking for...

Link:

Ultima Online: Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online:_Renaissance said:
Ultima Online: Renaissance is the second expansion to the popular Ultima Online (UO) MMORPG. Released on May 4, 2000, it added content, fixed bugs, and made gameplay changes in response to common player complaints.

Prior to its release, the expansion was said to double the amount of room in the game, but that it would not use a duplicate of the map, rather it would be adding new content. It was later found in the previews that Renaissance simply added a mirror world under different rules. Felucca and Trammel were created, the first one with "player vs. player killing" allowed, and the second with only consensual combat.

Macil

Sorceror
I don't think that wiki page really narrows down a whole lot of the features that were around in that time, heh. Renaissance was the first game I picked up and I barely even remember what was around then, other than craft windows being hugely different.

HellRazor

Knight
The biggest changes were to housing (lockdowns, etc.) and the introduction of Felucca/Trammel rulesets.

Other big changes (i.e. different damage types/resistances, different ores and materials offering different resistances, neon weapon types, etc.) I don't think came along until AOS.

Jeff

Lord
You wont find a server that is legit because everyone has minor differences in their recollections of how things worked back then... I use to run a server that was UOR to what I remember and what UO's patch notes said (+ the prima guide) but there were still assholes who claim I wasn't spot on and that they remembered what it was like better.... good luck.

HellRazor

Knight
It was essentially T2A plus more secure housing (house looting and griefing were big issues at that time) plus introduction of Trammel plus introduction of Haven on the Trammel map w/new player tutorial quest. I think the party system was introduced at that time also. Can't remember when factions came in but I think it was later. UO: R may have also been when they changed the karma system from the old Great Lord/Dread Lord system, can't quite remember.

ORIGIN - Ultima Online - Main

But not aware of any UO: R specific servers.

Jeff

Lord
HellRazor;862206 said:
It was essentially T2A plus more secure housing (house looting and griefing were big issues at that time) plus introduction of Trammel plus introduction of Haven on the Trammel map w/new player tutorial quest. I think the party system was introduced at that time also. Can't remember when factions came in but I think it was later. UO: R may have also been when they changed the karma system from the old Great Lord/Dread Lord system, can't quite remember.

ORIGIN - Ultima Online - Main

But not aware of any UO: R specific servers.

Actually was completely different from T2A, it was the introduction of more templates with things like Lumberjacking helping axe attacks, poison mages, scribe mages, etc.. It was nothing like T2A :)

Deimos

Page
I think the only way to get a server close to T2A standard as possible, is to go through all the patch notes on UO.com to find out what it was like, before the next expansion came out.

UOR covers a time when many transitions came into play.

I owned an early release of UOR, probably the first. House looting was still really in effect. Deeds of all types, boat keys, house keys, you name it it was stealable. Wooden objects could be destroyed with an ax. People stored their items in houses in wooden boxes. You could have as many pets as you could control. I do recall seeing 9 dragons following behind one tamer. Trapped boxes gave murder counts to the crafter and the better ones killed. I remember mages on foot. The bladespirit bug that would give GM resist.

Then.... doom on the game, special moves, then factions trammel and new facets new special moves ect. it was later expansions, publish 14 15 16 ect. So anyone's "real" idea of what a UOR shard is can be as varied as the publishes during that era.

HellRazor

Knight
Jeff;862214 said:
Actually was completely different from T2A, it was the introduction of more templates with things like Lumberjacking helping axe attacks, poison mages, scribe mages, etc.. It was nothing like T2A :)

Yeah, I didn't really word that very well. I didn't mean to infer that UO:R was like T2A. What I was trying to say is, UO:R was the first real major change to UO's game mechanics. T2A added new lands, monsters, and mounts but really didn't do anything to the basic game mechanics. To make a UO:R server you really need to go way back.

Jeff

Lord
Stygian Stalker;862245 said:
I owned an early release of UOR, probably the first.
I'm just curious... how did you OWN a really early release of the game? Since we all played it, we all got patched at the same time.... :)

Tresdni

Squire
I actually have a UOR server in the works, but cannot say the name, nor site. Just stating the fact that more of us are also missing the UOR days.

Not everyone that loved pre-AOS gaming liked to be in Felucca, which is exactly what made UOR so priceless. I can even remember selling houses in felucca, and players sending me ICQ messages "I'll be there as soon as I can find a moonstone."

Ahh...memories.

Jeff;862313 said:
I'm just curious... how did you OWN a really early release of the game? Since we all played it, we all got patched at the same time.... :)

what I meant was I have a UOR CD laying around somewhere. When I started it was before special moves and all the things that came afterwards. It was still considered UOR but there were no factions, only the one facet, mages couldn't cast mounted, near everything was stealable and lootable, traps did real damage, wooden lock downs could be destroyed with an ax, and tamers could have bunches of pets but had to A kill B kill ect....

Later they added special moves. Still considered UOR by many. Then factionsand facets if I am not mistaken. It was near this time I left for free shards.

So my point was that the UOR ideal shard means different things to those remembering different publishes. And without making every tree in game and tons of other objects LOS blockers you really miss alot of what that time frame meant.

Jeff

Lord
Stygian Stalker;862450 said:
what I meant was I have a UOR CD laying around somewhere. When I started it was before special moves and all the things that came afterwards. It was still considered UOR but there were no factions, only the one facet, mages couldn't cast mounted, near everything was stealable and lootable, traps did real damage, wooden lock downs could be destroyed with an ax, and tamers could have bunches of pets but had to A kill B kill ect....

Later they added special moves. Still considered UOR by many. Then factionsand facets if I am not mistaken. It was near this time I left for free shards.

So my point was that the UOR ideal shard means different things to those remembering different publishes. And without making every tree in game and tons of other objects LOS blockers you really miss alot of what that time frame meant.

I Agree, and that is why you cannot have a legit server unless you build it how you remember it.... no one will make it just like you remember (not to mention a lot of the changes in a time period are to fix bugs and balance the game, which if you don't do will cause issues on your server ... )

Cornwallis

Sorceror
Everything UP TO AoS would be a neat server to play on. The last patch they had before they put in Luna, necro/chiv, ect ect