RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's that time again.

bzk90

Lord
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

That was the official pledge from 1923 to 1954, I believe in the seperation of church and state but I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. You can't please everybody so naturally people try to please the majority. The major faith in America is chrisitanity (about 80%) and therefore it makes sence that the word "God" remain in the pledge. We can either have 20% of the american citezens bitching or we can have 80%, the choice is obvious.

bzk90 said:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

That was the official pledge from 1923 to 1954, I believe in the seperation of church and state but I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. You can't please everybody so naturally people try to please the majority. The major faith in America is chrisitanity (about 80%) and therefore it makes sence that the word "God" remain in the pledge. We can either have 20% of the american citezens bitching or we can have 80%, the choice is obvious.
but they shouldnt be bitching in the first place because IT WASNT IN IT. They added it just to piss off athesists, therefore they are just as trivial as us.

Anti-Basic said:
but they shouldnt be bitching in the first place because IT WASNT IN IT. They added it just to piss off athesists, therefore they are just as trivial as us.

They didn't add it to piss of athiests holy fuck stop being so god damn paranoid and thinking every one is against athiests. Oh my god. It's sick dude. It was added in, just like manythings in life are changed but guess what? People get used to it. Please do the world a favor? BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.

Storm33229 said:
They didn't add it to piss of athiests holy fuck stop being so god damn paranoid and thinking every one is against athiests. Oh my god. It's sick dude. It was added in, just like manythings in life are changed but guess what? People get used to it. Please do the world a favor? BE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE.
actually it was... it was added b/c of the scopes trials:p

bzk90

Lord
AB you are ignorant on the subject. It was not added to piss athiests off.
It was added to please a group of jehovas witnesses in the 40's. They said that swearing allegiance to anything lower than "God" violated their right to freely excecise religion. You need to note that atheism represented a very small portion of the population back then.

The simple answer is that there is no right answer, You both argue the 1st amendment and therefore you will continue to go in an infinite loop.

athiest:God should be removed from the pledge because it's against my religous beliefs and the 1st amendment states that I have the right to excercise my religion freely.

christian:God should be added to the pledge because I cant swear my allegiance to anything lower than him. If you dont add it then you are violating my rights as an american due to the 1st amendment.

Everyone needs to shut the **** about it. This is why everybody should find faith for themselves and not take part in organized religion.

bzk90 said:
AB you are ignorant on the subject. It was not added to piss athiests off.
It was added to please a group of jehovas witnesses in the 40's. They said that swearing allegiance to anything lower than "God" violated their right to freely excecise religion. You need to note that atheism represented a very small portion of the population back then.

The simple answer is that there is no right answer, You both argue the 1st amendment and therefore you will continue to go in an infinite loop.

athiest:God should be removed from the pledge because it's against my religous beliefs and the 1st amendment states that I have the right to excercise my religion freely.

christian:God should be added to the pledge because I cant swear my allegiance to anything lower than him. If you dont add it then you are violating my rights as an american due to the 1st amendment.

Everyone needs to shut the **** about it. This is why everybody should find faith for themselves and not take part in organized religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegience#Addition_of_the_words_.22under_God.22

-Storm

bzk90

Lord
I suppose there is even a 2 way argument on the history of the addition of the words "under God" to the pledge.

bzk90

Lord
*adds another line to my list of "Why I Hate Zealots" *

True wisdom is possessed only by those who think for themselves and do not force their thoughts onto others

bzk90 said:
*adds another line to my list of "Why I Hate Zealots" *

True wisdom is possessed only by those who think for themselves and do not force their thoughts onto others

Yeah and people who know shit.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Here's my View...I don't like organized religeon and think it should be outlawed. Beleive in God, Satan, or Spegetti Monsters if you wish but I'm tired of all the hateful, hypocritical, self-serving, loathsome, crap that goes on in the name of religeon...

Faith and beleiving in something is not a bad thing, using it as an excuse to dictate what someone else should think and beleive and how they live is. You want to go to Heaven, Vahalla, Elyson, or where ever fine....Let the other person burn in Hell from your point of view it's none of your concern or business. QUIT TRYING TO CONVERT PEOPLE and Please stop with the "My God is better than Your God" crap.

For those who aren't religous that's fine too but don't go around trying to convert everyone to Athiesm either it's a two way street. If everyone felt this way there would be no lawsuits or bickering over words and yes that's all they are is words printed on paper they mean nothing more or less than what you want them to. This would stop war and terrorism the wasting of tons of lives and resources and would finally get TMS laid.

Me I beleive in the Occult too much to follow the standard belief structures out there.....I'll just go back to letting you all bitch and bicker with each other then procede to bind you to my will just take a look at poor Pacolaco2

bzk90

Lord
For the sake of TMS...stop all the downloading...im the juggernaut bitch...you just got owned...All hail the spaghetti monster!

[/random]

Oh stfu, Im not even going to go back through and read all this crap.
You are bitching about people bitching about it being in there ... greate, now I get to hear you bitch about it whilst I get to hear them bitch about it. Stfu and go on your merry goddamn way. Having it in there at all is bullshit, and yes all that crap SHOULD be removed for government things like schools and money. I shouldnt have to goddamn say "under god" just so I can fully say the pledge and support my country. Sure I could change it but then im not saying our pledge im saying my modified version. Just stfu and go on about your bizness, its what I do.

( btw, you are being a douche in this thread. You purposly tried to get people who disagree with you to avoid posting in your thread. Im not sure if you just didnt want to hear a good valid point or what but its a pretty shit thing to do. )

bzk90

Lord
GJ on making yourself look like a complete ass.

Great now I read about somebody bitching about people bitching at people who are bitching and now im bitching.

See where im going with this?

We all have our opinions and this is both mans fundamental flaw and one of his best redeeming qualities.

I bitched about it because I was provoked to do it. I normally mind my own goddamn bizness and go on silently sos I dont piss people off like he did me.

bzk90

Lord
most people bitch because they are provoked. How are you any different for better or for worse from us?

He didnt have to start a whole goddamn thread about it, just like you dont have to parade around with your asshat "I know all" attitude correcting everyone and being an overall pain in the ass.

PappaSmurf

Knight
You know I wouldn't mind so much if what ever diety came down and sat next to me and said "Wassup" and showed me more than documents written and transcribed by unknown people over the course of the past 2000 years. But of course it dosen't work that way does it. I mean all any of the "Big 3" (Christianity, Islam, Judean) belief structures have are documents that are claimed to have been inspired by God. Here's a little food for thought, Ancient Greek, and Roman works that were tales and stories of their gods histories and enitre mythos were thought by those people to have been inspired by what ever god or goddess they pertained too.

btw for those who are actually interested in what words mean here is the histroy of the word Religion as per the Marriam-Webster Dictionary
Main Entry: re·li·gion
Pronunciation: ri-'li-j&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back

1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : [SIZE=-1]CONSCIENTIOUSNESS[/SIZE]
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

One common theme in this Definition is that it mentions tie back, restrain, scrupulous conformity, words that define basically slavery.

Religon was invented by man to cause society to confrom to a set of standards....God may have created the universe in the sense described in the Bible but man created God in the sense that he is worshiped.

bzk90

Lord
So, you came to a dicussion forum thread that was clearly designed for people to post their opinions and you then proceeded to post a bitch about people posting their opinions...

Call me a "know it all asshat" all you like, forgive me for trying to understand more than the average ditch digger. Im especialy curious as to how people like you manage to survive in this world without getting jumped on a regular basis.