RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MulEditor

floppydisc

Sorceror
Version 0.5

I just finished the new version 0.5 of MulEditor. I rewrote the complete internal file handling and it now allows for direct editing of the mul files. There is also the possibility to defragment existing mul files (right click on "Art", "Gump" or "Textures" in the tree view).
Also I added a highlight to the currently selected tile in the art and texture browser and when resizing, the selected tile stays selected.

Please test it and tell me if everything works ok. Due to these big changes in the file handling there could be some bugs I currently don't know about - but it worked for me quite well so far ;)

--> Download here <--

floppydisc

Sorceror
I hope so ;) But I think I will change that a bit. For example it does not seem to be useful to switch between "weapon" and "armor" - OSI/EA uses only the "weapon" attribute (yes, even for armor, cloths, etc. etc.)
If you have any suggestions regarding that wizard, just tell me :)

floppydisc

Sorceror
Version 0.6 Beta

I finally finished the Map Editor. If you want to help me testing it, feel free to download the installer: http://www.aksdb.org/downloads/MulEditor_0-6.exe

Just to give you a look at what is waiting for you, here is a screenshot:

I hope you have fun testing it and building your maps :)

SiENcE

Sorceror
I think it's currently the fastest and best modern MapEditor around. I hope the development goes strait forward.

I like the fast scrolling interface and the style how to select and deselect areas. Also it's a short to change the height value of one or more tiles. :)

keep on good working

SiENcE^Iris 3D-Client Team

Iomega0318

Sorceror
Im so glad I refound this lol... I had to wipe my comp a few months ago and lost everything so Ive been looking for this again so I could quit getting MegaClicoc errors and all is well now thanx for the mapeditor as well

LowCastle

Wanderer
I must be missing something

Hey thanks for the great tool floppydisc! I have been trying to use it to edit my tiledata.mul file. I feel like a total newb, posting here with questions like these but I can't figure this out.

In the filebrowser on the right, I go to TileData > Static Tiles and I double-click on one of the entries. I get a very neat looking gump where I can enable/disable flags by checking boxes. I check a box then go to hit the OK button but there is no OK button. If I simply close the gump, the changes are not saved . . .

Could you please walk me through how to make a change to my tiledata.mul?

Thanks! :eek:

floppydisc

Sorceror
Do you use the most recent version (at least 0.5, but better 0.6)? If not, then you can't directly edit these files.
>>Here<< you can download the most recent version.

LowCastle

Wanderer
*sigh*
Yep I was using an old version. I had just downloaded it from your site yesterday, but I used the link in the main post rather than the one further down in the thread.

*EDIT*
I am still having trouble saving the changes I have made. The instructions in the main post are for adding new art to an unused tile. If I try opening the tiledata.mul using the verdata editor I get some kind of access error, so I assume that I just edit the tiledata as I described in my previous post. This time I have an OK button to push, but what next? The updated tiledata file is not saved anywhere, nor is there an option to save it.

Thanks for the quick answer! I really like this tool.

floppydisc

Sorceror
I just tried it and had no problems (otherwise I would probably have had them before and fixed them :D).
The access violation you get came because the verdata editor is for verdata not for tiledata ;) Verdata.mul was some kind of patch format EA/OSI used to update client data. It can contain several different types of content (nearly everything of the other mul files). I implemented that mostly because I still use the verdata as a format for patch transfer. (As you probably noticed, MulEditor includes the option to create a SFX Verdata Patcher - that means, that it "converts" a verdata.mul into an executable which can patch the content of the verdata back into the original mul files, so it is easier for admins to distribute new content even to clients above version 4.0.5b).

The instructions of the first post are more or less outdated, as they still use the verdata editor. You can directly edit a tiledata entry if you double click it on the right side (in the "Mul files"-tree). When you change something there and hit "ok", it should already be saved. The same with art, gump, etc.
You can test it by double clicking the same entry again and you should see the updated info (or you just close the editor and look ingame :D)

If there is still trouble, let me know :)

floppydisc

Sorceror
To hear that from you - the one whos tool was my inspiration - is a great honor ;)
But I still have some small glitches to fix. I think a new version will be ready in a few days (nothing great, just bug fix and an easier way to select new tileIDs in drawing mode - using right click)

LowCastle

Wanderer
Thanks floppydisc! I downloaded version 5 and it worked good. I'll give version 6 a try again later. The shortcut on my desktop to version 6 says "readonly mode" so that may have something to do with it. (not sure)
This was my first attempt at editing a mul, so I'm using that as my excuse. ;)

Anyway, sorry for so much trouble. It works great!

floppydisc

Sorceror
There should actually be two shortcuts. The readonly mode was included to allow muleditor to be used as viewer. In this mode it does open all files only in read mode so you can't modify them which in turn makes it possible to launch the uo client while the "editor" is still open. (Although it degrades it to a "viewer" ;))

floppydisc

Sorceror
Version 0.6.1

Tools
I added a map generator (which simply generates map*.mul, statics*.mul and staidx*.mul for the specified size). You can also specify a height map which should be a grayscale bitmap with the same size as the desired map. The grayscale values from 0 to 255 are then mapped to the according Z values of -128 to 127.

MapEditor
I added the ability to jump to the tileID under the cursor in draw mode (using right click) so it is easy to "copy" or reuse tiles.
There is now also a function to randomize the altitude of selected tiles within a specified range (so you can easier make natural looking terrain by for example specifying a range between -2 and 3 for a selected area of grass).
A bug was fixed which *could* occur while saving changes to the map/statics (showing an Access Violation).

I updated the installer so you can simply redownload 0.6 and it will include the most recent executable.

Thanks you very much for this application, it solves me a lot of problems. One suggestion: Could you implement a tool to modify animations? Nothing like mulbuilder, only a sensitive tool to change the model numbers without difficulty (i'm very noob at mul edition, so that suggestion can be stupid, sorry if it is).

:)

floppydisc

Sorceror
I will definitely implement support for anim editing, but I'm not yet sure how exactly that will look like. Once I have an idea how to implement that functional *and* user-friendly, I'll start immediately :D

RadstaR

Sorceror
floppydisc said:
I will definitely implement support for anim editing, but I'm not yet sure how exactly that will look like. Once I have an idea how to implement that functional *and* user-friendly, I'll start immediately :D
WOW nice ... this realy help a lot of people.