RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Final Goodbyes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Savaal

Tell you the truth yeah I wasn't sure if it was FIKLE or FECAL thank's for the correction ;)

Twice

Wanderer
Savaal said:
Tell you the truth yeah I wasn't sure if it was FIKLE or FECAL thank's for the correction ;)

Not to start a flame war, honestly but if I corrected you on the spelling mistake, you would've accused me of making fun of Dyslexics :/

-2x

S

Savaal

Your not starting a flame war...

See, you corrected me on my "Grammer" that was just a totall mess up on my spelling I wasn't sure of how it was spelled.

But you totally just told me this...

lx haXor xl (3:03:03 PM): you need to learn how to type complete sentences.
lx haXor xl (3:03:13 PM): 1st you dont start a sentance with And
lx haXor xl (3:03:21 PM): and you dont end it without a subject and a predicate.
Lunaticlancer (3:03:25 PM): Who in the fuck do you think you are?
lx haXor xl (3:03:33 PM): i think i am an e-thug
lx haXor xl (3:03:34 PM): :<
Lunaticlancer (3:03:38 PM): LOL
Lunaticlancer (3:03:46 PM): no you probly beat off to pictures of your mom
Lunaticlancer (3:03:49 PM): e - thug?
lx haXor xl (3:03:53 PM): yessir i do
lx haXor xl (3:04:04 PM): lolol
lx haXor xl (3:04:13 PM): you so funny.
Lunaticlancer (3:06:06 PM): and your immature your point? to take a shot at someones learning ddisabilities is low i'm dyslexic... thanks man.
lx haXor xl (3:06:22 PM): lol like i knew?
Lunaticlancer (3:06:33 PM): doesn't matter
Lunaticlancer (3:06:40 PM): if someone isn't usuing full sentences they obciously
Lunaticlancer (3:06:42 PM): don't know how

Convo we had 2 days ago was it?

Johabius

Knight
I guess it just comes across as being good natured teasing from me, while his previous exchanges with you Twice have been significantly less than good natured. That's would be my guess anyway;)

Twice

Wanderer
That was the funniest AIM convo I EVER had, tbh. But grammar, spelling, what's the difference when it comes to correcting?

-2x

S

Savaal

Spelling in this case was in my controll, I just didn't know if it was FIKLE or FECAL when it comes to grammer my dyslexia really messes with me.. and i'm sensitive about that.

Twice

Wanderer
Savaal said:
Spelling in this case was in my controll, I just didn't know if it was FIKLE or FECAL when it comes to grammer my dyslexia really messes with me.. and i'm sensitive about that.

Yea, but you made it seem like I knew you had dyslexia, when I didn't. I wouldn't make fun of anyones disablities TBH because my little brother is autistic..

-2x

Johabius

Knight
par·a·dox (p
r
-d
ks
)n.1. A seemingly contradictory statement that may nonetheless be true: the paradox that standing is more tiring than walking.
2. One exhibiting inexplicable or contradictory aspects: "The silence of midnight, to speak truly, though apparently a paradox, rung in my ears" Mary Shelley.
3. An assertion that is essentially self-contradictory, though based on a valid deduction from acceptable premises.
4. A statement contrary to received opinion.

ox·y·mo·ron (
k
s
-môr
n
, -m
r
-)n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra (-môr
, -m
r
) or ox·y·mo·rons A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist.

The differences are subtle, but I think an oxymoron is always a paradox, but a paradox isn't always an oxymoron. Or something like that...forgive me it's almost 5am and I'm very very sleepy:( Maybe someone who's not as tires as I am can explain it better.

Twice

Wanderer
Paradox = Something that makes no sense, but is true.

Oxymoron = Something that is the complete opposite of something, but used together, etc. Young Adult is an oxymoron because an adult is someone who is grown up, and a young person, is not grown up yet.

Well I tried :D I'm off to bed

-2x

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Have i got it right if i state this:

1. An oxymoron is always 2 words - one baseword and a suitable conterary of that baseword.

2. A paradox can be a whole sentence or a whole book wich, in it entity, is a paradox.

3. A oxymoron is a paradox, but a paradox can be much more, hence the word oxymoron can't be used to describe a "real" paradox.

???

Camerous

Wanderer
Twice said:
Paradox = Something that makes no sense, but is true.

Oxymoron = Something that is the complete opposite of something, but used together, etc. Young Adult is an oxymoron because an adult is someone who is grown up, and a young person, is not grown up yet.

Well I tried :D I'm off to bed

-2x

Ilutzio said:
Have i got it right if i state this:

1. An oxymoron is always 2 words - one baseword and a suitable conterary of that baseword.

2. A paradox can be a whole sentence or a whole book wich, in it entity, is a paradox.

3. A oxymoron is a paradox, but a paradox can be much more, hence the word oxymoron can't be used to describe a "real" paradox.

???

You are both correct. :) Except Twice's oxymoron isn't one cause young isn't a reference to an age bracket in that case, were as adult is, but is used to catatorgize a subsection of an age bracket. Childish Adult is an oxymoron cause both are references to an age bracket. :)

Another example of a paradox is this.

If I go back in time and kill my grand father then my father and myself were never born. But if I was never born I couldn't have travel back in time to kill my grandfather in the first place so I would have been born. This is know to the sci fi geeks as the grandfather paradox. :)

And of course there are a slew of oxymorons such as jumbo shrimp.

Camerous

Wanderer
DontdroptheSOAD said:
Basically a paradox is an oxymoron that is true.

Right?

Twice said:
Yeah.

-2x

No because an oxymoron is true as well. Using the oxymoron jumbo shrimp...they are actually large sized shrimp...

An oxymoron only has 2 words in it, a noun and an adjective, where as a paradox can be any length. Also an oxymoron are 2 words that are opposite in meaning that are put together to describe something. A paradox is a suitation that logically can't be true but is anyway.

Taking the paradox from earlier about standing is more tiring than walking. The reason this is a paradox is because when you think of standing you don't think of it as an actual activiaty where as walking is but the fact of the matter is it takes more effort to stand in one place then it does to walk some place. Studies have proved, using the same people, that people can walk 2 to 3X longer than they can stand in one place. That is a paradox.

Status
Not open for further replies.