RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pandoras Box Problem

PrinceArda

Sorceror
Pandoras Box Problem

Hiya guys,

I don't know if anyone has ever faced this problem here, but I have heard of some people having this same issue. What happens is that, after Pandora's Box loads, it disappears where the program window should be seen for the first time.

I see that it runs in taskmgr but it doesn't show up. One of my friends had to delete the Pandora's Box data folder from the Aplication Data folder every time he run Pandora's Box. Well, it doesn't work for me... Is there a way to fix this problem?

(I have tried using the clean copy of 2.0.6, then tried the custom Pandora's Box from Custom Script Releases Forum, and I have tried unofficial 2.0.7 version. I also tried them all with new profiles)

This is what happens when I create a new profile and load it after i delete the profiles from Application Data:

Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter name: chars
   at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow()
   at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow(DecoderNLS decoder, Boolean nothingDecoded)
   at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, DecoderNLS baseDecoder)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, Boolean flush)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex, Boolean flush)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex)
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.InternalReadOneChar()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.PeekChar()
   at TheBox.MapViewer.MapViewer.GeneratePatchData()
   at TheBox.MapViewer.MapViewer..ctor()
   at TheBox.Box.InitializeComponent()
   at TheBox.Box..ctor()
   at TheBox.Pandora.StartingContext.OnMainFormClosed(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext.OnMainFormDestroy(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnHandleDestroyed(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnHandleDestroyed(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmDestroy(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Pandora
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.7
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/Pandora.exe
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
BoxCL
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.1
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/BoxCL.DLL
TSWizards
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/TSWizards.DLL
ArtViewer
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/ArtViewer.DLL
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
English
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/Lang/English.dll
MapViewer
    Assembly Version: 2.1.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.1.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/MapViewer.DLL
Data
    Assembly Version: 1.0.1762.38548
    Win32 Version: 1.0.1762.38548
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Pandora's%20Box%202/Data/Data.DLL
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
o4vk1oou
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Thanks

Go Here and down load it the beta version
Pandora's Box
download it to your desktop and leave it there in a folder.. for some reason when you put it in program files it is not reading it.. and then check the path that it reads from.

Kaspianheal

Wanderer
purplemouse91;753606 said:
Go Here and down load it the beta version
Pandora's Box
download it to your desktop and leave it there in a folder.. for some reason when you put it in program files it is not reading it.. and then check the path that it reads from.

I have the same problem with pandora and I tried downloading it to the desktop but I'm not sure how to check the path that it reads from.

Kaspianheal

Wanderer
I have also successfully installed pandora's box on my server and it works fine a little slow but fine, I need it to run on my computer though, not my server

Vorspire

Knight
Yup.. I have this problem on a daily basis...

To get rid of your error, you may want to set Compatibility Mode to Windows NT 4.0 or Win ME for the PB2 exe.

After that, whenever you load it, just create a new profile, ignore the last one you made and NEVER SET ANY PROFILES AS DEFAULT OR ITS SCREWED AGAIN :D:D

Ninehand

Wanderer
ok

Sorry I'm having the same problem so If it doesn't work for either of you what do you use for world building then? like for adding buildings and such?

bahmut

Sorceror
Just Curious if someone has founf a fix for Pandora. I have tried everything suggested here and its still not working. any help on this please?

Lady Aradea

Sorceror
Hello all, I'm Lady Aradea and I've had this same problem with Pandora's on and off for years. I've solved the problem several times by TOTALLY deleating Pandora's (all versions and copies) before I download a clean one. Before you go any further you need to know the address for you Ultima folder, where it resides on your PC. The default loading of UO is to your C drive and under Program Files. The address of it's location will be in the address window and it should read: C:\Program Files\EA GAMES or similar. This may sound redundent to those who know how to find things on their PC, but a lot of folks don't know how. So if you know how to find your UO folder, just smile as you read this part :p After you have the UO folder address, use the link on the second posting (purplemouse91) to download the Pandora's Box from that site. You DO NOT need the other items there unless you understand those areas. If your UO folder is NOT in the default C:\Program Files location (you have it on another drive) make note of it. Ok, using the Box Server Setup.exe, install Pandora's. When it installs and loads up, you can make a profile or not. I do since I have 4 UOers here, 2 of which are staff on different shards. After you have typed your profile name in, use the Finish button to have the PB opening screen come up. DO NOT USE THE BOX SERVER BUTTON!!! just ignore that part. When the Box opens it's window there is a small button on it, Left hand side under the title line. It's to the left of the Amount up/down space. If you left click that little button you will get a menu bar, go to the Options, this will take you to the Configuration Panel. Under the General tab you will find the area to specify WHERE you want Pandora's to find your UO Folder. Using the "Specify a custom UO folder button", type in the address of your UO folder (or your server UO file, whichever your using). As you will see there are several other tabs you can explore. I've checked all the Art Preview buttons (makes for clearer art) On the General Tab you will also be able to change your Command Prefix for your specific shard (default is usually [ ) . On the Maps tab make sure that ALL the maps are checked or it won't read some of the newer ones. I don't check the "Show only locations for the slected map" because I want to see all of it. The Server tab is one that you DON'T want to use. It will cause you nothing but grief. Your PB2 will say it's OFFLINE and thats just fine. It will still build in game, dupe, wipe and all other in game commands are valid. On the Advanced tab you can set up PB to read your Custom Deco selections, but a word of warning, if those files are NOT in your UO folder/file it will cause a conflict with in game art and it will crash big time. I've had some trouble with Custom Art just not being able to be read by PB2, so I don't bother checking it to read it. The Commands tab shows and allows you to set up custom command lines or quick in game buttons. The Profiles button is self expanatory. If your the only one using your Pandora's Box, your name should be the ONLY one there. If there are any other names/profiles, highlight them and deleat them. Ok, thats pretty much it. Keeping Pandora's OFFLINE is no big deal. There have always been problems with trying to get the Box Server to work properly, so don't worry about it. I've had to uninstall and reinstall PB several times before I've gotten it to work properly. All I can tell you is to have patience and keep at it. :)

Now for those of you who just want to see the UO art that is in game, might I suggest a little program called InSide UO. It's pretty updated, though it is NOT up to the latest client version, so don't expect it to be. It has both the hexidecimal ID's and the Item IDs. The hexidecimal ID's used to be used back in the very early days of UO. Sphere used to use them but my understanding is that most shards and clients now use only the Item ID numbers. The Item ID number is the first number you see on the lower right hand side bottom of the InSide UO screen. The hexidecimal number is the one in the (0x14 etc.) number. You will notice this is a very simple program. It's not ment to be inclusive but you CAN use it to build, locate items, and find Item ID numbers. So if I wanted to add say a South facing Carpenters sign, I'd find the art, get the number (2991) and using my command line ingame: [add item 2991 , add it to my world. Pretty easy and it does show ALL the in game parts, art, sounds, animation, buttons, gumps etc. It's a fun program to play around with and easy to use, in game or out. I've built whole new towns with it before, fixed the UO ingame screw-ups and a million other things. I know there are map editors out there that have more options BUT this program is easy to use for those that aren't that PC or program savvy.

UO Stratics - Heptazane - InsideUO

That is the website for Inside UO. Enjoy!!

Hope this will help you fix your Pandora's Box or at least give you options and something to check out. Good luck!
Merry met all and blessed be.

Lady Aradea

Quick note: DO make sure you have .NET 1. installed on your PC. Pandora's will NOT compile with the later .Net updates. It will ONLY read and use .Net 1.0. You can find it using GOOGLE or searching the Windows site. Drop me a line and let me know how you do. :) Good Luck!!

Ninehand

Wanderer
Thanks

I realize I am a bit late in responding to this post, I am very thankful you spent so much time writing all that down I just got through cleaning my inbox and noticed that you had posted I will be sure to mark this so that I can get back to it early next week, I will be sure to post if it was a success or not thank you.

Ninehand

Dereckson

Sorceror
Grabs the source code of Pandora's Box, the source code of Ultima.dll (it's both .Net assembles), open the solution in Visual Studio, replace in the Pandora's Box project the Ultma.dll reference by your Ultima project, F5 and bingo you'll break at exception thrown and you can investigate on this strange (and very frequent) behavior.

KonssnoK

Sorceror
eheh RadstaR you're even here :)

we are going to release an alpha to see main bugs, and then implement many other functions .. :p

RadstaR

Sorceror
KonssnoK;778281 said:
eheh RadstaR you're even here :)

we are going to release an alpha to see main bugs, and then implement many other functions .. :p
Go Go Go. I am waiting for your relase ....

My version si only compiled old pandora (ok there is updated registry search on Vista, czech language and few deco from SE and ML) under NET 3.5. I am not C# programmer and this Pandora have all know bugs :D

KonssnoK

Sorceror
eheh, we are 4/5 scripters on this project, but no one is doing anything -_-"
We are all quite busy..

I'll post any news! :)

Smjert

Sorceror
KonssnoK;778371 said:
eheh, we are 4/5 scripters on this project, but no one is doing anything -_-"
We are all quite busy..

I'll post any news! :)

I'm working on it!
You're a lamer :D

Brutus5000

Sorceror
Code:
See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter name: chars
   at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow()
   at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow(DecoderNLS decoder, Boolean nothingDecoded)
   at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, DecoderNLS baseDecoder)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, Boolean flush)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex, Boolean flush)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex)
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.InternalReadOneChar()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.PeekChar()
   at TheBox.MapViewer.MapViewer.GeneratePatchData()
   at TheBox.MapViewer.MapViewer..ctor()
   at TheBox.Box.InitializeComponent()
   at TheBox.Box..ctor()
   at TheBox.Pandora.StartingContext.OnMainFormClosed(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext.OnMainFormDestroy(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnHandleDestroyed(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnHandleDestroyed(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmDestroy(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

This error happens with .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1 or later. Reinstall .NET 2.0 without any service packs and it will run fine. I've tried to recompile Pandora, but it even crashes Visual C# 2005 and 2008. There is no other workaround.