RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POLL : How do you think GMS on a shard SHOULD ACT?

S

Seven

POLL : How do you think GMS on a shard SHOULD ACT?

a.)Act leet to players and make them leave
b.)Be kind and helpfull to everyone who asks questions
c.)Dont care a shit about the server
d.)Just wounders around with his "COOL" stuff on him and does nothing
e.)Doesnt follow directions
f.)Does follow directions

If there is any i missed please just say so :)

I go with option g.
Do not start stupid conversations with players.
Remain Hidden.
Don't give artifacts out for killing a horde of mongbats.
Don't "make yourself look cool" with tons of crappy artifacts.
Work on the overall design of the server.
Don't hue shit every sparkly color you can find because it's "cool".
Keep Player and Staff seperate if you also play.
And do not argue with the high ups.

I've gone through 10 gms who can't seem to understand this. It seems I'm the only one I can trust :)

R

Rainman

I like option H. better

Don't hire GM's that you don't know and trust not to do stupid things.

GoodVillain

Wanderer
A fav pastime of mine is to stay hidden and catch people that break the rules. I jail them and they lie saying they didnt do anything wrong even though I saw them with hide on me.

K

Krazy_zack

I on the other hand am a very 'social' gm...

....which is ok on my shard because the GM's play 'characters' in the RP...

S

Seven

*puts into rule book*
:) thanks everyone keep em comming if you have more...

demonjr

Wanderer
I've been going w/ option H, but I have no GMs! =(

They are all always stupid lil noobs who don't know a static from a spawner....ugh!

I don't mind players and gm's conversing. It's when the GM gets bored and actually wanders around to talk to a player. This results in the gm thinking he's friends with the player and going out of his way to res/help the player out. I guess I've just had my share of stupid gms.

bzk90

Lord
o agreee as long as gm's dont give a player an advantage over other player i realy dont mind them talking or being friends

psz

Administrator
I think GMs should not be seen unless needed, should not "make things happen" unless it's to fix something, and that they should have the world running to the point where players don't even notice that the GMs aren't holding their hands through everything.

In other words: A GM should NOT be needed every second of every day, because they should have the world running correctly to begin with.

They should be in the background, making things work, keeping everything in working order, and making the world playable.

A GM should *NOT* give a player anything just because the player asked for it (Hell, I refuse to give my nephew something as simple as a hooded shroud of shadows). A GM should *NEVER EVER* give his own non-GM characters *ANYTHING*. A GM should not allow a player he or she is friends with get away with anything other players would be punished for. A GM should follow the shard's rules even more than the average player (No point in having rules if the rulemakers are going to break them)

A GM should also NEVER in any way punish a player "just cuz they don't like them" or they disagree. It's not fair to the player. If you disagree with a player on something (Not rules related, of course), let it be. Everyone's entitled to an oppinion. Don't hold a grudge. If the same player is stuck somewhere because of a problem with the shard, don't sit and laugh and let them get killed or whatever. Fix the problem.

I could go on, but I think I've spammed enough ;->

Enervation

Wanderer
Ok, what about this:
A macroer was macroing magery or and/or healing.
He was casting energy bolt. I was hidden, and was checking on all the players. I watched him for a minute, and then he killed himself by casting eb before he did a full heal. It appears he was unattended macroing, which is fine.
I thought... well hes not breaking the rules, so I ressed him, put his clothes back on, regs in pack, and it looked like nothing had happened.
Is this the right thing to do?

BTW, after he was ressed, his macro stopped working, I guess the targeting system got reset or something.

Aenima

Wanderer
Well, I personally wouldn't have been that nice :p

Death, for me, is not a punishment for breaking server rules. I have other more permanant methods for that :p

Death is just a risk I let the players deal with.

S

Seven

Good Ideas! :) Thanks..
*Begains to write down in rules book*

Im going to start 3 strikes then FIRE!
:)

Tell me what method you use to keep your gms in line!

Aenima

Wanderer
I'll share my experience with you.

It's best if you can create a more - professional atmosphere. Then, when you need new staff, they sense this atmosphere and it's easier for them to understand how things work.

Train all your new staff members. By this I mean show them through the most frequently used commands and in which circumstances they are to and not to be used.

Roleplay with pages. Make sure your staff understand how to take pages in a good manner, make sure they understand your rules (ie. for me, it's "don't make yourself visible unless it is absolutely nescessary in order to resolve a problem"). Repeat your golden rule every now and then while you are training your staff.

Now, I understand people are going to say "Why train them? Many of them already know the commands". True, but they might not know how you like to run things on your server. Also, if you have any staff that complain about being trained, telling you they "already know this shit", then you'd better think about whether they're the type of people you want for your shard's public image.

Just a little bit from me :)