RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly the biggest announcement ever for RunUO!

HellRazor

Knight
Gentle reminder -

Ryan said:
I do NOT appreciate everyone turning this thread into a LINUX and MONO thread.

Please, stop.

Please? Let's keep this on topic and just celebrate the open sourcing and future of RunUO!

Kamron

Knight
I agree HellRazor. I love that RunUO is going open source. Too bad I left UO and then have no use for it, but I do appreciate it. And I will help anyone who needs basic core help once it is available. Be aware, that if you do ask me for help, I will abide completely with the License(s).. :)

tejster24

Sorceror
Personally, I want to see how many things in the core are implemented, so I can learn from the method used. (Basically, there's a load of stuff I can't think of a good way to do, but RunUO has obviously done it a good way, so if I could find out what that method is, it'd teach me more)

Ignius

Wanderer
this should help abit when it comes to custom clients now :)

eh who know

personaly i am under the impression that Runuo couldnt had been done any better then it is so with a team like the one that has been working on Runuo for how long now? my point is i doubt any one man... or not a man can realy add to the runuo community unless he... or she is a very very skilled programmer so if you think about it realy the person whos gona profit from this open source deal the most would be not the Runuo comunity but the people who are gona use this code for their own reasons and hell im not saying its wrong as long as they dont make any profit from it thats the great thing about open source

also let me just say this...
ive seen in other open source programs somthing that i tend to like cuz it not only helps people to learn new tricks but it tends to further the community from the aspect that the more knowledg people have floating around in a community the further that community will be able to advance...

so with that said i would like to say in my opinion since this open source thing is for bolth learning and furthering the Runuo community i for one would not be oposed to a open source agreement that states that all modifications to the code also remain open source

so all in all for the same reason that the runuo dev team decided to go open source i ask that people show the same love for this community and try to keep new things coming in and help each other mabie even be nice to each other

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I definitely agree that anything developed from the RunUO core should remain open source. It's fair play for us to keep stuff open source if we got it for free from people that have worked really hard on it.

Quantos

Lord
ravin341 said:
im not a big core programer in fact your talking greek to me but how is this going to effect my shard :)

It won't affect your shard. The main releases of RunUO will still be on this site, by the current development team.

BladeWise

Wanderer
This opening will affect those who wants to mod heavily UO and have enough skills to do that... I don't think a "simple" scripter has basic knowledge to modify core classes... maybe only in it's simplest parts... :p

They've done it

There is only one bad thing that can come from Open Sourcing RunUO: It might be easier for people that are determined (demented) to come up with programs to give people an unfair advantage when playing UO.... (hacking programs or w/e)

Other than that.... Open sourcing this program is a mark of respect and achievement!

RunUO has come a long long way.
Once version 1.0.0 is finally released, it will be safe to say that, RunUO is an emulator containing every vital component necessary for delivering a satisfactory Ultima Online experience very similar to that which can be found within any OSI server available to date..... Anything else is just excess scriptage.

The RunUO team will go down in history for all the work they've done... If they don't. THEY SHOULD!

It's just missing two things...
(A proper 'neon' weapon script which allows relative enhancment. Also.. damage types should be created in mutliples of 10%... not any percentile)

(And an AOS reward Gump & Rewards script, i.e:
Grim Necromancer 'Charachter name'
I helped bring forth the Age Of Shadows)
Unfortunatley I can't seem to find scripts like these anywhere.

<request removed by staff>

Phantom

Knight
QuIcK_FiNgErS

There isn't anything in the code that would allow them to create a program like that. Considering the only thing it would mean is, somebody would have to modify the core to allow it.

Foress

Sorceror
Phantom said:
QuIcK_FiNgErS

There isn't anything in the code that would allow them to create a program like that. Considering the only thing it would mean is, somebody would have to modify the core to allow it.

It would be kinda foolish to do that... Modify the core of your own server to let people hack your own server... If anybody ever do that then he's a fucking dumbass!

sirens song

Wanderer
Well if someone offered a "modified" core, that boasts factions right now. People would flock to it. Then each and every one of their servers would be at a security risk.

Vidi

Page
Face it though, we both know that there will be people that will try to make some 'l33t' modifications to the core. There will also be people that will attempt to modify the core so that it will run on Mono. I am greatly relieved that we won't be exposed to most of that, and that Ryan will attempt to protect us from those childish attempts. The truly sad thing, however, is that there will be people that will try to demand support for those core files.

So true.

There will be a flock of "leet" new scripters adding things that require just a "Little itty bitty tweak" to the core.

Personally I plan to avoid like the plague ANY scripts that require official release core modifictation.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Amen Vidi...I'd love to *look at* the Core, but I don't intend to modify it at the risk of having bajillions of "little itty bitty bugs"...that crash my shard.

Braun

Wanderer
You don't have to be an electrician to know that you dont want to be touching them hot wires,
Even the dumbist person knows your gonna get zapped.
It is best to leave it up to the professional electrician to take care of it. Sure you might be able to do it, but why take a chance of burning your house to the ground.

Here is the moral, IF you dont know, or are unsure, and your not a professional who deals with these issues, LEAVE IT ALONE, or learn the hard way..

In my humble opinion, anyone who goes and modifies the core to change a method is really missing out on what can be done with C#. If you look in the docs folders you can find a namespace folder that contains a list of all the methods and properties contained in the core scripts, and if you look pretty much all of those methods are virtual methods.

What does that mean? That means you can create a new class that contains override methods. What does that mean? That means if a person wanted to change some a few of the methods in the Mobile core script they would only need to create a new class, it could be called Mobile2 or whatever, that is a subclass of the Mobile class, which PlayerMobile and BaseCreature could inherit from, that just conatins the override methods. What does that mean? That means that the the core can be "modified" without having to be changed. Therefore if your new override method causes any problems then they can be reverted back to the old without having to fret over what the original core method actually was.

Also, please leave the Linux/.NET discussion out of this. In case your memories are short, Ryan had recently gotten fed up with the bickering and decided to put the release of RunUO on hold. Now it seems he is back and it should be released soon. Let's not screw that up because people can't be happy with a great product that can be downloaded and used for FREE.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
caleb darkmoon said:
In my humble opinion, anyone who goes and modifies the core to change a method is really missing out on what can be done with C#. If you look in the docs folders you can find a namespace folder that contains a list of all the methods and properties contained in the core scripts, and if you look pretty much all of those methods are virtual methods.
That's very interesting, caleb...I think I'll investigate that...