RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly the biggest announcement ever for RunUO!

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Possibly the biggest announcement ever for RunUO!

The RunUO team has collectively decided that we will be open sourcing RunUO's core to the public. At this point for the most part, the core is done and the only things remaining are game layer features. We have totally rewritten the networking piece of RunUO and Factions are pretty stable. We have completed a lot of the Ninja additions to UO and are ready to release the core code to the world.

RunUO has been closed source to control development and ensure that things got done in a manner that made RunUO successful. Since founding RunUO we have had nearly 40 releases, all with a major amount of work behind them. The next release will be Version 1.0.0, and it will be under an open source license. We have not chosen a license yet but as soon as we do we will let you guys know.

We have registered RunUO over at SourceForge (months back) in preparation for this, this is not something we just decided overnight, it was an original intention of the project. You can see the RunUO project on SourceForge at www.sf.net/projects/runuo although it doesn't have very much information right now.

We are very happy with the progress we have made with RunUO, we are also very happy with how well RunUO's community has developed. Sure we do have a few bad apples that think they can ruin things for us, but the fact is the good completely outweighs the bad here.

We all wanted to take the time to thank you, the community for our success. We hope that you enjoy the next release (and the releases to come). Thanks for all of the support!

Thanks,
Ryan (on behalf of the RunUO Team)

Note: Shortly after I post this you should be able to reply to posts in this forum.

Quantos

Lord
I really hope this will work for you. I have visions of needing to download a custom core for someones poorly written script. (I actually wouldn't, but I can imagine it happening to some). Hopefully we will never see that in this community :)

<edit> Wohoo, I'm the first regular forum member to be able to reply in this forum.</edit>

bzk90

Lord
well when they open source it, from what i understand, you will be able to minipulate the entire program, or am i mistaken

Quantos

Lord
bzk90 said:
well when they open source it, from what i understand, you will be able to minipulate the entire program, or am i mistaken

What do you find that you can't manipulate now?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
For US the biggest aspect of Open Sourcing RunUO is to share the knowledge on what makes RunUO work, not to give everyone the ability to manipulate the core. Sure some will, some will release their own branch, and do whatever they want, but that is fine. We will still be controlling the main distro of RunUO and everything will be great here. This is just a share the wealth type of deal more than anything else.

Ryan i like RunUO from day one you guys always did a good job and if there was a problem it was fixed as soon as it was found. Thank you guys for RunUO and all the scripts posted on the site. 2 thumbs up to all of you.

Sep102

Page
Are you going to license the RunUO software under one of the GPL's now or are you going to be defining your own license for it? If so, which will it be under?

x-ray

Wanderer
Quantos said:
What do you find that you can't manipulate now?

Many features hardcoded in the core.
Dont provoke anyone to speak about this because this can be counted as server decompilation and get a bolt from administration. I am happy you statisfied with current situation.
BTW imho open source main goal is not the just source release, but allow anyone to suggest improvement. Hope this will happend and will not stay as "announsement" or like first deleted vote of open source...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Sep102 said:
Are you going to license the RunUO software under one of the GPL's now?
I am not sure what license we will be using, but it will be an OSI Certified license or a derivative there of.

Quantos

Lord
x-ray said:
Dont provoke anyone to speak about this because this can be counted as server decompilation and get a bolt from administration. I am happy you statisfied with current situation.
BTW imho open source main goal is not the just source release, but allow anyone to suggest improvement. Hope this will happend and will not stay as "announsement" or like first deleted vote of open source...

There's no aspect of the game that you can't change with a class.

Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread Ryan :)

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
x-ray said:
You're so wrong.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
so you guys will still be doing official releases??

and great job on all that you buys have acomplished.....hope to see you all around for a while longer :)

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Pyro-Tech said:
so you guys will still be doing official releases??

and great job on all that you buys have acomplished.....hope to see you all around for a while longer :)
Absolutely :)

Talrol

Wanderer
Sweet more code for me to study in the development of my own game which work has already begun on.

I greatly appreciate the fact that you will be releasing this to open source, as all of my programming knowledge has come from self learning, and learning from others code is generally the easiest way I've found.

Thanks again.

*edit*
That's not to say I'm trying to steal your code...we're writting the game with or without RunUO being open source, however using others code to help with development issues that arise has been a great help in our efforts so far. We will not use any code from RunUO without the express permission of the RunUO development team and proper credit given.

Talrol

Wanderer
Yeah Phantom it's almost 2am here and I just got done adding the accounts class to the game server and debugging it, so I guess I got a tad bit wordy there ;), and frankly I think you'd be surprised at what alot of the "scripters" on these boards could do if they would just quit waiting for everyone to hand things to them and figure it out for themselves.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member

We'll be using something similar ;)