RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly the biggest announcement ever for RunUO!

Rylock

Wanderer
It's nice to hear things are really moving along with RunUO. However, I think there should be a rule having to do with script submissions and support once RunUO Opensource is released. Something to make sure all submissions and support with code is worked on with a non-edited core, otherwise things are going to become real complicated.

Anyway, congratulations RunUO.

sirens song

Wanderer
Rylock has a strong point, if there are many a core floating around, the script forums are going to be flooded with "why wont this work" Qs

Mifune

Sorceror
This move by the RunUO team further improves my confidence that RunUO will be a long-lasting success. Are congratulations in order? I certainly think they are.

:)

Mirach

Wanderer
well I must admitt I dont follow all you do here on Run UO ,but I appreciate all the work you do , I play on ABC and I believe our admin and GM think very highly of you all,and I would not be playing UO if it wer not for you :) So thanks

Nagash

Sorceror
Rylock really has a strong point, and the Phantom's solution of no support I believe being the solution. I'm really curious to see the source code of RunUO, but I must admit that I'm more curious and anxious to see all SE features working. And also to see some update on creatures. Like that phonix aura that is not distro scripted right now(afaik). I also would like to see some new npcs like the Elite Ninja full scripted into the RC1. But, anyway, great work with RunUO.

loops

Wanderer
Rylock said:
It's nice to hear things are really moving along with RunUO. However, I think there should be a rule having to do with script submissions and support once RunUO Opensource is released. Something to make sure all submissions and support with code is worked on with a non-edited core, otherwise things are going to become real complicated.

Anyway, congratulations RunUO.
Or have different forum for each and have additional forums for coding Runuo core.

LordHogFred

Knight
Im glad that the RunUO team decided to make the project open source. IT was the only way to really go from here due to OSI making so many chanages that required core programming and thus putting huge amounts of work on the dev team.

I think that this decision can only be beneficial for the RunUO community :D

Long live RunUO :cool: !!!

Chz :),

marvila

Wanderer
I'd just like to thank you all for the great work and for planning to distribute it as open source! Now I like RunUO even more! :D

Probably people will not make new branches on the core (unless it is to perfect the actual core in terms of stability and efficiency) because the client would have to change too, but the greatest thing is the knowledge people will be able to get.

Knowledge is Everything!

Thanx again!
Frederico Marvila

tumaix

Wanderer
sorry to post this, but i think that is needed...

Ryan once said "RunUO is not, and Never will Be Open Source. We HAve problems with opensourcing the UOX, so i don´t want to make the same mistake."

What Happened?

mikelezz

Wanderer
Great. This will allow anyone to suggest improvements and also we'll still have the latest official releases from RunUO team.
Also the "1.0.0" suggests me a lot of releases :P .

Jarrod

Sorceror
the .0.0 is standard in programming. If you just use 1, then every small update becomes a major release. (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4) If you use the .0.0, you can define minor publishes and updates before defining a new version. (i.e. 1.0.2, 1.3.8, 1.5.2)

what the general public sees is just the current version. Im sure the subversions was for internal use only in the past.

Nikki

Wanderer
*is excited* this is wunderful news! Thanks guys I maybe what I class a NOOB at all this and I will always class my self as a noob (hey there are more knowlegable people always around then what I am, I'd have to be Einstine to be smarter then ya all!). Would be great to see how run uo actually works it always was in the back of my mind niggling "how does this work??" now I'll be able to satisfy that curiosity... just hope I dun end up like the cat!!!

Love it can't wait for it or the new release's you will send out to us. Good luck to you on this one hope it works!!!! :D

ASKith

Wanderer
This post is before my cup o' joe in the morning, but i check my server, then here, then my coffee ... and I am so utterly shocked I will post ahead of my awakefullness.

I have been playing on shards powered by RunUO since a little bit before beta 19, nd have been working on my own server since beta early 30something.

I have always been very impressed with this emulator, and what this development team has accomplished.

This is a belated xmas gift I never would have expected - Thank you, on behalf of myself, my staff, and my players.

Thraxus

Sorceror
Personally, I don't even want to think about messing around with the core for my shard. I'll leave that in the capable hands of the RunUO dev team, who have been doing an excellent job of creating this amazing piece of software for us to enjoy.

On the other hand, as Phantom and others have said, the best part of this is the opportunity to LEARN from the contents of the core. That is what I consider the best part of open sourcing the core.

And while its true that it was always possible to override anything within the core at any time, it is still nice to be able to (legally) view how things are done in the core. That way if I only want to make a small change to how something works, I don't have to re-write it entirely and hope I somehow came close to how it was written for the core.

Script Submissions should definitely only be for scripts written for unmodified cores! Imagine the anarchy if it wasn't restricted...

This script requires d0rkb0y's ub3r-l337 core of doom! Download here!
:rolleyes:

Spudz777

Sorceror
*looks around sheepishly* I was just explaining to one of my players last night how RunUO wasn't open source, so I wasn't sure how well it would port into Linux/MONO... I look forward to this, with a little trepidation. I am not looking forward to "d0rkb0y's ub3r-l337 core of doom", but I do look forward to seeing what makes RunUO tick.

brandon948

Wanderer
Phantom said:
No I know exactly what they are capable of.

Uber Sword of Unlimited Damage is about it.

Wow, such faith. Your "better than thou" attitude is the underlying disgrace to the entire RunUO community.

cfaust

Wanderer
It won't surprise me to see about 10 different expansions just from the RunUO core, and I don't see any of them lasting very long, with execption to the Linux guys that are dedicated to trying to create a Linux core.

I will continue to use the real deal, as I know that RunUO dot com will be the only place to get a rock solid core.

By the way, I was running the small banner for RunUO on my main web page menu; but the graphic disappeared, with the changes and the next release will there also be a new banner graphic?