RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibly the biggest announcement ever for RunUO!

cfaust

Wanderer
Brandon948, unfortunately for you Phantom has earned his so called "better than thou" attitude through abuse of the community and through his guru like status.

For the record; Phantom is exactly right, in a generaly speaking type of way.

IMO: Only those that, for lack of better words, are too lazy to wrap their brains around certain concepts view Phantom and those like him as negative to the community; when in fact he's helped countless people actually learn something by not devulging everything.

Taking the time to bash someone in this thread takes away from some of the greatest news posted, lets get away from bashing and back on topic.

mr_wuss

Wanderer
for the record, I am not excited about runuo going open source, and for another, I will never use another build except one that comes from this site.

Ryan I hope it works out for everyone in the end.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
You guys really are pesimistic ;) (sp?).

Verly little if anything will change on our side, we've already added a few new core devs and are working on getting the SF project page organized ;) Fear not, we are going to make this project even more successful!

Chandral

Wanderer
Being one of the old school computer folks, back when pc's were but a distant dream, I'm confused about what opensource actually is. Does it change drastically the way RunUO is ran? I'm sorry if I seem stupid about it, but I'm not joking, I come from the time when you hand wrote program, keypunched em then ran em one by one thru a mainframe. The whole pc thing sometimes seems odd to me, although I am learning.

Any help in understanding it is as always very much appreciated.

cfaust

Wanderer
I'm more optimistic about the open source; of course there will be some uber releases and those that wish to release them will more than likely take offense to those of us that will continue to support the original and solid RunUO here and only here. With the open source, will come some improvements to the original as people learn to use it and make constructive suggestions, this could have more of a positive impact on RunUO than anyone could possibly imagine.

The RunUO team has made many leaps and bounds, the likes of which have turned the UO Emulation world upside down, there is no real competition and never will be, cheers to RunUO and the longevity it will enjoy.

slithers

Sorceror
I am optomistic about it being open source, but outside of an initial rush of crusaders to the cause, dont expect a big return on core improvements and debugging outside of the team here. one only has to look at the opensource daoc emulator project to see. while they have a large community only the same core folks are actually updating the opensource files, while everyone else will fix bugs or script in new features for their own shard without giving the improved code back to opensource group. but i digress as i am mostly interested in seeing more of the back bone coding in the core. i hope and expect that it will help my understanding of the scripts that are in place now, and fill in the holes in my understanding now. this is the part where i put the pitch in for the immediate release of the latest build, now i return to you to the regularly scheduled posting.

DebbieDoo

Sorceror
I just wanted to post a CONGRATS and a THANK YOU to the Run UO team and Ryan. I am about as newbie as they come where scripting is concerned. So, I may not fully appreciate the value going open source has on the community. What I do know, is that I have learned more then I could have hoped for from using Run UO these past 2 months. Not just from the use of the program, but from the community as well, of course. For this free knowledge I am truly grateful, and it would not have been possible without the hard work and dedication of everyone concerned. So, once again... THANK YOU!!!

- Debbie ;)

Also, I am VERY excited to see a new release coming out! I cant wait to get it and see what else I can learn. :D

mr_wuss

Wanderer
Ill be positive about it until some douche, like we have seen in the past, releases a core that is 100% BS and a simple backdoor to take over your server.

Don't think it will happen?

Sadly, mistaken.

BladeWise

Wanderer
I really like a "OpenSource RunUO"... maybe there is no need for OSI-like shards, but can be really useful for non-OSI ones (less workaround to change simple things)... Sure, everything can be changed in-game, but in this way it is also possible to modifiy RunUO to support other clients (other MMORPG)... could be an interesting idea :p

Anyway, I think open sourcing this project is a great idea, since learning from core, every mermber will acquire much more knowledge about how a -=good=- MMORPG server should be! Thanks a lot guys! :p RunUO is more than a project, it's a school! :D

Kamron

Knight
That is why poeple should only download RunUO from RUNUO.COM and only accept altered cores in the form of source code, which can be verified for exploits or backdoors. It only takes common sense to realize that you shouldn't download runuo from a source that may not be trustable.

And a forum for people who know what they are talking about, want to learn about the core and already have an understanding about C#, etc.. would be fantastic.

Bradley

Sorceror
Quantos said:
What do you find that you can't manipulate now?

The ability to not have to recompile the scripts every time the server starts. Yes, I know it only takes a matter of seconds, but it's annoying.

Alexandra

Wanderer
I'm relatively new in the RunUO community, but I like hearing this news. I guess in this way everybody will be able to help developing it, and fixing small bugs that you guys might have skipped (unintencionally, of course :p )

I'll keep working on my scripting skills, and congrats to you all, the dev staff.

I hope I can provide some of the results of my work soon :) I like this community

Cheers for you!!

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Bradley said:
The ability to not have to recompile the scripts every time the server starts. Yes, I know it only takes a matter of seconds, but it's annoying.
IVE SAID IT A MILLION TIMES:

YOU CANNOT CHANGE THIS IN THE CORE, IT WILL DESTROY YOUR SHARD. GOOD DAY.

Bradley

Sorceror
Ryan said:
IVE SAID IT A MILLION TIMES:

YOU CANNOT CHANGE THIS IN THE CORE, IT WILL DESTROY YOUR SHARD. GOOD DAY.
I wasn't talking about recompiling without restarting, I'm well aware of the dammage that would cause.

Anyway, I won't "poke the bear" any further.

Quantos

Lord
marvila said:
I'd just like to thank you all for the great work and for planning to distribute it as open source! Now I like RunUO even more! :D

Probably people will not make new branches on the core (unless it is to perfect the actual core in terms of stability and efficiency) because the client would have to change too, but the greatest thing is the knowledge people will be able to get.

Knowledge is Everything!

Thanx again!
Frederico Marvila

What? It's efficient and stable now. What are you talking about?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Bradley said:
I wasn't talking about recompiling without restarting, I'm well aware of the dammage that would cause.

Anyway, I won't "poke the bear" any further.
My bad dude, I misinterpreted your post :(

Khaybel

Sorceror
Kewl, this will help us improve related tools to support this server. I'm looking forward to just playing the latest version to start with. Goodluck with your future projects.

Bradley

Sorceror
Ryan said:
My bad dude, I misinterpreted your post :(
Hey, no worries. I knew right away what happened.

I am curious though, what type of performance gains gould we get by "hard linking" the scripts directly to the server code? Would there be any potential gain to compiling the server and scripts into one unit?