RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Progress update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

taebban

Wanderer
Let me say to the developers to take your time and do this release right. Too many products released in this world have been thrown together on a Friday afternoon just to fill demand, that is why there are garage sales cause people sell all the crap that didn't work the way it was suppose to. I love runuo and thank you so much for your hard work. I wait patiently for an awesome product to be released.

JesseTCG

Sorceror
Ryan...

Being our server's already have SE and ML scripted almost in its entirety, and the scripts and spells actually work, If there is a need from us the KPac Team can do almost anything to help you please let us know. You can PM me as I really do not make it a point to release our work on runuo.com anymore. Thank You.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Because s/he stole a bunch of scripts & re-released them. When we called him/her on it, s/he got all huffy. Even threatened to ban-evade (here) & deface my website & Phantom's.

(My opinion is: )
They don't really have all that much *work*, but they're very adept at modifying other people's stuff as though it were their own.

...and that's as far off-topic as I'm gonna go with that.

psz

Administrator
It really doesn't matter... SE is, other than some minor bugs, FINISHED in RunUO's current version (I can attest to that)

ML's stuff has already been in the works for a bit, and the big "hangup" right now is having time to do OSI's quest system (A lot of ML's new features revolve AROUND that quest system)

Having someone who got pissy because they got busted using other people's work offer stuff that is, by all rights, nearly done anyway isn't much of an offer, IMHO.

Noxih

Wanderer
i got a question how long has runuo been osi certified? Does this mean that they wont come out with a patch to block it? and if it is are thet using our scripts we make in there game

psz

Administrator
Open Source Initiative.

Not

Origin Systems Inc.

RunUO is OSI Certified, NOT GPL (contrary to common beliefe and mis-quotes)

Bmzx007

Wanderer
But psz, Is the core of RunUO not GPL'ed? If I am not mistaken with everyone else, does the core not have the GPL licence contained within it.

Perhaps it has something to do with the OSI?

darkstorm

Wanderer
RunUO is OSI Certified, NOT GPL (contrary to common beliefe and mis-quotes)

That actually is a misunderstanding. The OSI doesn't certify software. It certifies licenses. RunUO is using the GPL license for its source (look at the LICENSE file) which is OSI certified. Thats why the logo is there.

Phantom

Knight
I am going to rant, since psz had a rant, I want a rant.

Clearly I am not on the same level as psz and Asayre, but I know my fair share of how things work, I mean hell I spent 8 months on a 5 month project. After Asayre and I finished our project, and it was modified and tweaked by Krrios, there was this group of people who thought it would never be released.

The funny part is, during the entire time it was being tested, Asayre ( was working on hybrid at the time ) and Krrios ( who fixed the bugs ) and the players of UO Gamers: Hyrbid found bugs in this particular project.

4 months of testing what do you have, a system that is nearly perfect, and works exactly like it does on OSI. Which would not have not been possible if somebody tried to release it after 5 months. I would like to add, the people that worked on this project were the first and still the only people, to release a working and exact clone of the Faction Script to the emulator community.

Other people have tried, but there has never been a perfect clone before, and you only get a perfect clone with hard work and months of testing and work.

So to those people that think the current release is done, its not, because like psz pointed out they are finding bugs. Only those people that have worked on 20+ script project understand how hard it is to manage and fix bugs. Which means everyone that complains, clearly are not real programmers, because RunUO has 1500 classes just outside the core.

So you try to manage a project as big as RunUO and fix bugs, when a small change to a damage function can result in making every weapon deal 1 damage because of adding a number you multiple a faction and thus reduce the damage.

Basicly unless you can do a better job, don't complain about the time it has taken, of course I want the release but I understand what members have been working on.

Some of the additions I know about, would take 1 person, several days of 24/7 programming. If you want the best, and the least buggy code, you will sit back and just "Thank" the RunUO Development Team instead of bitching and moaning.

If you don't like it, see Ryan's post about the "rest of ya"

psz

Administrator
Crowley62 said:
I am probably wrong but isn't OSI gone and EA (Electronic Arts ) has totally taken over.

EA has *ALWAYS* controlled, run, and OWNED UO. At all times. Since day one of the design process.

OSI is/was a subsidiary of EA (has been since early 1990's, three+ years before UO), and is the "division" that runs UO. The original creator of OSI (Richard Garriot) no longer works for OSI/EA.

But, the point is, EA has *ALWAYS* been in control of OSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.