RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prostitution - Legal or Illegal?

Prostitution should be...

• Legal

Votes: 62 82.7%
  • Illegal

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

Rosetta

Wanderer
Female opinion - make it legal. With considerations. Base it off of the examples in Vegas, and go from there. Also would be good it went both ways Female and Male prostitution. Also to be fair to all, let it be for homosexuals and lesbians as well.

About the essay - a good dramatic opening won't be a date (meaning time). A list of popular topless bars, legal publications, exotic dancers, and other similar establishments that have good reputations for safety may be a good start to your point of view on the topic. I would also keep religion very very far away from an essay on a topic like this.

Good luck Joeku!

HellRazor

Knight
Bring on the whores! :)

Some constructive criticism:

The body of your text doesn't really speak to your thesis. Your thesis is not about whether or not the government should impose morality on the citizens. Your thesis is about legallized prostitution being of greater benefit than non-legalized prostitution. If you're going to focus on the moral aspects than this should be reflected in your thesis statement.

Also, I think your thesis might read better taking a different approach - something like "Legalized prostitution would allow the government to impose regulations for sexually transmitted disease (STD) prevention, ensure the safety of prostitutes, and benefit the country through taxation." Mainly because it's hard to prove a negative. But even this is kind of weak. Your thesis statement needs some work, it is the most important part of your paper.

"Underground prostitution renders the government unable to impose regulations for sexually transmitted disease (STD) prevention, safety of prostitutes, and taxation." doesn't really say anything, it doesn't take a position or define what the issue is one way or the other. Your thesis statement should take a position and make an arguement that your follow-up text should then be focused on proving.

P.S. You're a good writer Joeku!

Murzin

Knight
David;727563 said:
Actually there is no requirement calling for a separation of church and state. The First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . ." is where that concept comes from.

Just sayin...

not true at all.

it comes from thomas jefferson and which has been upheld as legal precedent by the supreme court because it is considered the originator of that portion of the first amendment.

of course while he was president, he was known to veto legislation originated from religious groups and legislation based on religion simply due to that ideal.

if you want some more information you can look it up here:

Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of course i wonder what he would think of the power religious organizations have in our legal systems now.

Torinas

Sorceror
Actually it comes from a letter from Thomas Jefferson, and it was taken out of context, but I digress.

Rough draft is good, but you fail to take into account that it isn't so much the religious right as it is the fact that democracy = majority rules. If the majority of people are religious(or not, I know atheists that disagree with abortion because they equate it with babykilling) and dont want abortion for whatever reason then it isn't going to happen, and blaming it on something such as a 'religious right' is completely false and makes you seem like a loon.

Also, whore is a derogatory word for a reason.

This is why I hate democracy.

HellRazor

Knight
Torinas;727608 said:
Also, whore is a derogatory word for a reason.

Words by themselves are just words.

There are some people who consider "asshole" to be a derogatory word too, but that doesn't mean everyone in the world is an asshole; just like the word "whore" doesn't mean all women are whores.

Not using the word "whore" won't change the fact that there are whores in the world. And the word isn't even inclusive to women, there are male whores too.

In other words - this political correctness crap needs to stop. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't feel like you need to wear it like a badge on behallf of all womankind. The only people that should be offended are people who are specifically called whores who aren't whores. I didn't call anyone in particular a whore.

Besides, I happen to like whores. Bring 'em on, I say.

Murzin

Knight
is this an opinion paper or debate type paper?

On January the sixteenth, in the year nineteen hundred and twenty, prohibition was first enacted nationwide in the United States.

ugh, this line is horrible. it makes it seem like you are either treating the reader as an idiot because you cant write it out in shorter form or because you are missing a drum beat. its horribly corny.

The religious right is pressing their views of morality upon the government and forcing them into legality. In truth, with the accordance of the separation of church and state, there is no reason for prostitution to be illegal.

would be ok for opinion but not for debate style. you may want to try to keep it to proveable ( references ) information.

It does not cause harm to innocent third parties. It does not hinder the freedom of citizens. It is, overall, a relatively innocuous industry and is only perceived negatively when subject to conservative morality – which, in and of itself, is relative and, therefore, unreliable.

you will want to back these statements up with proof in the form of references.

Torinas

Sorceror
HellRazor;727622 said:
Words by themselves are just words.

There are some people who consider "asshole" to be a derogatory word too, but that doesn't mean everyone in the world is an asshole; just like the word "whore" doesn't mean all women are whores.

Not using the word "whore" won't change the fact that there are whores in the world. And the word isn't even inclusive to women, there are male whores too.

In other words - this political correctness crap needs to stop. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't feel like you need to wear it like a badge on behallf of all womankind. The only people that should be offended are people who are specifically called whores who aren't whores. I didn't call anyone in particular a whore.

Besides, I happen to like whores. Bring 'em on, I say.

I was referring to the fact that most people frown upon the prostitution profession to such a degree that being called a whore is a grave insult, when it should just be used to describe said person's occupation. But whatever ;x

Puron1794

Wanderer
I wanted to be a Prostitute when I was a kid... until my mom told me they have to wear those dreadfully uncomfortable high-heeled shoes... my morals just couldn't allow it. *sigh*

David

Moderate
Ortanith;727581 said:
When a church and state/country are not seperated usually that church/religion starts to assert laws that lead to total disaster.
The founding fathers were against the union of country and church. People's Weekly World - The Founding Fathers’ views on church and state

Murzin;727593 said:
not true at all.

it comes from thomas jefferson and which has been upheld as legal precedent by the supreme court because it is considered the originator of that portion of the first amendment.

of course while he was president, he was known to veto legislation originated from religious groups and legislation based on religion simply due to that ideal.

if you want some more information you can look it up here:

Separation of church and state in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

of course i wonder what he would think of the power religious organizations have in our legal systems now.

I have read both articles, thank you. The Wiki one I actually read before posting. My intention was neither to start a debate on the merits of a separation between church and state nor to argue for or against the influence of religion on our government. I was simply pointing out that an argument used in the paper may not be as well founded as Joeku believed.

I do have my own opinions on the points you raised (for one, I think Thomas Jefferson’s primary intent was to keep the government out of religion and not necessarily vice-versa) and would be glad to discuss them further in another thread. I always love a good debate.

My apologies Joeku, I did not intend to highjack your thread.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Murzin;727638 said:
...this line is horrible...its horribly corny

In defense to all writers everywhere! =]
If your rough draft doesn't get this kind of reaction, then you are doing something wrong.

Joeku has all the great starts of a rough draft, random ideas swimming all over the paragraphs about the topic. No real connection of what the actual point may be yet. But with a lot of thoughts put out on paper to wander until they find their way home.

All he has to do is choose the argument he wants to put this against. Religion, safety, etc, and then back his point of view up with evidence and references against it.

After that his points will start to fit into place and he can actually have a real thesis statement. I have never gotten my thesis right on any rough draft. Rough drafts are always terrible, but I would be curious to see how the final draft turns out on this paper.

Joeku

Lord
Wow, this thread really exploded.

Thanks for all of the help, you guys!
I edited my first post and included my completed rough draft (written before reading David's post and those below).

Brought it in to my professor and she likes it so far; she said that having two introduction paragraphs (one with Prohibition and one tying prostitution into it) was a good idea. She also said that my thesis statement needed some work, just like HellRazor and Rosetta mentioned.

@Murzin: this is an Argument essay - taking a stance and attempting to persuade the readers.

About the whole religion thing: that was only included to support and add to the introduction, that's not really what the paper is about.

I'll post the final when I finish it (within a few days) for those of you who are still interested :) Thanks again for all of the criticism!

I like how four people voted for it to be illegal and yet none of them posted their reasoning.

Murzin

Knight
On January 16, 1920, prohibition was first enacted

prohibition needs to be capitalized as its useage is a proper noun not a generic useage.

Closely mirroring this is the issue of prostitution.

i would add something similar to:
Closely mirroring this is the issue of prostitution, commonly referred to as the world's oldest profession.

Because prostitution is illegal, there is no system to ensure that STD carriers are kept quarantined and not allowed to work.

change to:
Because prostitution is illegal, there is no system to ensure that STD carriers are kept quarantined and not allowed to work, endangering the populace unnessecarialy(sp) as Nevada's laws aim to do.

it would help reinforce and tie the start of the paragraph to the end.

Another issue that could be solved by legalizing prostitution is that of safety.

this is a bad start to the next paragraph, you are implying that transmitting STDs does not pertain to safety. should change it to physical and emotional safety. this would help seperate the ideas because STDs would be considered biological safety.

pimping

this is juvenile use of the word. you want to be formal to get across the point of educated reasoning. you should put it in quotes and capitalize the p to show that its slang. it is a common word but it has other connotations and you are referring to a type of profession.

Pimps can be abusive, using psychological intimidation, manipulation and physical force to control the members in the "stable".

should start Pimps, also known as "Johns", ... and instead of using intimidation, change it to abuse to evoke a more visceral response from the reader.

prostitutes..

P needs to be capitalized, you are referring it to as an actual profession and thats a proper noun.

Legalizing it and providing help for these people will give them a better chance to get back on track to a normal lifestyle.

prejedicial and shows bias against the people you are trying to speak for.

Again, there is no reason not to legalize prostitution

double negative.

it would prevent prostitutes from being abused

should correct that to be: it would dramatically help stop prostitutes from being abused... to help get your point across. you cant guarentee it would stop it.

Overall, prostitution is a harmless act of free will – the sale of one’s body for profit.

with this statement alone you open yourself up to someone raising the objection you are in favor of slavery, even if in a limited fashion.

at least thats how i would attack a statement like that :)

Joeku, if you're not going to talk about religion in the paper, you need to remove it from the introduction. The introduction should only introduce what you intend to discuss.

Joeku

Lord
Murzin;727674 said:
On January 16, 1920, prohibition was first enacted

prohibition needs to be capitalized as its useage is a proper noun not a generic useage.
Whoops! I don't know how I missed that :p
Closely mirroring this is the issue of prostitution.

i would add something similar to:
Closely mirroring this is the issue of prostitution, commonly referred to as the world's oldest profession.
Personal opinion, IMO it's better without it.
Because prostitution is illegal, there is no system to ensure that STD carriers are kept quarantined and not allowed to work.

change to:
Because prostitution is illegal, there is no system to ensure that STD carriers are kept quarantined and not allowed to work, endangering the populace unnessecarialy(sp) as Nevada's laws aim to do.

it would help reinforce and tie the start of the paragraph to the end.
Unnecessarily.
Another issue that could be solved by legalizing prostitution is that of safety.

this is a bad start to the next paragraph, you are implying that transmitting STDs does not pertain to safety. should change it to physical and emotional safety. this would help seperate the ideas because STDs would be considered biological safety.
Not really, but it would be good to clarify...
pimping

this is juvenile use of the word. you want to be formal to get across the point of educated reasoning. you should put it in quotes and capitalize the p to show that its slang. it is a common word but it has other connotations and you are referring to a type of profession.
pimp - Definitions from Dictionary.com
It's not slang.
Pimps can be abusive, using psychological intimidation, manipulation and physical force to control the members in the "stable".

should start Pimps, also known as "Johns", ... and instead of using intimidation, change it to abuse to evoke a more visceral response from the reader.
Eh, I don't think so.
prostitutes..

P needs to be capitalized, you are referring it to as an actual profession and thats a proper noun.
No, I am referring to prostitutes. Just as I would refer to dogs or bananas.
Legalizing it and providing help for these people will give them a better chance to get back on track to a normal lifestyle.

prejedicial and shows bias against the people you are trying to speak for.
I already stated that "92% stated that they wanted to escape prostitution immediately." There is no harm in speaking in general terms when the majority is that high.
Again, there is no reason not to legalize prostitution

double negative.
"There is reason to legalize prostitution" is not the same as "there is no reason not to legalize prostitution."
it would prevent prostitutes from being abused

should correct that to be: it would dramatically help stop prostitutes from being abused... to help get your point across. you cant guarentee it would stop it.
prevent - Definitions from Dictionary.com
pre·vent
–verb (used with object) 1. to keep from occurring; avert; hinder: He intervened to prevent bloodshed.
2. to hinder or stop from doing something: There is nothing to prevent us from going.
Overall, prostitution is a harmless act of free will – the sale of one’s body for profit.

with this statement alone you open yourself up to someone raising the objection you are in favor of slavery, even if in a limited fashion.
at least thats how i would attack a statement like that :)
Uh... okay...

Johabius

Knight

Pimps are not "John's". Pimps are management, "John's" are customers.