RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prostitution - Legal or Illegal?

Prostitution should be...

• Legal

Votes: 62 82.7%
  • Illegal

Votes: 13 17.3%

• Total voters

Murzin

Knight
oh shit yer right about that pimp/john thing...

oh and if you are going to cite dictionary.com, most english teachers/professors i know use OED exclusively. thats what you would want to look at. its considered the standard for a reason.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Murzin;727674 said:
On January 16, 1920, prohibition was first enacted

prohibition needs to be capitalized as its useage is a proper noun not a generic useage.

Closely mirroring this is the issue of prostitution.

i would add something similar to:
Adverb=Closely mirroring this is the issue of prostitution, Adverb=commonly referred to as the world's oldest profession.

Because prostitution is illegal, there is no system to ensure that STD carriers are kept quarantined and not allowed to work.

change to:
Because prostitution is illegal, there is no system to ensure that STD carriers are kept quarantined and not allowed to work, endangering the populace Adverb=unnessecarialy(sp) as Nevada's laws aim to do.

it would help reinforce and tie the start of the paragraph to the end.

Another issue that could be solved by legalizing prostitution is that of safety.

this is a bad start to the next paragraph, you are implying that transmitting STDs does not pertain to safety. should change it to physical and emotional safety. this would help seperate the ideas because STDs would be considered biological safety.

pimping

this is juvenile use of the word. you want to be formal to get across the point of educated reasoning. you should put it in quotes and capitalize the p to show that its slang. it is a common word but it has other connotations and you are referring to a type of profession.

Pimps can be abusive, using psychological intimidation, manipulation and physical force to control the members in the "stable".

should start Pimps, also known as "Johns", ... and instead of using intimidation, change it to abuse to evoke a more visceral response from the reader.

prostitutes..

P needs to be capitalized, you are referring it to as an actual profession and thats a proper noun.

Legalizing it and providing help for these people will give them a better chance to get back on track to a normal lifestyle.

prejedicial and shows bias against the people you are trying to speak for.

Again, there is no reason not to legalize prostitution

double negative.

it would prevent prostitutes from being abused

should correct that to be: it would Adverb=dramatically help stop prostitutes from being abused... to help get your point across. you cant guarentee it would stop it.

Overall, prostitution is a harmless act of free will – the sale of one’s body for profit.

with this statement alone you open yourself up to someone raising the objection you are in favor of slavery, even if in a limited fashion.

at least thats how i would attack a statement like that :)

Holy shit! Do you want to write the paper? Or are you going to leave it to the original author? Though some of your grammar points are thought out the lengths to which you go to help out are not as well examined.

You should become a teacher/professor, just stay away from a career in editing. If I had an editor that did what was done here he would never get his job done. Come to think of it nor would I. Hmm...perhaps...proofreading may suit you.

Oh one more thing - ICK! Adverbs...beasties that people think add fluctuation to a point when really they just quietly, stealthily, and maliciously drag a point out into meaninglessness (evil grin =] ) most of the time.

Hint on a strong paper KILL AS MANY ADVERBS AS POSSIBLE!!
Mirroring this issue is prostitution.
Is a hell of a lot stronger than:
Closely mirroring this issue is prostitution.

Rosetta

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;727778 said:
Some of his grammar points are flat-out wrong.

Your friendly neighborhood Grammar Nazi, TMS.

Very true, this is why I also said "some". But I admire his perseverance with the correction of it. It may lead to bigger and brighter things.

I am still trying to figure the key differences in "...an opinion paper or debate type paper?"

Liacs

Sorceror
I also agree. Prostitution should be legalized. In Germany it is not illegal I think anymore.
When I still lived in Hamburg I had some friends who were whores. Beautiful and intelligent women. But only the strongest survived on their own (and that is only a handful). They can make a living with what they earn.
The ones with less will get pimps easily and are tricked into paying him (by force or by pretending to love them...). With such a lifestyle you need somebody to hold you, who is there for you and pimps abuse this knowledge.

If prostitution is legal, the threatened women can go more easily to the police to report pimps.

Another thing would be also: if you make it totally illegal and are able to wipe ALL prostitutes out of the country you will see that the numbers of rapes (in and outside families) will dramatically rise!!!

Also whores act like lovers, mothers, sisters, friends and doctors. The man who needs to see a whore is her patient you can say. I know some stories where men always went to the same girl, just to talk to her. Just to put their head in a lap and cry, just to finally have somebody to listen. There are a lot of lonely persons out there! Do not only see the physical act in this. It goes far beyond.

Ok, please excuse my writing style... I am ill and tired :) And as I am no native english speaker, I won't try to tell wou HOW to write it ;) (I wouldn't anyways, even if I was :p)

oh... one last thing: remember Maria Magdalena? :D (talking about religion...)

HellRazor

Knight
Torinas;727642 said:
I was referring to the fact that most people frown upon the prostitution profession...

All the more reason that we should all stand up for whore's rights everywhere and not allow discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, or whether or not one whores him or herself out.

Whores have rights too! SAY NO MORE TO WHORE DISCRIMINATION! Let's return the prestige to this ages-old and most honorable profession!

...to such a degree that being called a whore is a grave insult, when it should just be used to describe said person's occupation. But whatever ;x

But that would infer that all whores are whores as an occupation. Many whores just enjoy whoring as a hobby or for the fun of it. There's nothing quite like a whore-gasm.

Anyway, you know what they say. One man's wife is another man's whore.

Murzin

Knight
TMSTKSBK;727778 said:
Some of his grammar points are flat-out wrong.

Your friendly neighborhood Grammar Nazi, TMS.

vast majority of it is style choice.

he can choose not to use it, but that doesnt make it wrong.

where he WAS wrong and im severely suprised you didnt catch it is that he didnt cite the OED for his reasonings on prevent which was wrong. but even then, the change to the sentance involving prevent is a stylistic choice anyway so his choosing not to use it isnt wrong in of itself.

Rosetta

Wanderer
HellRazor;727812 said:
This sounds like an arguementive paper, in which the thesis statement is the main point of the paper that the rest of the paper is focused on proving.

Creating a Thesis Statement - The OWL at Purdue

Yes I know that, I have written a ton of those (good link for those that have not +karma for that one). But I wonder how is an argument essay any different than an opinion or debate paper? And what is the difference between an opinion and debate paper?

It is a semi rhetorical question; meaning that I don't believe there is a difference in the two (both would be considered an argumentative essay) but would like to know what Murzin was thinking when he asked this.

Murzin

Knight
i was in an english class in college where there was the normal school work, and also every week we submitted a "debate" paper.

at the start of the class we were broken into teams of 2 people, 1 would take one side and 1 would take the other, and every week we had to submit a paper adressing points brought up from the previous week opposition.

an opinion paper doesnt require any facts as its just a statement of opinion about the subject, and you cant really argue an opinion, just state them.

debate papers are a continuing thing, position papers are a 1 time factual based paper...

since he was using facts i didnt put more to the point of opinion... i guess my question should have been is it a debate paper or a position paper :)

it sounds more like in the vein of a position paper.

Rosetta

Wanderer
That sounds like a pretty fun class (but I am morbid). I never took a class that labeled the essays as such, but I can now see why they would be that way. It's a very different situation than all the english/writing/literature classes that I took. Sounds like a good way to learn though.

Thanks for answering =]

Murzin

Knight
the real morbid part of that, was half the final was you taking the otherside and coherently argue for the other side that you just spent 2.5 months arguing for.

50% of the grade was normal work ( including the weekly papers )
25% was the final paper
25% was the final exam

Rosetta

Wanderer
Murzin;727916 said:
the real morbid part of that, was half the final was you taking the otherside and coherently argue for the other side that you just spent 2.5 months arguing for.

50% of the grade was normal work ( including the weekly papers )
25% was the final paper
25% was the final exam

Ohhh very nice! Yeah I would of liked the evil twist of a teacher/professor you had there.