RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting Smoking

FireSoul

Wanderer
Quitting Smoking

Today is day one. Yuck. I'm cranky, the building caretaker walked by and waved at me and I think I sneered at him. Of course he annoys me anyway. He's been asking me out for the past two years. I keep saying no, and he keeps hearing "Maybe, ask me again tomorrow". GRRR!

What are other people's experiences with this? (quitting smoking, not dealing with selectively hearing caretakers).

Radwen

Wanderer
Its all about whether you really want to quit or not.

We all have will power. You just have to have to will to use it.

FireSoul

Wanderer
It's an addiction, so it's a tad more involved than just willpower. But I'm serious about it. I'll do it, I just hope the world recovers from my wrath in the process :D

Radwen

Wanderer
Addiction or not, its all will power.
Whether tis getting up in the morning.
Quitting smoking.
Quitting heroine.
Or getting up and continuing to fight after getting shot in the gut.

Its all will power. Somethings require more of it. But everyone is capable of doing the above(exempting possible logical facts that would create an incapacity in that matter ..).

But if you are in a normal condition, its all will. If you fail its because you are weak inside and/or that you didn't really want to.

Fighting your demons is not an easy task. Not everybody succeeds. But everyone is capable.

Joeku

Lord
Radwen;642410 said:
Quitting smoking.

(exempting possible logical facts that would create an incapacity in that matter ..).

But if you are in a normal condition, its all will.
Nicotine is a drug, and it affects normal brain processes. It's not ALL will power (though I'd probably say a good portion is).

FireSoul

Wanderer
Joeku;642416 said:
Nicotine is a drug, and it affects normal brain processes. It's not ALL will power (though I'd probably say a good portion is).

Yes it does. I'm having a very hard time staying focused. Of course that's typical for me, but this is worse than usual. On a side note, I've read of a study using nicotine (in a pill) to treat ADHD.

As for willpower, Radwen does have a valid point. I keep getting up (without thinking) to go to the store, and have to stop myself. So yes, willpower is definately a factor.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
I took my girlfriends cigs away and said essentially, "cut the shit". She hasnt smoked in almost 6 months.

Manu

Knight
I went from full time smoker to part time. I used to smoke a pack a day, now its a pack of cigarillos/3 months plus every now and then (2, 3 times a month) I fire up my shisha (egyptian waterpipe, google "shisha" if you want to know more). I dont know if I could stop completely, because I dont care to know. I hate smoking if you do it just because you need a nicotine fix, I got away from that. I smoke because I like the taste (shisha tobaco is fruit tobaco, the taste is just WOW).

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Manu;642433 said:
I went from full time smoker to part time. I used to smoke a pack a day, now its a pack of cigarillos/3 months plus every now and then (2, 3 times a month) I fire up my shisha (egyptian waterpipe, google "shisha" if you want to know more). I dont know if I could stop completely, because I dont care to know. I hate smoking if you do it just because you need a nicotine fix, I got away from that. I smoke because I like the taste (shisha tobaco is fruit tobaco, the taste is just WOW).

Add a line to the top of your sig... I swear I read "in accordance with the prophecy" EVERY TIME YOU POST

FireSoul

Wanderer
Joeku;642439 said:
Damn, someone with a vocabulary more advanced than mine (besides C, we all know he's a genius :rolleyes:)

I salute thee!

*blush* Blame my Mother, she gave me a dictionary when I was 5. And yes, I read it.

Besides which, even if AB won't believe it, I'm old. :D

Manu

Knight
DontdroptheSOAD;642438 said:
Add a line to the top of your sig... I swear I read "in accordance with the prophecy" EVERY TIME YOU POST

But, but, but thats the whole point of it :( You cant deny the prophecy!