RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting Smoking

Joeku;642483 said:
Correction:

A fucking man... </gn>
Yes I know you mixed the word "amen" and "fucking" but I'm just trying to give you grief :p
actually he's right... you're a christian.. you should know this better than I...

FireSoul

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;642474 said:
look, ADHD is one of the most fucked up problems in the country...

They used to think I was ADHD, before they realized it was Asperger's. Believe me I understand not being able to concentrate. It frustrated my mother, my teachers, my kids, my ex and me. And for a person who lives in their head as much as I do, not being able to think straight is like being tossed into a tornado. I'm hoping this will pass. That I'll adjust. My mother was 73 when she died, she started smoking in her early 30s. I was nearly 16 when I started, I'll be 49 in a few days. I fully plan on being around for a whole LOT longer. Hell, it's taken me this freaking long just to grow up.

I've already told You I think I may have aspergers, mainly b/c of the fact I havent hardly anything in over a week b/c theres nowhere to sit in the cafe w/o being near a billion people.

Radwen

Wanderer
Dude, whether tis alcoholism, heroine addiction or cigarettes addiction, you can get out of it with willpower only. I know a few people who did. My chinese kung-fu master for one who smoked for 20 years and stopped at 35. My friends aunt who smoked 40 years and stopped. My grand mother (even though she a skanky bitch) smoked ... *counts* 71 years .. and stopped.

They all stopped in one shot.
My master stopped out of will.
My friends aunt stopped out of will.
My grand mother stopped out of will.

and guess what.

My grandmother and grandfather were severe alcoholics for 50+ years .. grandfather died and grandmother stopped at the same time as she stopped smoking.

Nothing forced her. She could still drink with her meds, she could still smoke. She stopped purely out of will.

With will power, you can do anything that is considered possible.

FireSoul

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;642516 said:
I've already told You I think I may have aspergers, mainly b/c of the fact I havent hardly anything in over a week b/c theres nowhere to sit in the cafe w/o being near a billion people.

Sorry AB, you did, blame my very scattered mind at the moment. I thought you were talking about ADHD. For what it's worth, I was only diagnosed a couple of years ago. I've lived my LIFE this way, having to come up with my own coping skills.

I just can't advocate anyone starting smoking. It's harmful to you, and any living thing exposed to it. If you want some good information on dealing with Asperger's (or the actual diagnostic criteria) PM me and I'll give you some links.

Manu

Knight
For once, travel to germany for diagnose, US shrinks aint worth shit. Sorry, but thats a fact, how else could it be that every twitchy child gets ritalin, instead of a real diagnose profile?

Manu;642530 said:
For once, travel to germany for diagnose, US shrinks aint worth shit. Sorry, but thats a fact, how else could it be that every twitchy child gets ritalin, instead of a real diagnose profile?
Can I stay at your house a bit while I'm there? If I'm gonna go to another country for any reason, I'm gonna sightsee a little bit Germany has some really mean dominatrices

Manu

Knight
Sure, ATM I only have a guest couch, but I'll be moving into a house sometime this year, there I'll probably have a guest room :)

Radwen

Wanderer
Radwen;642523 said:
Dude, whether tis alcoholism, heroine addiction or cigarettes addiction, you can get out of it with willpower only. I know a few people who did. My chinese kung-fu master for one who smoked for 20 years and stopped at 35. My friends aunt who smoked 40 years and stopped. My grand mother (even though she a skanky bitch) smoked ... *counts* 71 years .. and stopped.

They all stopped in one shot.
My master stopped out of will.
My friends aunt stopped out of will.
My grand mother stopped out of will.

and guess what.

My grandmother and grandfather were severe alcoholics for 50+ years .. grandfather died and grandmother stopped at the same time as she stopped smoking.

Nothing forced her. She could still drink with her meds, she could still smoke. She stopped purely out of will.

With will power, you can do anything that is considered possible.
qft .

FireSoul

Wanderer
DreamCatcher;642585 said:
Firesoul did you read this interesting tidbit they found out about smoking

Damage to spot in brain seems to erase smoking urge - CNN.com

I'm also trying to quit...:( Its hard to do...But keep a ashtray around and inhale and its disgusting...The smell is nasty and I dont' even know why we smoke..Habit is all...

I wish you all the luck in the world on stopping...We need a support group here..LOL

Thanks DC, I slipped today, but there is always tomorrow. I WILL do this. And yes, I've been following the news regarding the insula (the part of brain in question). So far all the research has been done on stroke victims. Not sure I'm willing to go quite that far (yet). Though they are currently working on a drug that will suppress the insula. This would be incredible as it's not just smoking that would be impacted as this is the part of the brain that controls addiction.

FireSoul;642593 said:
Thanks DC, I slipped today, but there is always tomorrow. I WILL do this. And yes, I've been following the news regarding the insula (the part of brain in question). So far all the research has been done on stroke victims. Not sure I'm willing to go quite that far (yet). Though they are currently working on a drug that will suppress the insula. This would be incredible as it's not just smoking that would be impacted as this is the part of the brain that controls addiction.

yvw....I have been slipping up too...The only thing that is helping me is that darn ashtray...Lol I've been smoking since I was 16 and I'm 41 now...I want to quit but its not as easy as it sounds...:( PM me if you need a support group...We can talk about the disgusting smell of smoking..LOL