RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting Smoking

FireSoul;642428 said:
Yes it does. I'm having a very hard time staying focused. Of course that's typical for me, but this is worse than usual. On a side note, I've read of a study using nicotine (in a pill) to treat ADHD.

As for willpower, Radwen does have a valid point. I keep getting up (without thinking) to go to the store, and have to stop myself. So yes, willpower is definately a factor.
Nicotine can help ADHD? Well that might be an option for me... I usually double my daily dose of adderall, (which brings it to 40 mg) And I weigh about 110 pounds lol. Smoking may kill me eventually, but I can easily die in my sleep from doing what I'm doing now. which may or may not be a good thing :confused:

Joeku

Lord
Anti-Basic;642443 said:
Nicotine can help ADHD? Well that might be an option for me... I usually double my daily dose of adderall, (which brings it to 40 mg) And I weigh about 110 pounds lol. Smoking may kill me eventually, but I can easily die in my sleep from doing what I'm doing now. which may or may not be a good thing :confused:
Isn't it spelled "Aderol"?

FireSoul

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;642443 said:

It's not worth it. Trust me on this one. I've kept smoking all these years because of the effect it has on my brain. Now my lungs hurt so bad it's frightening. Not to mention a recent breast cancer scare. I have to quit. Don't start!

FireSoul;642449 said:
It's not worth it. Trust me on this one. I've kept smoking all these years because of the effect it has on my brain. Now my lungs hurt so bad it's frightening. Not to mention a recent breast cancer scare. I have to quit. Don't start!
Fuck That, I have classes to pass.. If I'm gonna die earlier than usual, I'd like to think I didn't die poor.

Manu

Knight
FireSoul;642449 said:

Believe me, if you have AD(H)D and are yourself enough to be aware of it, a death of cancer sometimes is a very accaptable choice over a lifetime of not being able to leave the house.

HellRazor

Knight
The first week or two are the hardest. After that it gets easier, and eventually you won't really have any cravings for it at all.

Once you quit you'll notice how much they stink, and even how the smoke gets into clothes and hair and makes them stink. It will amaze you.

You'll stop coughing up all that brown shit too.

And Radwen is right, it's totally all about will power. It's your cravings vs. your will power. Decide that you want to quit and then stick to it. Don't "sneak" one or two, you're just torturing yourself if you are doing that.

Good luck! I was a smoker for about 15 years or so and quit. You can too!

My mom wouldn't. She died of emphysema a couple of years ago. She was very healthy except for that and probably could have lived another 10 or 20 years.

FireSoul

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;642457 said:
uhhhh? you're patting my head for smoking? Can you be my mommy plz?

Damnit, misread your post...I thought you were saying you were NOT going to smoke.

Bad boy, no cookie.

look, ADHD is one of the most fucked up problems in the country... hell so many kids who are just a little rambunctious than normal are diagnosed with it... shity its almost a fad for a parent to have a kid with ADHD now...

But the people who real;ly have it... to the point where its a disability... theres no way I can pass my classes without either A) doubling Adderall which kills my appetite severaly, can cause me to die in my sleep b/c of my low weight (which gets lower because of the appetite killing) and.. runs out, and the docs wont prescribe more, due to my weight

Or B).... I can smoke, get thru college with all my hair intact and possibly die in my 40s or 50s

yeah... I'm gonna go with option B.

besides longevity doesn't appeal to me much... as long as I live long enuff to procreate (and see them off to college) I've done my duty as a human being on earth.

FireSoul

Wanderer
HellRazor;642454 said:
...Once you quit you'll notice how much they stink, and even how the smoke gets into clothes and hair and makes them stink. It will amaze you.... My mom wouldn't. She died of emphysema a couple of years ago. She was very healthy except for that and probably could have lived another 10 or 20 years.

Thanks for the support :D I notice how much it stinks now, always have. My home is non-smoking, has been for years. My Mom died 10 years ago from lung cancer. It is not an easy way to go.

Manu

Knight
Anti-Basic;642474 said:
look, ADHD is one of the most fucked up problems in the country... hell so many kids who are just a little rambunctious than normal are diagnosed with it... shity its almost a fad for a parent to have a kid with ADHD now...

But the people who real;ly have it... to the point where its a disability... theres no way I can pass my classes without either A) doubling Adderall which kills my appetite severaly, can cause me to die in my sleep b/c of my low weight (which gets lower because of the appetite killing) and.. runs out, and the docs wont prescribe more, due to my weight

Or B).... I can smoke, get thru college with all my hair intact and possibly die in my 40s or 50s

yeah... I'm gonna go with option B.

besides longevity doesn't appeal to me much... as long as I live long enuff to procreate (and see them off to college) I've done my duty as a human being on earth.

A-fucking-men...

HellRazor

Knight
FireSoul;642476 said:
Thanks for the support :D I notice how much it stinks now, always have. My home is non-smoking, has been for years. My Mom died 10 years ago from lung cancer. It is not an easy way to go.

I can imagine. My mom was fortunate, all things considered. She was on oxygen at home for awhile and then one morning she got up, started coughing, passed out, and died. I imagine she couldn't breathe. But at least she went easy and didn't have to suffer in a hospital.