RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting Smoking

Joeku

Lord
Johabius;646423 said:
I really don't either, and I wrote it. Actually I think it goes back to one time when I was in High School. We were on some type of school sponsored road trip to somewhere about 5-6 hours away. I knew that sometime during the trip that I would need an infusion of nicotine. A Friend of mine offered me a dip, and when I asked if he had anything to spit in he said "real men swallow the spit".
I swallowed, then proceeded to get sick all over the back of the bus.
The friend that I refused the bottle to decided to spit on the floor of the bus instead :p

HellRazor

Knight
Johabius;646423 said:
I really don't either, and I wrote it. Actually I think it goes back to one time when I was in High School. We were on some type of school sponsored road trip to somewhere about 5-6 hours away. I knew that sometime during the trip that I would need an infusion of nicotine. A Friend of mine offered me a dip, and when I asked if he had anything to spit in he said "real men swallow the spit".
Yes, heart surgery is definitely studley...I really enjoyed all the attention that I was getting from the hot nurses at the Heart Hospital

I knew a guy who did that. How anyone could stand to swallow that shit, over and over again, I'll never know.

first off, don't quit in the middle of the day where you've smoked already. start off a new day without smoking. don't quit unless you absolutely want to. it won't work if you're not doing it for you. also, once you decide to quit, don't try to convince yourself that you've changed your mind 1-3 months into it.
try nicotine patches, which you can buy a two week supply of generic brand at walmart for $30 (which worked great for me, kept my cravings to a minimum, but where i screwed up was thinking that i was doing so great that i could skip steps and go to other steps early. start the patches and stay on them all day for 6 weeks per step, 18 weeks total for most, whatever the box says) and figure out something to keep your hands occupied. whatever you do, don't replace smoking with eating. i did and gained about 30+ pounds in three months. try to replace smoking with drinking (tea, water, even coffee - its much easier to kick caffeine than nicotine so that later on when you're ready you can just switch to decaff and be done with caffeine by the time your body realizes what you've done).
talk to your friends and family and let them know whats going on - they'll be happy to deal with your crankiness and bad mood now as opposed to you dieing of cancer later. you'll find an amazing amount of support from friends and family, and they'll be glad to help, even to lengths beyond what is tolerable, into what is downright infuriating. that's why you need to tell them from the very beginning exactly how much they can help and at what point their help is no longer constructive or wanted.
personally, i wouldn't bother with the nicotine gum, because it only helps when you have cravings. treat the addiction to the action of smoking first (which is the hard part); the patches work by giving your body a constant supply of nicotine at all times so that you don't *need* to smoke to get it, and once you're clear of the addiction the the act of smoking itself, beat the addiction to nicotine (which takes 48-72 hours and 4-8 tylenol to overcome).
if that fails, you may also consider talking to your doctor about treatment with wellbutrin. in any event, stay strong, take it one craving at a time, and just keep living your life. best of luck to you!! PM if you need any help or encouragement.

Johabius;646423 said:
Yes, heart surgery is definitely studley...I really enjoyed all the attention that I was getting from the hot nurses at the Heart Hospital

Ugh, I used to do that in high school because it was easier to get away with than smoking. Ever swallowed half a dip with the spit aswell( teacher got nosey, gotta stash the shit someplace eh?)? Dont think I every touched the stuff again after that oO.

Dracolique said:
yeah... like being an asshole. That seems to work well for AB

So what, I tell you off for being an insensitive cunt, and your gonna follow me from threads I aint posted in for almost a week and insult me? Grow the fuck up.

Dracolique;646895 said:
yeah... like being an asshole. That seems to work well for AB

Anti-Basic;646903 said:
So what, I tell you off for being an insensitive cunt, and your gonna follow me from threads I aint posted in for almost a week and insult me? Grow the fuck up.

Guys .... save it for a thread that doesnt have a point to it? Like "One Thing" or something.

sangredevida

Wanderer
I use to Chew Red Man. I can not see my grandmother spitting Red Man into a spit bottle. I am curious how is quitting going? When was the last time you smoked? Have you tried the gum?

FireSoul

Wanderer
sangredevida;647277 said:
I use to Chew Red Man. I can not see my grandmother spitting Red Man into a spit bottle. I am curious how is quitting going? When was the last time you smoked? Have you tried the gum?

Gum upsets my stomach, patches irritate my skin (badly). It's been...I'm trying to think, 20some hours now. I've got the shakes, chills and sweats something fierce and I can't eat.

But other than that it's a bit easier than the last time.

FireSoul;647295 said:
Gum upsets my stomach, patches irritate my skin (badly). It's been...I'm trying to think, 20some hours now. I've got the shakes, chills and sweats something fierce and I can't eat.

But other than that it's a bit easier than the last time.

Not that it will help a HUGE amount ... but maybe try getting all hints of it out of your house. Rewash any cloths you can find( lol ), scrub your fingernails real good to get that stuff off, basically try to get the smell out of your house and away from you so you have one less thing urging you to fire up lol.

Btw, its been three days sense your last post, hows it going thus far?