RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Release and Rumors oh my...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaybel

Sorceror
The above information all sounds, good .. looking forward to release. I'm looking forward to updating our tools to support the new server release :)

Vorspire

Knight
RunUO is definately the best UO Emulator out there.

I speak not because i am a RunUO user, but for the simple fact that the community is great, the dev team are prepetual and the scripting code is excellent and extremely versatile.

I was once a Sphere 55i scripter, but since the shard I was playing on at the time ( the shard I'm now head admin of ) converted to RunUO, i've been devoted to sticking with this community ever since!

Again, keep up the excellent work guys :)

Regards, Vorspire

Axle

Wanderer
Well I for one would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every member of the RunUO Dev team. There is no way I could repay all that you have contributed as far as a stable alternative to EA/OSI, and the educational opportunities you all have provided. I think you put too much weight on what these guys are saying. I believe the legit runuo community members already know the truth. I suspect that by the time the new release of RunUO comes out, the other guys' problems will begin to rear their ugly head. It's a known fact haste makes waste. I don't run a shard anymore, but if I did I would only use RunUO, as this was the first completely stable "out of the package" UO emu imho.

This Admin Will never stray from the core. My Players have over two years invested in characters, and I as their admin will not risk their time because a fly-by-night group says they can do it better. RunUO Dev team has proven themselves beyond any other emulator out there, why any admin would risk his shard with here today gone tommorrow group. Let them put in the time and show that they can produce a stable product, say a year or so worth and then I would say they were worth looking at, but why if you have a stable working core with unmatchable support and verified statistics, would you want to look somewhere else.

I started running a server with poll then sphere both left much to be desired both in stability and in features. I was searching for an alternative when I happened upon RunUO back in december of 02. We as a shard decided that a fresh start was the logical alternative at the time. With the server wipe in jan 03 and reload with RunUO We have never sence suffered a complete data loss. Granted there have been periods when I tried to push up on core updates by working with third parties, and while they still today write remarkable code (Some of which I use to this day) I learned a valuable lesson, anytime I try to add an OSI feature ahead of the dev team ineviatbly there will be minor data loss. For that reason I always tell player base any thing I give them early to play with is subject to removal, only core scripts can be counted on to remain for the life of the shard. All customs as they should be can possibly be removed to better the shard.

The RunUO community, and especially the dev team, have taken me to a level of c# understanding that I had not considered ataining. For this I will always be indebted to this community. And especially Ryan, Krrios, and Zippy who have on numerous occasions helped or shared with me. To the rest of the dev team which I have not had direct contact, I would also say thank you for your devotion to a project that I have come to love and trust.

ok i have a question about the new verison.

your server use runuo 1.0.0 / 1.0RC the change is still in process

we change, hmm, perhaps 75% of the runuo files (the files not the core)

the question is, how compatible would be the new runuo version to 1.0.0?
changing a runing server from one version to an other ist hard work, you can believe it.
now i don't know, if i should spend more time in changeing our server from 1.0Rc to 1.0.0 or should i wait for next release? our 1.0.0 server is runing in a beta but still haen many bugs :(

Phantom

Knight
Arthur Drakonis said:
ok i have a question about the new verison.

your server use runuo 1.0.0 / 1.0RC the change is still in process

we change, hmm, perhaps 75% of the runuo files (the files not the core)

the question is, how compatible would be the new runuo version to 1.0.0?
changing a runing server from one version to an other ist hard work, you can believe it.
now i don't know, if i should spend more time in changeing our server from 1.0Rc to 1.0.0 or should i wait for next release? our 1.0.0 server is runing in a beta but still haen many bugs :(

You would need to merge your changes clearly, but it fully compatible, if you did that.

You should update to the current version now, then update to the current version when the next release changes. The fact your still using RC means you still have alot of performance issues I would gather.

Messiah2

Sorceror
RunUO was the best
RunUO is the best
RunUO will be the best

Respect to all RunUO Team and dishonor to such people, who attack them :)

RoninGT

Sorceror
Ryan you guys are doing an A+ job. I have followed the RunUO Project sence about day one and you guys were then and still are the best out. Best part of RunUO is that you keep true to how OSI/EA has it but yet allow users to add their own flair to the game. I have seen these "forks" and would never use based on half the code tries to emulate OSI/EA but does a poor job of it. Like you said They would be nothing without you guys. I cant wait to see the next release of RunUO. I never mind waiting for the real deal. Some ppl cant wait and have to go download a fork "I know a few" and most i know have had to wipe their entire servers cause of problems or just the fact that they found out the hard way you cant beat RunUO.

Ronin

RunUO
Accept No Substitute :cool:

siran

Sorceror
I just want to say a great big "thank you" to Ryan and the rest of the team. As a middle aged guy and programmer for over 20 years (old school stuff, though, like Fortran & Cobol) I would never have been able to even get started making something like RunUO from scratch. I'm still struggling to modify scripts, though thanks to the RunUO open source and lots of help from people on this forum I'm now a notch above noob. I have no desire to modify the core but am greatly appreciative to be able to see it; I can understand more that way. Give me another 3 or 4 years and maybe I'll be a good C# programmer. heh.

Viago said:
there is nothing you can do while programing something that is to be relased from the internet, and or consumers. hackers/crackers will allways find a way to re engineer.
You can always modify programming :)

cfaust

Wanderer
Well I knew that the RunUO team was working on a 64-bit on the side, but for a 32-bit .net 2.0 and a 64-bit .net 2.0 AND a normal .net 1.1 all at the same time??? You guys are simply amazing, I'm not surprised in the least to hear about all that, but I am again impressed. The 64-bit version should run like a raped ape under Win2k3 64, hell 1.0.0 runs excellent under Win2k3 64.

Nam01

Wanderer
lol

Dont listen to them Ryan you and your team are doing great job keep it up we can wait if we have too.

WarStoke

Wanderer
I just think the whole thing is amazing I mean think about it
A group of people get together to work their butts off for no reason but self satisfaction. I mean really look at it they can’t rely (by cant spell) on people to donate that probebly barely covers hosting fees. They can’t live off praise because there are always going to be jerks. But they have come around and worked on a project that rivals and exceeds a corporate work of the same genre. I think it’s pretty wicked that they can manage even 1 full release every 10-14 months considering they have lives. Think about it most development houses take 3 years from conception to publication for the really crappy games.

Personally I think when runuo and uo have run their course in a few years that these people should get together on a complete independent project using what they have learned here.
between RunUo and the Kirros client (I think its called PlayUo now or something) all your really relying on from the uo distro is the graphics.
and personally I think you guys could kick EA's butt in releasing a mmorpg you just need a universe and if you guys want one I can think of a few authors fantasy novels that could be adapted to great games *cough*Piers Anthony’s Xanth*cough* *cough*Discworld*cough*

MarciXs

Sorceror
Ryan said:
...First of all the next Release will be 3 Binaries, not just 1 as you're used to. You will get a .NET 1.1 binary, as well as a .NET 2.0 binary optimized for the 32 bit platform as well as the 64 bit platform...

Binaries? I hope there will be source codes too , will they?

thanks.

cfaust said:
Well I knew that the RunUO team was working on a 64-bit on the side, but for a 32-bit .net 2.0 and a 64-bit .net 2.0 AND a normal .net 1.1 all at the same time??? You guys are simply amazing, I'm not surprised in the least to hear about all that, but I am again impressed. The 64-bit version should run like a raped ape under Win2k3 64, hell 1.0.0 runs excellent under Win2k3 64.

RunUO is simply excellently programmed and it's performance has increased greatly over the years. I run the server on Windows 98 and it never crashes (Have had uptimes of over 2 months with Beta36), RunUO just always works and performs excellently no matter what hardware and operating system you got.

For the Windows 98 bashers, my webserver and forums run on a windows 98 machine too, and that thing has managed to get 5 months of uptime before we had a powerfailure that shut the thing down. Last month it sent out 12GB of data to my small community and had an average of 11k hits per day. Not bad for a pentium 800 machine (was a Cyrix 300 with 92MB RAM not long ago, ha ha)

LordHogFred

Knight
Can I just give one small request to the RunUO team regarding the new release. If it includes the new Mondains Legacy quest system would it be possible for it not to conflict with Artegordons XML Spawner quests?

Thank You :),

ArteGordon

Wanderer
LordHogFred said:
Can I just give one small request to the RunUO team regarding the new release. If it includes the new Mondains Legacy quest system would it be possible for it not to conflict with Artegordons XML Spawner quests?

Thank You :),
dont worry. It wont. Anyway, it is much easier for me to accomodate the new changes than the other way around :)

Status
Not open for further replies.