RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Release and Rumors oh my...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfaust

Wanderer
Ankhesentapemkah said:
RunUO is simply excellently programmed and it's performance has increased greatly over the years. I run the server on Windows 98 and it never crashes (Have had uptimes of over 2 months with Beta36), RunUO just always works and performs excellently no matter what hardware and operating system you got.

For the Windows 98 bashers, my webserver and forums run on a windows 98 machine too, and that thing has managed to get 5 months of uptime before we had a powerfailure that shut the thing down. Last month it sent out 12GB of data to my small community and had an average of 11k hits per day. Not bad for a pentium 800 machine (was a Cyrix 300 with 92MB RAM not long ago, ha ha)

To each their own man, if you have it working that's awesome, and your users are getting full on 24/7 useage that's even better.

Phantom

Knight
MarciXs said:
Binaries? I hope there will be source codes too , will they?

thanks.

Its required by the GPL license to provide the source code, if your distrubute a GPL product/program, Ryan doesn't have to say ( its going to be released it has to be ).

DadsDomain

Wanderer
I am new to run uo have tried all the others on my lan at home none compare to Run Uo i am gratefull for the smart Minds Behind the machine that is helping my son learn programing (15 years old). The support in these forums is far superior to any others.

Again thanks :)

Vidi

Page
I don't even like Official UO anymore.

Sure Ill buy the software but only so I can play it on a RunUO server.

Why?

Less lag, better community

ANYONE hoping to build an emulator for ANY game should come to RunUO first and see how it's done. RunUO is what EVERY emulation community should aspire to be. It is the precedent, the prototype, the best.

Even though I am playing other games now, I still stop by RunUO from time to time to see whats new. I don't uninstall UOGateway or UO just because RunUO exists and is GREAT!

RunUO has surpassed Ultima Online in nearly every way that counts.

Pretenders can say what they will because they are just that...pretenders. There is only ONE RunUO. Only ONE RunUO community.

I'm still of the opinion RunUO should develop its own game. That's a game I would be sure to play for years and years.

Lysdexic

Sorceror
Quite honestly, I could never understand why anyone would want to create a fork of RunUO... collaboration is what made this the tops to begin with, wasn't it?

cfaust

Wanderer
Lysdexic said:
Quite honestly, I could never understand why anyone would want to create a fork of RunUO... collaboration is what made this the tops to begin with, wasn't it?

Eh.. Forks have a hard time keeping up after some time has passed, it was just much easier for them to piggy-back from RunUO versus creating their own software.

James4245 said:
How easy will it be to take a RunUo 1.0 shard and upgrade it to a 2.0?
That really depends on how custom your shard is. You will have to have basic scripting abilities 1st && understand ser/deser and then you can convert... But noone can tell for sure how much time it will take you. Maybe a day, maybe a week...
But all in all the devs did an awesome job in making it easy to convert to 1.0, so they will do it this time too for sure. :)
If you want to use the .NET 2.0 version it might take you a bit longer.
Don't overestimate what I think, it might all be wrong. ;)

cfaust

Wanderer
Kamuflaro said:
That really depends on how custom your shard is. You will have to have basic scripting abilities 1st && understand ser/deser and then you can convert... But noone can tell for sure how much time it will take you. Maybe a day, maybe a week...
But all in all the devs did an awesome job in making it easy to convert to 1.0, so they will do it this time too for sure. :)
If you want to use the .NET 2.0 version it might take you a bit longer.
Don't overestimate what I think, it might all be wrong. ;)

Sounds about right to me; if you go from 1.0.0 under .NET 1.1 it should be just about the same as going from the prior version of RunUO and upgrading to 1.0.0; upgrading from 1.0.0 under .NET 2.0 will take a little more time and knowlege of C#, as some of the syntax has changed for .NET 2.0. Regardless; I am anxious for this new release, and remain impressed that there are 3 versions due for release soon.

mgardner323

Wanderer
Release Day

I was wondering if anyone had a general idea when 2.0 is going to be released. Really Looking forward to it.

Thanks
Mgardner323

TMSTKSBK

Lord
NOOOOOOO!

You just added a day to the release date.

Note ASayre's post:
Whenever someone asks when, we add a day.

NO ASKING!

Manu

Knight
mgardner323 said:
I was wondering if anyone had a general idea when 2.0 is going to be released. Really Looking forward to it.

Thanks
Mgardner323

*smites you with a mighty blade* :(

TMSTKSBK said:
NOOOOOOO!

Note ASayre's post:

NO ASKING!
Hmmm... If I wasn't so eager to see the new release, I'd spam that question now. :) (Saves me from being banned, hehe)

Phantom

Knight
James4245 said:
How easy will it be to take a RunUo 1.0 shard and upgrade it to a 2.0?

Depends on your knowlege of C#

98% of the code will work exactly the same, the only code that won't is the code that was restructured and updated within the C# 2.0 specficiations.

The 2% of the code you will have to update, will be easy to update, with a little research.

LordHogFred

Knight
I remember my first upgrade. Beta 36 to RC0. Haha, that was amusing, took me almost a week to get it sorted. I was dreading RC0 to RUO 1.0.0 and then relaised I had picked up so much C# knowledge in the time between updates it only took me a day. With the help of Winmerge and some patience upgrading isn't really that stressful :).

AdminVile

Sorceror
TMSTKSBK said:
NOOOOOOO!

Note ASayre's post:

NO ASKING!

Hmmn as far as i can tell we already into sometime next year if ASayre's prediction was true. considering just whats been posted in this thread it should be sometime in feb but if you take all the other places on runuo where it has been asked then we are into christmas of 2006:(

Status
Not open for further replies.