RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 1.0 - 24 hour notice

krrios

Administrator
RunUO 1.0 - 24 hour notice

Tomorrow, January 21st at 9:00 PM EST, RunUO 1.0 will be released to the public.

I founded RunUO in May of 2002. Like all my projects before that, and all after, RunUO was simply about learning. It was about pushing myself--learning new systems, learning how to code them cleanly--simply producing quality code. Nearly two and a half years later, RunUO has matured beyond anything I would have previously thought possible.

As a programmer, all I have learned is self taught: I first learned to program not by reading a book, nor by taking a class, but just looking at other peoples code and then digging in--seeing what I could do. In many ways RunUO has made this possible for others. The final step will be taken tomorrow; the core source code will be made publicly available for all to learn from.

It is my hope that this will give back something to the community that has made RunUO what it is. If I can give something back to one of the 40,000 users on this site, or to the countless players worldwide who use this software, then I'm happy. RunUO has always been a quest of knowledge for me, and now others can use it for the same.

Being involved in this project over the past years has been an amazing opportunity for me to meet so many talented individuals. To talk with them, work with them, and share a love for both programming and the game is something truly unique, and I am deeply thankful to you all for being involved in this project.

Now that I'm done being all sentimental, I'll see about getting a preliminary changelog for your guys.

Triper99

Wanderer
OMG FINALLY! TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH!!! j/k

on a serious note,
I would like to thank kirros, Ryan and all the other people who worked on this project.

Your program motovated me to learn my first programming language! Even though im definately not the best in the world, im catching on quick and learning the ways of the vets.

Just like kirros, i learned my programming skills from looking at other people's work, modding that then trying to do somthing with the knowledge i gained.

Without the hard work of kirros, Ryan and all of the RunUO team, i never would have had the opportunity to expand my knowledge and learn C#

THANK YOU!!!!

*p.s. i really need to read my posts before submitting (already edited 3 times in 5 min)*

Zotos

Sorceror
Kinda scaring me this all sounds like a going away party or a last farewell. Well i hope that this is not true. You guy have changed alot of lives with this program and have definatly effected mine. before runuo i had no intentions on ever writing a program. I was just an everyday gamer. Now I can actully call myself a programmer and I owe it all to you guys. Hats off to ya :D

EggMan

Wanderer
Ryan said:
*bows to the almighty krrios* Its been a blast sir!
ya all sound like you are giving up on the project or something, I hope thats not the case. I hope this is just an opening of a new chaper for RunUO...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Nope, this is just the beginning, there is only one direction to go, and that is up :)

sliptongue69

Sorceror
Congratulations fathers of RunUO! Gotta be damned proud!

I know you aren't taking part in a RunWoW, how about any other emus once RUO is up to date completely with EA?

HellRazor

Knight
Thank you Krrios, and I mean that sincerely.

Thank you for producing a wonderful UO emulator. Thank you for being such a great, caring, and well rounded person. And thank you for allowing us access to the source so that we can utilize it to learn and further our own learning and enhancements.

You and all the devs are terrific people and it's wonderful to see what RunUO has become, and it will be great to see what it yet will be.

When the RunUO project first started, I admit I was pessimistic. Not of anyone's abilities so much as of the ability of the group to pull it together and to stick with it over a period of time. Remember this was on the heals of some of the disappointments in the UOX and Sphere communities.

But then some wonderful things happened. It started with a solid philosophy behind the emulator itself, that it would strive to remain current with current clients and game features and be as bug free as possible. It continued with the adding of talented programmers to the team and a rapid succession of solid, bug free releases, each of them expanding the emulator in scope and ability as time went on. And finally, a huge and equally talented community formed around the emulator to provide ongoing support and a seemingly never ending supply of new scripts. To top it all off, anything was possible in RunUO, very few limitations. Truly the sky was the limit!

It was all enough to make a POL die hard like myself change over back around Beta 13 (can't exactly recall). And I've not looked back or regretted the switch.

Best of all is that by learning "scripting" for RunUO I actually get to learn a new programming language that has real world applications outside of the EMU world.

What a wonderful achievement, you can surely feel proud of what you have accomplished both personally and for all of us.

Long Live RunUO, long may she reign!

PerfectWing

Wanderer
Awesome. There's some new techniques in there, in a particular system actually, that I've been rather anxious to get ahold of. Conveniently, I've got the entire weekend to snoop into said systems and learn some new moves. Perhaps forwarding something along that I've been dieing to complete.

With my new job as a Correctional Officer, I'm hoping to be able to get back into the swing of things on a regular, consistant basis.

Zotos

Sorceror
PerfectWing said:
Correctional Officer
Maybe you can get some of your inmates into UO and they will pick up a skill while doing time. this would be a big improvement on real life comunity.

Busta

Wanderer

kick ass! Hope to see 2.0 some day!

Without you guys I wouldn't have become a decent c# scriptor and I hope to progress with you!

sliptongue69

Sorceror
Just thought about this. Will your server support 40,000 users downloading on an average of 60 KB/sec at the same time? I know it can take some shit but, about 1-2gig/sec hits? That would just be fore one file, there will be multiple downloads and everything.