RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 2.0 Update - What it means for you

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
RunUO 2.0 Update - What it means for you

Over the coming days and perhaps a week or two you will see the RunUO 2.0 transformation taking place. The RunUO Team has decided as a group that we need to really just open the community up and get the community involved in making RunUO better, after all that is the goal of “Open Source” right?

That said we’re ushering in an entirely new development approach, one that will allow you the RunUO user to assist in the development of RunUO. So what does this mean?

This means we are opening up our development repository to allow people to "check out" the latest version we are working on, grab the latest code and submit patches for any bugs you might find and in general have the ability to stay on-par with us in regards to where we are at in development.

RunUO has come a long way since its birth and we're very proud of it. RunUO 2.0 is not completely about code, or a new release but rather a complete rebuild of the entire community on which we have built RunUO. Our goal is to help the community rebuild what it was in the early days, bring back the glory of what RunUO was when everyone was a newbie and allow you, our users to participate in the active development of future releases of RunUO.

I've been watching the "official" UO development a lot lately and they are on their last leg. You can only take this game so far and what they have today is already a shadow of what UO was. We've done our best to give everyone what they want and here we are 4 years later, 3 successful shards and a huge development community under our belt.

We appreciate the support you've given us over the last few years and we know without you this could have never happened we know that and we thank you.

We're working as hard as we can to get the final code cleanups done to put it into the public repository to share with all of you. As soon as that is done we will update the site and let you know. I don’t particularly think it's going to be too terribly long, but I wouldn't hold your breath for this weekend ;) Personally I think the weather is too nice outside for us to stay in all weekend working on RunUO!

I know there will be a lot of questions and I know you'll want answers but I encourage you to sit back and enjoy the ride, this will be fun.

Phantom

Knight
This will be my only post that I make, before I talk to you in private, but figured I wanted to show my support. I will be honest, if you said you were going to close the website, I would show you my support. I will say the following,that I have wanted this for a while, and besides passing my Computer Organization class with an A there is nothing that could make me happier ( alright perhaps winning the lottery ).

I think this will allow people to develop and share their work, for the next stage of RunUO Development. Which I feel is more important then anything, since everyone at one point, most likely will use something somebody else ( within the community ) has written.

Don't get me wrong, I will look forward to anything I am able to give back to the community, thats clearly always been the case. Big props to those developers that came over to the light-side ( private joke between myself and one particular developer ).

I will say that what I know about the next release, people will have to go to a doctor to get theire jaws wired shut, since they will drop so far that they will break their own jaw :)

I am in the process of reinstalling everything, I will talk to you later this weekend Ryan about my future here.

ACME_INC

Sorceror
As you can see I do not post a whole heck of a lot around here, but I do frequent the forums whenever I have some sort of problem. I wanted to break radio silence and say that I am getting really exited about all of this. Thanks for all of the time and effort you guys have put into this project. You work harder and are more dedicated to the game then the people who run the official version of it. I’m sure if Phantom is excited about this next release then it must really be something. Peace

Uhhhh

Wanderer
Awesome news Ryan, I was wondering when a CVS type thing was going to come into play. I knew it was inevitable. :D

You and the rest of the dev team, along with the helpful members of this community, rock!

Johabius

Knight
Thanks Ryan for the great news! Great things are happening here, and I'm glad to just be even a small part of this community;)

RoninGT

Sorceror
Great news Ryan. I dont know much about this new system your speaking of where we the users can submit patchs? The RunUO Team would aprove any patch submited right? Cause even myself i feel i am a good scripter but i never considered myself to be up to par with RunUO. The greatest thing about RunUO is how professional it is run and upheld and is what seperates RunUO from all the other emus out there. RunUO is truly in a league by its self.

Again great news on RunUO, You guys keep up the good work

Ronin

Jeff

Lord
RoninGT said:
The RunUO Team would aprove any patch submited right?
I dont think it would be ANY patch, but more of a submit to be qualified type of deal.

Reading it again, maybe you meant "Are the members of the RunUO Team the ones that would be approving the patch?"

bzk90

Lord
Sounds good, personaly im not programmer but im glad to see runuo moving into a true OPENSOURCE style of development. *drinks on me guys*

Irian

Page
Yup, would be interessting to know how the "new" patch submission system will look like. Otherwise: Sounds nice.

Gaea

Sorceror
I haven't posted much in the year (or whatever) That I've been here, but I do keep an eye on things.

You all are doing a great job, and I can only imagine the work load this project must be for you.

I know we're all waiting with bated breath for this release, but I jsut wanted to be one (of many i assume) to say Great Job!, Thanks for all your hard work...it IS appreciated. Go out this weekened, have some fun and celebrate your success, for even though it's not finished...you've come a long way towards the goal.

If Phantom says our jaws will drop..I'm sure this has to be mind boggling. (why do i feel like a 10 yr old on christmas eve???)

I'm also intrigued by the idea of letting the community have a hand in this...Great job. I think it needs a bit of..."pilling together" again...

Anyway..Cheers to ya, Thanks again

*hangs a "THANK YOU RUNUO DEV TEAM" Banner on her roof*

una

Sorceror
Im new here, i dont really know, about amazing features of 2.0, other than SE and parts of ML support. I cant even imagine, how big work this has been, but im glad that you guys did it.

Thanks for this awesome program!
Keep up the good work.

una- ( im crappy at speeches ) ( and in english )
:)

GreyGhost

Sorceror
well nice decision

look at microsoft and windows they make everyone who uses their product be techsupport bye letting errors go in without fixing them till the pop their ugly heads

What yall are doing is a good thing bye actually asking us to do it we wont feel like we are doing work for ya for free and making us pay to do it or waiting for ya to fix it :D

LOL oh yeah thanks for letting us test for ya :D
much more enjoyment

Markvg

Wanderer
I only have a few words to say. First of all thanks to Ryan and all the team for giving everyone of us the opportunity to experience RunUO. Personnally I'm looking ahead for this release's first issue and I will try to fix and post any bugs which I may find(Not saying there will be but in my experience there always are some hidden ones). Anyway cheers and looking forward to this.

Ravenal

Knight
WOOT!.... *Stamps the RUNUO in SIG!* LETS GO RUNUO! :p

PS RunUO you can count on me in future developments to catch little issues or bugs in the near future that I happen to fix for future RunUO :D :) Keep it up