RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 2.0 Update - What it means for you

Windfire

Wanderer
That's not entirely true. While OSI was a subsidary of EA, Electronic Arts did not have a hand in Ultima Online at all. I was working for OSI when EA decided to "take over" operations of Ultima Online. The process took quite a while before they actually moved everything from Texas. There was most definately a HUGE change in the game, and the demeanor of the staff. I must agree that since dissolving the actual OSI entity (they still use the name, logo.. etc) EA has really done some desperate things to keep the game going, and it's not even a shell of what it once was. I knew quite a few of the devs, lead GMs.. etc from the old days... it was an amazing team. Thank God (or in this case is it our devs?) for good emulators!

As someone who played UO during the change from OSI (as part of EA) to EA entirely, I can tell you there was a difference. The free support team was laid off because they didn't want to pay them and gm assistance became a matter of canned messages describing what a gm is not allowed to do. The game has always been owned by EA in the larger sense, but in the legal sense it was property of OSI and OSI was property of EA. EA dissolved OSI and took ownership of the software.

Phantom

Knight
Windfire said:
As someone who played UO during the change from OSI (as part of EA) to EA entirely, I can tell you there was a difference. The free support team was laid off because they didn't want to pay them and gm assistance became a matter of canned messages describing what a gm is not allowed to do. The game has always been owned by EA in the larger sense, but in the legal sense it was property of OSI and OSI was property of EA. EA dissolved OSI and took ownership of the software.

The only thing that really changed is how the company EA ran its smaller departments. While clearly we cannot compare their departments making video games today to those 10 years ago. I can say that they do have more say on the games then they did, which is clearly evident from what appears to be a change on how Ultima Online development team handled things.

Like I said, EA has changed over the years and while something that work 15 years ago might have worked for them, having a hands on their departments is actually a good thing most of the time, just look at the Madden series for evidence of that.

Clearly I even know about the "change" that appears to have taken place between the clouser of the OSI office and the move to the main EA office. We also cannot blame that change on EA, but perhaps the industry making it harder to have two offices, even though everything important was being done out of the EA office.

Doesn't really matter where the "team" who codes for Ultima Online, the change we all know about would have taken place no matter what, its just a matter of finding the right project manager to bring back some of postive elements that have been perhaps lost over the years.

Would like to add, even Ultima Online's creator understand that while UO is a great game, is still the first generation of those games. I am actually looking foward to his new game, since it would be what some consider a third generation, and looks really cool.

Windfire

Wanderer
Doesn't really matter where the "team" who codes for Ultima Online, the change we all know about would have taken place no matter what, its just a matter of finding the right project manager to bring back some of postive elements that have been perhaps lost over the years.

I'm not convinced that UO is not beyond saving. The distinctive of UO was it's totally balanced PVP system and simple character system. Both of those things have been gone so long that to return to them now would undo the hard work of a lot of players and thus probably depopulate the game.

Phantom

Knight
sidsid said:
The point I was trying to show was that EA completely owned OSI BEFORE UO even existed.

Besides the one person who tried to claim I was wrong, and thus you wrong, and 99% of this forum wrong. Who are you trying to convince, anyone that really knows what they are talking about know that fact :)

mogbert

Wanderer
This is what i have got

This is what i have got from looking up the info for you guys..

In March 2001, Electronic Arts (parent company of Origin) announced that development on Ultima Worlds Online: Origin (Ultima online 2) would cease in order to provide additional support for Ultima Online. Shortly after, EA announced it had laid off 200 employees including some at Origin Systems.

Just a few years later, history repeated itself when EA cancelled Ultima X: Odyssey in 2004

EA is sometimes criticized for buying smaller development studios primarily for their intellectual property assets, and then making the developers produce run-of-the-mill games on these same franchises. For example, Origin produced Ultima VIII: Pagan and Ultima IX: Ascension under EA's ownership, and these two are considered among the worst of the series, obviously aimed at lowest common denominator audience. (Richard Garriott, the originator of the Ultima series, wasn't fond of EA at all, and previous Ultima games contained some subtle attacks on EA). Late productions generally have not been known for their originality.

(((( Mog: Isnt that the frigin truth ))))

EA is also criticized for shutting down its acquired studios after a poorly performing game. Many see EA's control and direction as being primarily responsible for the game's failure rather than the studio.

, Westwood Studios, and Bullfrog had previously produced games attracting a significant fanbase, and when they were closed down many top designers and programmers refused to stay with EA and formed rival studios.

(((( Mog: Dammit i was hoping for a sequal to syndicate, and syndicate wars one day.. ))))

EA has also been criticized for other aggressive business methods like the acquisition of 19.9 percent of shares of their competitor Ubisoft in what was called a "hostile act" by Ubisoft

(((( Mog: Dammit there gonna screw ubi 2,. i liked them, there sequal to heroes of might and magic was pretty good.. ))))

Released on September 30, 1997, by Origin Systems, Ultima Online (UO) was a popular graphical massively multiplayer online role-playing game that was instrumental to the development of the genre, and is still running today.

Several expansions have been released, but its aging game engine and graphics make it very outdated compared to competitive, new massively multiplayer games. Since the release of Ultima Online: Age of Shadows expansion, many veteran players have all but removed themselves from the game to either try new MMORPGs, free shards (((( Mog : thats what im talkin about )))) , or quit entirely.

Ultima Online was originally intended to ship with artwork depicting human children. This artwork appeared in the beta version, but was removed before the final version was released over concerns that the game might not get acceptable ratings if players found ways to abuse the children, even though they had no fighting animations. (((( Mog : i like this one because they are full of crap, because those child animations were in 2d all the way up to age of renessance they were not elliminated after the beta ))))

Technically-inclined fans of Ultima Online have reverse-engineered the game to produce emulators of the original game servers. This emulation is legal, and EA is aware of its existence, although in certain countries the authors of these emulators are considered to have violated their software license by reverse-engineering the game, and may be banned from the official UO servers as a result (((( Mog: thats kind of a reward, no? ))))

(((( Mog: there was a time when ultima online was www.uo.com then it changed to www.owo.com and now its back to www.uo.com, im assuming that had somthing to do with all of this but i cant say forsure. )))

The company was founded in 1983 by brothers Robert and Richard Garriott ("Lord British"), their father Owen and Chuck "Chuckles" Bueche after Richard had terminated his contract with Sierra On-Line to publish the third part in Richard's Ultima series, Exodus: Ultima III.

Origin produced many successful games including the Ultima Series, Wing Commander Series, Strike Commander, Crusader: No Remorse, System Shock, and Wings of Glory.

In September 1992 Electronic Arts acquired the company.

In 1997, they released one of the earliest and most successful graphical Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games: Ultima Online. After this title, Electronic Arts decided that Origin would become an online-only company after the completion of Ultima IX in 1999. However, within a year's time, EA cancelled all of Origin's new development projects, including Ultima Online 2, Privateer Online, and Harry Potter Online. Richard Garriott left Origin shortly after and founded Destination Games in 2000. (((( Mog: ya see the original guy was pissed off at EA for being mentally challenged and left ))))

In later years, Origin mainly existed to support and expand Ultima Online and to develop further online games based on the Ultima franchise such as Ultima X: Odyssey, originally to be released in 2004 but later cancelled. In February of 2004, the studio was disbanded by Electronic Arts.

(((( Mog: im really not liking EA games ))))

Richard Garriott creator of Ultima, founder of Origin. Later founded Destination Games later acquired by NC Soft.

(((( Mog: well maybe theres hope yet ))))

(((( Mog: I do remember though Prior to EA games Infussion of video game aids on origin systems, the advertisment at the start of UO was Origin systems "we create worlds" then of course EA games spunked there EA games challenge everything crap on it later. it was when UO went 3d from memory anyway. besides you know EA is just screwing around with ultima i mean the addition of the sex sounds is enough.. you know there just messing around.. thats about it for what info i can find. feel free to look more up if you need it))))

EA is also criticized for shutting down its acquired studios after a poorly performing game. Many see EA's control and direction as being primarily responsible for the game's failure rather than the studio.

Westwood Studios, and Bullfrog had previously produced games attracting a significant fanbase, and when they were closed down many top designers and programmers refused to stay with EA and formed rival studios.

Add Maxis to that list as well.

mogbert

Wanderer
Omg

Dude your so right.

i forgot about the EA games crap at the start of Sim city 4,. no wonder i hated part 4...

you know what.

think about all the EA games BS...
they seem to buy out all these little companys with sweet game ideas.
then they release crappyer versions of the game,. and sell them
the seems to be the EA way. because all the games i like and wished there was a sequal to always get butchered by EA. it isnt making the sequals that kills my favorite games.... its EA...

it all makes sence now..

Courageous

Wanderer
Quote:

April 1, 1996--ORIGIN(R) Systems, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Electronic Arts(R) (Nasdaq:ERTS),

It's often--even usually!!--the case that "wholly owned subsidiaries" have very independent operations from their parent corporations (in fact, independence is almost a requirement to maintain separate corporate holding legal status). As was the case of Origin systems during much of the early life cycle of UO.

There was a later stage at Origin systems, where EA changed the nature of this independence. The community may be confused about ownership issues, but they are correct when they say that EA began to meddle in UO's development at a particular time.

FYI.

C//

mogbert

Wanderer
This info

The info i provided i just looked up,. and mixed matched from a few different sources so people could see what i found...

i dont really care much about this subject personally because i dont play OSI

i cant do a comparison personally because i played Ultima from beta testing the game till about a year and a half after it was released. i quit while the game was still 2D i kept up on it to see what they added but i started my own server prior to the release of a 3d client on sphere so i wasnt there for this whole apparent EA retartedness. i do know however that all the game companys i liked that have been "aquired" by EA started producing Crap games shortly after. i just never put 2 and 2 together until this conversation.

Phantom

Knight
Courageous said:
Quote:

It's often--even usually!!--the case that "wholly owned subsidiaries" have very independent operations from their parent corporations (in fact, independence is almost a requirement to maintain separate corporate holding legal status). As was the case of Origin systems during much of the early life cycle of UO.

There was a later stage at Origin systems, where EA changed the nature of this independence. The community may be confused about ownership issues, but they are correct when they say that EA began to meddle in UO's development at a particular time.

FYI.

C//

Like I said I don't disagree a change did happen, I argue that its entirely EA's fault and perhaps more to this change then how they read their departments like Maxis and OSI.

Would like to add, perhaps its not the people at EA we should blame, but the people at OSI that jumped ship?

Maxis behind Will Wright ( sp ) is doing really well. Sims and Sims 2 sold what like 3 million copies each, and god knows how many expansion packs?

Now with Spore, that will hell allow for unlimited expansion packs, I mean how can you not "expand" the universe to allow for more items. Of course what will happen is the "users" content and perhaps "creators" content will be added as expansion packs.

Anyways needless to say EA Sports, and Maxis are my favorite game studios for alot of reasons.

mogbert

Wanderer
i liked

Personally i enjoyed,.

Maxis, for the whole sim sector, perticularly Simcity
Bullfrog, for syndicate series
Microprose, mostly for UFO enemy unknown and Xcom TFTD but i liked
the transport tycoon game and rollercoaster tycoon 2, not to mention Master of orion 2.

i cant really say ive ever really played much EA sports.

Phantom said:
Like I said I don't disagree a change did happen, I argue that its entirely EA's fault and perhaps more to this change then how they read their departments like Maxis and OSI.

Would like to add, perhaps its not the people at EA we should blame, but the people at OSI that jumped ship?

Maxis behind Will Wright ( sp ) is doing really well. Sims and Sims 2 sold what like 3 million copies each, and god knows how many expansion packs?

Now with Spore, that will hell allow for unlimited expansion packs, I mean how can you not "expand" the universe to allow for more items. Of course what will happen is the "users" content and perhaps "creators" content will be added as expansion packs.

Anyways needless to say EA Sports, and Maxis are my favorite game studios for alot of reasons.
Wait..I am confused..Wasn't Will Wright with Maxis BEFORE EA bought them? or no? I do think that not as much has changed with Maxis as Origin after the takeover.

And You are right, I may hate EA as much as everyone else here, but if they do one thing perfectly, It's sports

mogbert

Wanderer
Wait

Didnt EA originally make All sports games before it started buying the smaller companys?

it kinda sucks though because all the older games i used to like are dead now..

Except X-com was bought by Hasbro, which made it a crappy first person shooter...

Anyone remember X-com?

TMSTKSBK

Lord
They made Need For Speed...that was a good game.

I have the PC version of High Stakes...the intro says "Electronic Arts", not EA...

(@Jabroney: EVERYTHING! O_O)

Avelyn

Sorceror
Anti-Basic said:
Well can you settle this matter? I know shard staff arent part of the business aspect, but who is right here? I am curious.

It has been settled unfortunately. Being part of both the volunteer staff and then as an employee I've seen both sides. It wasn't really OSI's fault that this happened. They just handled it very poorly. The whole mess actually started with Asheron's Call. When it was in its very early stages they had a volunteer support staff like UO. Because they set schedules for their "counselors" some who were fired got mad and sued because they wanted work wages. Unfortunately they won, when EA saw this they started getting worried. (The disbanding of the volunteer programs was actually one of the first big moves EA did in regards to OSI). And it didnt take long for a few pissed off ex counselors to do the same thing to UO. The class action suit was completed a couple years ago well after the programs were disbanded and any counselor or Senior Companion was able to join it to get some reimbursement if they wished. Personally it make me sick. While there were a few bad people in the program, those counselor, seer and companion programs were a great first line support tier for the GMs. It was nice to have people to talk to instead of wayward automated messages.