RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 2.0 Update - What it means for you

T

Trollofsorrows

New Shard

That's a shame. You should wait till something comes out. You have the most options before you start actracting a player base. Plus think of all the extra work readding all your custom scripts to the new style of runuo. It's better to wait for a new shard. Fill your time with custom items you can make. I am doing a custom map 3 while I wait for the new runuo.

mordan

Wanderer
im still new to runuo and to making a shard but from what i do know and have seen ..there are alot of great scripters here and alot of great staff working to improve a wonderfull program ...i cant wait till its released ...untill then i will continue to get used to building a shard on my private test shard and will use that knowledge when the new one is released to actually start a public server ...keep up the great work everyone and thanks for making uo fun again :)

Phantom

Knight
I think EA did worse on their own than they did with Origin personally though.

EA has owned OSI the ENITRE lifespan of Ultima Online.

So how can they do worst exactly? They have always be "on thier own" since they owned the company.

OSI is no difference then the company Florida that published the Madden 06 for xbox 360 ( who I was able to meet one of the head programmers ) and who teaches at a masters program at UCF.

Avelyn

Sorceror
That's not entirely true. While OSI was a subsidary of EA, Electronic Arts did not have a hand in Ultima Online at all. I was working for OSI when EA decided to "take over" operations of Ultima Online. The process took quite a while before they actually moved everything from Texas. There was most definately a HUGE change in the game, and the demeanor of the staff. I must agree that since dissolving the actual OSI entity (they still use the name, logo.. etc) EA has really done some desperate things to keep the game going, and it's not even a shell of what it once was. I knew quite a few of the devs, lead GMs.. etc from the old days... it was an amazing team. Thank God (or in this case is it our devs?) for good emulators!

tramper

Sorceror
a joke!hehe!
Ryan said:
Over the coming days and perhaps a week or two you will see the RunUO 2.0 transformation taking place. The RunUO Team has decided as a group that we need to really just open the community up and get the community involved in making RunUO better, after all that is the goal of “Open Source” right?

That said we’re ushering in an entirely new development approach, one that will allow you the RunUO user to assist in the development of RunUO. So what does this mean?

This means we are opening up our development repository to allow people to "check out" the latest version we are working on, grab the latest code and submit patches for any bugs you might find and in general have the ability to stay on-par with us in regards to where we are at in development.

RunUO has come a long way since its birth and we're very proud of it. RunUO 2.0 is not completely about code, or a new release but rather a complete rebuild of the entire community on which we have built RunUO. Our goal is to help the community rebuild what it was in the early days, bring back the glory of what RunUO was when everyone was a newbie and allow you, our users to participate in the active development of future releases of RunUO.

I've been watching the "official" UO development a lot lately and they are on their last leg. You can only take this game so far and what they have today is already a shadow of what UO was. We've done our best to give everyone what they want and here we are 4 years later, 3 successful shards and a huge development community under our belt.

We appreciate the support you've given us over the last few years and we know without you this could have never happened we know that and we thank you.

We're working as hard as we can to get the final code cleanups done to put it into the public repository to share with all of you. As soon as that is done we will update the site and let you know. I don’t particularly think it's going to be too terribly long, but I wouldn't hold your breath for this weekend ;) Personally I think the weather is too nice outside for us to stay in all weekend working on RunUO!

I know there will be a lot of questions and I know you'll want answers but I encourage you to sit back and enjoy the ride, this will be fun.

Tru

Knight
raulpica said:
He'z right, I fear.

There'z no RunUO2.0 anywhere, so it's a joke. :p
You people will try anything to get the devs to say something won't you?
It's silly things like that, that make people angry at people like you.
Sit and be patient like the rest of us.
When it's done....IT'LL BE OUT

mogbert

Wanderer
look at the big picture.

From my experiance with runuo. the software is great, really stable.. and i appreciate having the ability to work with it... but when they announce a release like this,. they are usually off by a week or 10 hhahahaha, but seriously they all have there own lifes, and there doing this on there own time. so we minaswell sit back and relax, when they get to releasing it, they will. im also making my own map, and 50 other things in the meentime. fill your time with that. by the time your done the map runuo 2.0.0 will be out.. works for me.

KnitePrince

Sorceror
I quit OSI/EA within a few months of the "takeover"..... as it was... anyhow, if you had a question, or a problem, you no longer got help, all you got was an automated message telling you.. "so sorry, we cant help you with that." In my opinion, the game suddenly became a "Big Business" they no longer cared about the little guy. The crowding at major hunting spots was horrible, and no one was willing to "take turns" anymore, they just came in and started killing, no matter who was waiting in line or already there. this is a problem with ANY online game, but one that was easy to deal with. Quit and go to an emulator. I played on wolfpack, sphere and a few others, then started my own sphere shard. That lasted almost a year before lightning took out the server. It was a few years before I got back into it again, and honestly, after all the work it took to run sphere, i wouldnt have started again, if not for RunUO. It was relatively simple to start up, though the new programing language was a hurdle, it was definitely worth it.
We held up the custom stuff for a while when I thought 2.0 was imminent, but now that they have delayed, we have gone back to upgrading and adding to 1.0 again. Were still having a ball, and so are the players. Thats what it is all about isnt it? WE have a platform to play on, so were playing, and like I said, having a ball. When 2.0 comes out, well then we will cross that bridge.
Personally, I dont care if it does take another year, after all, how can you honestly complain about something that costs YOU nothing and gives you so much??? Enjoy it, not many things this fun are free anymore.

Edit> who was it that said God kills a kitten every time you CAPITILIZE a MISCELANIOUS word in a CENTANCE? <End EDIT

Phantom

Knight
Avelyn said:
That's not entirely true. While OSI was a subsidary of EA, Electronic Arts did not have a hand in Ultima Online at all. I was working for OSI when EA decided to "take over" operations of Ultima Online. The process took quite a while before they actually moved everything from Texas. There was most definately a HUGE change in the game, and the demeanor of the staff. I must agree that since dissolving the actual OSI entity (they still use the name, logo.. etc) EA has really done some desperate things to keep the game going, and it's not even a shell of what it once was. I knew quite a few of the devs, lead GMs.. etc from the old days... it was an amazing team. Thank God (or in this case is it our devs?) for good emulators!

You can thank America's wonderful legal system for "fucking' over any chance for EA to bring back the old support system where they would get other players to help out. Anyways behind that the industry changed and EA changed its policy on how it ran many of its sub-studios in those days, and to be honest if they didn't UO might not even be still up because of the costs of having to run a huge office like that.

To anyone who complains about the delay in the release, do you really want less features because kririos wasn't able to submit all the code he worked on before his computer's cpu blew up?

Phantom

Knight
EA did not own OSI Phantom. This is where your facts are incorrect. EA used OSI to run the servers, and had them do a lot of dev work. EA has never OWNED OSI. They were sub-contracted. EA decided they could run UO on their own w/o using OSI and tried to save money by running it themselves.

You are incorrect this statement.

I read that EA owned OSI, they purchase it years before Ultima Online was released.

My source, is trust worthy, show me of proof of your statement since I am not the only one who has said that.

Avelyn

Sorceror
Phantom said:
You can thank America's wonderful legal system for "fucking' over any chance for EA to bring back the old support system where they would get other players to help out.

AMEN! I started out at OSI as a Shard Lead Counselor (SLC). It was one of the best run and most efficient custormer support programs I have ever run across.

Avelyn said:
AMEN! I started out at OSI as a Shard Lead Counselor (SLC). It was one of the best run and most efficient custormer support programs I have ever run across.
Well can you settle this matter? I know shard staff arent part of the business aspect, but who is right here? I am curious.

Phantom

Knight
Anti-Basic said:
Well can you settle this matter? I know shard staff arent part of the business aspect, but who is right here? I am curious.

What happen is that these free "workers" were told by some greedy lawyer that they should be paid.

Back before World Of Warcraft was released that was actually a FAQ on that subject, about the staff, and they specficly pointed out the legal reasons for not to do it.

mogbert

Wanderer
From what i heard

i thought i was because the original project leader for the ultima series, and ultima online left because of some sort of problems with EA games. that was pre-ultima 9 wasnt it, which would explain why ultima 9 was nothing like the rest of the series and sucked so bad. personally i liked 7 alot. but thats just me.