RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saves Folder deleting?

TSZoltar

Wanderer
ok i got that part now..and ran it with saves for 60 mins.I am STILL having the folder deleted!I dont get this?WTF is going on?

Players complain to me too that it takes 2 tries just to connect now,which wasn't that way before...something is whacked BIG time!

ANy help?Phantom,quantos,cashpath?

TSZoltar

Wanderer
ummm i don't remember all the ones i installed,but heres the ones i do remember:

World spawn beta 36
motd(non xml)
uauction
new monsters (sorry cant remember what he called it)
online command
vampires

thats about it.Maybe a few i'm missing,but thats prolly a good jist.I really don't believe it has to do with scripts,as i haven't installed anything new in over a week.And 2-3 days ago it was working fine till this happened.

I think it has something to do with saves getting corrupted somehow,but i am shitty at diagnostics.Trying though,wish i knew more :(

Quantos

Lord
Get rid of Bob Smart's World Spawn, it is buggy, and that could very well be the problem right there.

<edit>
It also WILL NOT work with beta 37, so you will have to fully spawn your world by hand at some point. You're better off to do it now.
</edit>

TSZoltar

Wanderer
damn!OK ty quantos.

There any world spawner that i could use?I can edit things and add soem new,but doing it all is going to be a bitch!Any scripts that you suggest to get me a start?

ALSO how do i take that out quantos?Just remove the script? and hit respawn in admin?

Quantos

Lord
I use the XMLSpawner, it's in Script Submissions, it's very configurable and easy to use. Using the export/import commands you can spawn fel and then export the spawns to a file, then import them to tram.

I don't recommend a pre-spawned world as it may not be what you want, plus they are usually very inaccurate.

<edit>
Most of them (all the ones that I've looked), at are overspawned, and therefore a resource pig. You also don't have to spawn the whole world at once, tell your players what's up, they'll appreciate the heads up, and probably give some good advice.
</edit>

<edit2>
Unfortunately you need to start over with a fresh world, you will want to copy in your saves directory to keep track of players and their items. You will get a lot of errors, but we can help you with those. You can go it alone :)
</edit2>

TSZoltar

Wanderer
ok,how do i take out my current pre-spawned shit?

Just remove the script?and use respawn or whatever in admin?Cuz i took out all the poeple where i didnt want them,all the shit that was in walls etc...took me awhile to do that too.But i got everything like i want it now...can't i just remove the script and keep whats spawned?

TSZoltar

Wanderer
ok,besides the script shit of taking out spawns,i changed the world saves to 90 minutes,and so far (crosses fingers)my saves folder is still there.

Is this a common problem?Is this something that i do not have setup right to save every 15 minutes,or 1/2 hr?

Its not a big issue,but i would like to have saves in 1/2 hr increments at least.

I STILL have not solved the problem of connecting to the shard.I myself,as well as anyone else is having to make 2 attempts to just connect.The first time it says (example: Valid crudentials for Zoltar) then just hangs till i dissconnect client,and when i re-try it goes through.

This did not start happening till i had the saves folder problem.

TSZoltar

Wanderer
yes.Havent gotten all my scripts in yet...but i added a shitload spawns,and notta.I have had my shard back up for what? 4 hrs now and its still there.But i am positive it will lose it again.

And ideas where to look and start diagnosing this?

I originally thought it was a pc problem,but i'm leaning more towards some kind of issue with the server.Maybe i don't have it configured properly or something...not sure!I restore from a backup,but thats a pain in the ass.

Quick question,which is better for the server puposes...

winxp
win 2000 advanced server

i have both.I used it on both before trying to see which is better,and finally said it didn't matter.I seen no differences in performance or resources.So i just ran it on winxp.

Only thing i can think of...maybe 2000 advanced server would be slightly better because isn't it made from nt technology?I know nt to be very stable,and light running.Again thining this may be more than a config prob...i'm not good at this though,so i'm poking ideas out there.

Quantos

Lord
Actually 2K and XP are both made from the NT kernel. I'm not sure who told you otherwise, but they were wrong.

smoksalot

Wanderer
TSZoltar said:
yes.Havent gotten all my scripts in yet...but i added a shitload spawns,and notta.I have had my shard back up for what? 4 hrs now and its still there.But i am positive it will lose it again.

And ideas where to look and start diagnosing this?

I originally thought it was a pc problem,but i'm leaning more towards some kind of issue with the server.Maybe i don't have it configured properly or something...not sure!I restore from a backup,but thats a pain in the ass.

Quick question,which is better for the server puposes...

winxp
win 2000 advanced server

i have both.I used it on both before trying to see which is better,and finally said it didn't matter.I seen no differences in performance or resources.So i just ran it on winxp.

Only thing i can think of...maybe 2000 advanced server would be slightly better because isn't it made from nt technology?I know nt to be very stable,and light running.Again thining this may be more than a config prob...i'm not good at this though,so i'm poking ideas out there.

Well you could always put a .bat folder on your desktop to save the saves folder to another directory and just have it set up on the schedule system that window provides, Maybe its marked as read only folder as well and for some reason its deleting it tryign to overright? not sure,

SV-randy

Wanderer
Yes im having the same problem too sometimes 2-3 times a day. Ill leave my comp on bc with my player base i cant keep shutting it down =/ and then ill come back everyone is iming me icqing me and all syaing it started saving they never finished i go to restart save folder is gone happened so many times i cant count. Running Win Xp 2.6 AMD 1024 ram =/

TSZoltar

Wanderer
well i gave up on the server...got to a point where saves fodler was deleting like god...20 or so times a day!

Somethings wrong,i dunno what and just tired of trying to mess with it.

TY for all the help that i got,you guys are knowlegable,and much appreciated.Maybe i'll play on one of your shards?

fasternu

Wanderer
this may be something for the core designers of run uo, but i got it to do it purposly, killed the power and it did it, and during 2 saves it never finished the saves so i had to restart the server at that time i found the saves folder or more correctly the accounts folder within the saves folder gone, it would appear that during both saves, (10 min apart for testing) it tried loading the accounts folder before it even finished the saves, possibly a timing glitch, but i was able to get it to do it 2 times in a row on purpose

owner/admin Blood Omen UO

siran

Sorceror
fasternu said:
this may be something for the core designers of run uo, but i got it to do it purposly, killed the power and it did it, and during 2 saves it never finished the saves so i had to restart the server at that time i found the saves folder or more correctly the accounts folder within the saves folder gone, it would appear that during both saves, (10 min apart for testing) it tried loading the accounts folder before it even finished the saves, possibly a timing glitch, but i was able to get it to do it 2 times in a row on purpose

owner/admin Blood Omen UO

I've been having this same problem too and wonder if there is any fix yet.

Worldsaves appear to hang, and then the save folder is gone. Users sometimes have to attempt log in 2 or 3 times.

slithers

Sorceror
siran said:
I've been having this same problem too and wonder if there is any fix yet.

Worldsaves appear to hang, and then the save folder is gone. Users sometimes have to attempt log in 2 or 3 times.

wow this is an old thread and to answer your question it is an intended feature. when the world save is corrupted it throws out your current save folder. the idea in lamens terms is that you restore from a backup. if it didnt throw out the corrupted save it would be copied over into your backups and then all your saves and backups when then become corrupted and your shard would be down. it does all this to save your shard. now if your in testing or setup then it came be annoying. but if your "live" and have a nice player base with advanced characters and some nice equipment and your save becomes corrupted and eventually your backups you would be really upset.