RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saves Folder deleting?

No version of windoze can interfere with your filesystem without you (or a script / program) ordering it.

Possible causes for folders disapearing:

- You draged it into another folder by mistake (small chance)
- You are running an old version of windows (nt4 for example) and a new backup program. This sometimes causes folders to be inaccesible or other weird things like the folder shows on the filesystem, but ain't there no more.
- Your saving process get's interfered by some other proces...either by RunUO or another program you are running. This would mean your computer is very bussy and has a bad attitude: (I'm bussy, do it yourself)
- Script is fucked up...would have been such a common complaint tho that it would have been fixed by now or at least known about.

To eliminate external reasons for this to happen: Install a clean version of windows (VMWare can do this easily for you, it creates a virtual PC in a large file, that will act as if it was a second computer) and reinstall all the stuff fresh from i-net (server side) that way it can only be RunUO if the error continues to show up.

There IS a performance difference between Windows 2000 and windows XP. But if you have a fast computer it realy doens't matter which one you use for the server.

Possible reasons to go with W2KAS are: You are going to run a web page / forum / ftp server for the shard as well from the same computer, you want to use multiple servers for your shard and thus load balancing on your network traffic.

Disadvantages are: If you ONLY run the server you can still play normal non network traffic games without much performance loss, this will be a little slower on the w2k server than it would be on XP.

Also, unless you know your way around Windows 2000, I wouldn't advice it to use for just shard hosting... you don't tow a VW Golf with a tank either. And since Windows XP has all the features that 2k has, with the exeption of specific server side stuff you don't need for shard hosting it would be time consuming overkill to get settled with 2k (unless you already work and configure it daily)

siran

Sorceror
slithers said:
wow this is an old thread and to answer your question it is an intended feature. when the world save is corrupted it throws out your current save folder. the idea in lamens terms is that you restore from a backup. if it didnt throw out the corrupted save it would be copied over into your backups and then all your saves and backups when then become corrupted and your shard would be down. it does all this to save your shard. now if your in testing or setup then it came be annoying. but if your "live" and have a nice player base with advanced characters and some nice equipment and your save becomes corrupted and eventually your backups you would be really upset.

ahhh. an explanation that makes sense. Thx

Avelyn

Sorceror
siran said:
ahhh. an explanation that makes sense. Thx

Yes, that makes sense, but it certainly doesn't sound like an ideal solution to the problem. If the server can decide if the save is corrupted and throw it out, why does it deem necessary to lock the shard? It doesn't happen very often to me, but it does take the shard down when it happens. This is a real nightmare if you are not there to restore a backup and restart it. I would think that if it's "smart" enough to determine whether or not the save was corrupt then it would throw that save out and try another resave instead of taking the shard down.

Avelyn said:
Yes, that makes sense, but it certainly doesn't sound like an ideal solution to the problem. If the server can decide if the save is corrupted and throw it out, why does it deem necessary to lock the shard? It doesn't happen very often to me, but it does take the shard down when it happens. This is a real nightmare if you are not there to restore a backup and restart it. I would think that if it's "smart" enough to determine whether or not the save was corrupt then it would throw that save out and try another resave instead of taking the shard down.

Problem is that it would take a shitload of code probably to diagnose the problem. There must be a couple of things that could go wrong...you don't want a broken leg bone treated like a rib by mistake I guess ;) I dunno tho..