RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skills Needed to Make a Game?

Macil

Sorceror
Skills Needed to Make a Game?

I realize games are made with multi-million dollar budgets and hundreds of people. But humor me, please.

Weather I modded another game design or started from scratch, what kinds of skills would I need along the lines of programming (which languages or what not) or schooling would I need if I were interested in such a thing?

I've always kind of had this crazy dream since I was little to make my own game, so like I said, just humor me. I'd really appreciate the input from you guys. =)

Tumeski

Sorceror
AB you should now that greatest innovations come from obsession to do it. You should hit your local library and rent some books about "Game programming". Read the basics about game creation and after that you can choose what you want to do.

C++ coders go with directx programs and its like the basic code that most of the stable good looking games are made with.

You can make games with everythign basically from C to VB (Visual Basic). Just read some books about game programing :)

Its real fun and i welcome you to our colorful bunch of game programmers. Plus! You get good salary if you decide to work as one someday. Good luck!

Sincerely, Tumeski!

Jeff

Lord
If you know C# or VB, you should try this XNA Creators Club Online - home XNA is easy to use and very fast and some very impressive hames have been made using it. C++ is the way to go if you have a huge budget, huge amounts of time, and want to make everything from scratch, otherwise XNA :)

Kitchen_

Sorceror
Jeff;769762 said:
If you know C# or VB, you should try this XNA Creators Club Online - home XNA is easy to use and very fast and some very impressive hames have been made using it. C++ is the way to go if you have a huge budget, huge amounts of time, and want to make everything from scratch, otherwise XNA :)

Yes, XNA is the best way to go to get almost instant results - but the only downside is redistributing a game that uses XNA is a pain.

Vorspire

Knight
This XNA has 0 games listed in the catalog under "Role Play".. there's a huge market gap right there... I think i'll fill it ;P

Macil

Sorceror
Hammerhand;769763 said:
You also need an imagination... the more warped, the better. ;)

Heh, I've got that. As far as money and time go, they're not a huge issue. I've definitely got the dedication I believe, and in my mind that's the first step.

Also, as Tumeski has mentioned, I am interested in seeing what programming could be like as a career. I've played with it long enough to know its something I like, and I'm definitely in the market for a job a little more stable than working for my in-laws... (Biggest mistake you could ever make - work for in-laws heh).

At any rate. It sounds like C++ would be the way to go then? What kind of degree would that be? And how much should I expect to pay in schooling - assuming I want to do this for a career as well as a primary hobby of mine. Should I go for an associates, bachelor, masters, etc?

Thanks for the input thus far, its much appreciated guys!

Kitchen_;769765 said:
Yes, XNA is the best way to go to get almost instant results - but the only downside is redistributing a game that uses XNA is a pain.
ummm why? (and asking about PC, not xbox, not sure if xbox users have to do anything special, but for pc all I've had to do to play xna stuff is install the xna refresh and update directx)

Jeff

Lord
Kitchen_;769765 said:

are you kidding me? its like a 2 mb download :/ plus xna is awesome cause its a direct port to xbox 360.

Quick Details
File Name: xnafx20_redist.msi
Version: 2.0
Date Published: 12/13/2007
Language: English
Download Size: 2.1 MB

Kitchen_

Sorceror
Anti-Basic;769804 said:
ummm why? (and asking about PC, not xbox, not sure if xbox users have to do anything special, but for pc all I've had to do to play xna stuff is install the xna refresh and update directx)

DirectX, XNA library, and .NET Framework makes it a pain to redistribute.

Also, I'm in no way saying that XNA is bad, I was just letting him know one of its downsides (I use it too !)

Kitchen_;769810 said:
Not at all. Especially since most people using it would be distributing it via the web, all they have to do is include hyper links to all of the above on the same page they have the game's download link. And .net is included in windows update now, though I think 3.0 is an optional one instead of one that pops up for express.

If you really want to baby them, you can incorporate them into the installer for the game (or if its illegal to include them, just have a dialog box that says "this requires XNA, would you like to download and install that now?" and if they click yes, open their browser to the download page for it.

Jeff

Lord
Kitchen_;769810 said:

Also, I'm in no way saying that XNA is bad, I was just letting him know one of its downsides (I use it too !)

you can include them all into the installer, so your point is unfortunately invalid

skull77

Wanderer
Macil;769706 said:
I realize games are made with multi-million dollar budgets and hundreds of people. But humor me, please.

Weather I modded another game design or started from scratch, what kinds of skills would I need along the lines of programming (which languages or what not) or schooling would I need if I were interested in such a thing?

I've always kind of had this crazy dream since I was little to make my own game, so like I said, just humor me. I'd really appreciate the input from you guys. =)

Uhm....around 4 years of college for C programming, and 2-4 for graphic design.

Otherwise, use some noob engine and make a crap game.

Jeff

Lord
skull77;769832 said:
Uhm....around 4 years of college for C programming, and 2-4 for graphic design.

Otherwise, use some noob engine and make a crap game.

wow arent you encouraging... way to be a real downer