RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skills Needed to Make a Game?

Vorspire

Knight
25mb is nothing these days, unless you're a poor 56k dial-up user.. i see no problem. Framework updates are mandatory now and a lot of programs run on the Framework platform.

Jeff

Lord
Suil Ban;770093 said:
Even if it took one click, it'd still be a turn-off for both developers and end users. I know I wouldn't want to install 25MB in frameworks to play a Bejeweled clone.

its not 25mb its 2mb

skull77

Wanderer
Jeff;769836 said:
wow arent you encouraging... way to be a real downer

Well what I said is true. I mean there are some decent engines out there like bigworld and heroengine, but they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Also, the reason you got denied because you did not have a bachelors is because they assumed you knew next to nothing about programming. Having a bachelor shows you have knowledge of some of the finer points of the programming language you studied, as well as things you may never come across from self-taught programming.

Kitchen_;770068 said:
Are you speaking from experience or speculation?

Code:
(NSIS)

; Post Install Tasks
Section -Prerequisites
  SetOutPath $INSTDIR\redist
  MessageBox MB_YESNO "Install XNA?" /SD IDYES IDNO endXNA
    File "..\redist\xnafx20_redist.msi"
    ExecWait '"msiexec" /i "$INSTDIR\redist\xnafx20_redist.msi"
    Goto endXNA
  endXNA:
SectionEnd

very short google search to find the example, a few seconds to replace the example with xna, so easy a caveman can do it. Technically more than 2 seconds, but if I had a bunch of games to distribute that needed it, I could just copy and paste for each one, which would take, by my estimation, exactly 2 seconds. I win.

Soooo painful tbchwy. I might just start making Installers for all of Jeff's projects just because I like "pain".

Suil Ban;770100 said:
It's not a lot of space, but it's a lot of bulk when you're downloading a 3MB game. I can't think of anything I use regularly that isn't gaming-related or a program I've written myself that utilizes the .NET framework.
this isn't 1995, its not a lot space or bandwidth at all, you're worse than kiwi and zipping his 4 meg snes roms.

Kitchen_;770112 said:
That's assuming they have .NET and DirectX.

both are also small, and both are included in windows update (hell SP2 has .NET 1.0 installed already)

Jeff

Lord
skull77;770115 said:
Well what I said is true. I mean there are some decent engines out there like bigworld and heroengine, but they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Wrong there are a ton of games coming out on xbox arcade written by everyday joes like you and I and they cost nearly nothing to make, xna has made this easy to do and possible for anyone.
skull77;770115 said:
Also, the reason you got denied because you did not have a bachelors is because they assumed you knew next to nothing about programming. Having a bachelor shows you have knowledge of some of the finer points of the programming language you studied, as well as things you may never come across from self-taught programming.

Isnt that what i said..... ?

Vorspire

Knight
The best-selling X-Box 360 game is Geometry Wars, with over 200 million purchases through X-Box Live arcade.. It's extremely simple, but it hit the market like Space Invaders.

Jeff

Lord
Vorspire;770145 said:
The best-selling X-Box 360 game is Geometry Wars, with over 200 million purchases through X-Box Live arcade.. It's extremely simple, but it hit the market like Space Invaders.

That game is incredibly hard to re-create tbh, the design, concept, gameplay are all easy, but the techniques they used are incredible.

Vorspire

Knight
Jeff;770148 said:
That game is incredibly hard to re-create tbh, the design, concept, gameplay are all easy, but the techniques they used are incredible.

I totally agree, someone ripped it and ported it to PC and modified it a little so that it actually shows an arrow in the direction you are going to shoot lol.

Jeff

Lord
Vorspire;770152 said:
I totally agree, someone ripped it and ported it to PC and modified it a little so that it actually shows an arrow in the direction you are going to shoot lol.

That was made by the same company.

Johabius

Knight
Don't forget the orangutan. All programmers should be required to own or at least rent an orangutan while they program.

I guess an orangutan isn't really a skill, but you still should have one around. Orangutans make everything more interesting.