RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something for all of you to chew on...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Something for all of you to chew on...

Today I was perusing slashdot.org as I do once or twice a week and I read an article about "Linux Snobs" stopping the adoption of Linux in corporate environments... I must say the article in question was right on the money. Of course you want to know how does that become newsworthy at RunUO?

Well in particular one quote I read made me think about RunUO:

"Yes, it is true that the answers to your questions are out there...Linux does have copious documentation. But the fact of the matter is that a simple answer to a simple question can do much more than save the newbie hours of combing through MAN pages...it can also foster the sense of community that is the very lifeblood of Linux."

This quote is exactly the disease the RunUO community suffers from. It's true that here on these forums 99% of the questions have probably been answered. While we dont have copious amounts of documentation we have a very large and very heavily used forum where people answer questions on a daily basis. Usually the information we need is as close as hitting the search button.

The problem is we have a lot of users who are RunUO Snobs (Example: Phantom) that wont answer simple questions and tell 'newbies' to go read the forums, search the forums or read the documentation. Its ridiculous and it will be the downfall of further adoption of RunUO and will drive away more members of our community than it already has. A few of the development team members spoke recently and this kind of behavior will no longer be tolerated... from anyone.

If someone asks a question and you know the answer... answer the damn question. Answering the question is the best thing you can do for RunUO and like the person who wrote the quote driving this update said, "...it can also foster the sense of community that is the very lifeblood of..." RunUO.

Things are changing around here if you haven't already noticed. If you dont get on board you should probably get out.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
By the way in the future when you see someone snobbing around the forums I implore you to post a link to this thread to remind them.

Ravenal

Knight
I am glad to see something is changing it has been a good thing in fact I almost want to rename awakenlands to who I am from all over so people know who i am heh...Since everyone from OrBSydia knows who I am as Ravenal heh... maybe it may be a simple change for Ryan for me but heh hes got enough on his own plans...

Once again I can finally return to RunUO and support the community as I was before... I am looking forward to help those who are not so familuar with the .NET Framework 2.0 when RunUO 2.0 comes out =)

im glad this is happening, as being a victim of it a few times even useless flameing for trying to help i found it rediculous however i dont take much to heart luckily cause life goes on.

but its good to see some action being taken for those who always post

1.) search for it
2.) try it
3.) then post with errors

yes some ppl need to do a little searching so they can try to learn it first hand but sometimes ppl just want a little kick in the butt to get them started

BlackKnight

Wanderer
Well I would say it's about time you made some changes Ryan. I for one would like to have a peaceful forum. Members must remember at one time we were all newbies. It's glad to see these changes. This was the main reason I would not post on these forums. Just look at my post count. :D If I could help I would just pm than and give them my Icq.

penndragon

Sorceror
Thank you.......

I would like to say thank you for this post and the no "snob" attitude. There are many times that I have had questions that I couldn't find an answer for in the forums and I was afraid to ask, so I just forgot about the change I wanted to make or problem I wanted to fix and went on. I have learned a bit of C# but feel I could have learned much more if I hadn't been afraid to ask.
So again, Thank you.

*bows to Ryan* WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!! :D

Thank You for posting that article. Although I have learned alot from people telling me that. I appreciate it all and Thank all for that. If I know the answer to a problem I am telling the person I can careless if someone thinks I am crazy for telling them and not letting them learn, but I have a greater sense of someone learning something also. If you tell them the answer to their problem then they will see whats wrong and "IF" they have that problem again then hopefully they will remember the problem from before and know how to fix it. Thank You all for everything and look forward to 2.0

steeldarkness

Sorceror
Hell Yeah!

You know I have learned alot bout scripting from this community and I have never posted anything cause of feeling like a newb. The elitess of this group make it feel as if we all are inferior so therefor I never posted. I hope this will change and I will be watching to see if so. Thank you Ryan for standing up for the little guy.

p.s.
RunUO Still Rocks

Steeldarkness
Lurking god

steeldarkness

Sorceror
You know I have learned alot bout scripting from this community and I have never posted anything cause of feeling like a newb. The elitess of this group make it feel as if we all are inferior so therefor I never posted. I hope this will change and I will be watching to see if so. Thank you Ryan for standing up for the little guy.

p.s.
RunUO Still Rocks

Steeldarkness
Lurking god

crackrat

Wanderer
AMEN to this. i know personally of several close friends that will most likely return to this community if given the chance to ask an occasional question without "ducking" when posting. Even the most advanced scripters we have in this community need to ask simple questions on occasion. I know personaly theres been times where ive searched for an answer not to find it and was scared to ask due to what might happen if I did. sometimes all of us draw a blank and need that little piece of the puzzle thats missing.

Lubomir

Wanderer
Good Change

I have only posted a couple of questions and got quick and very helpful responses.

But, in reading the forums while looking for specific information I have seen other, new people who have a hard time using the search, not being given any guidance at all. Not even a possible search phrase to use.

Thank you for the change,

Tanya1965

Wanderer
Yayy

Climbs out of the woodwork, thank you, normally I hide in the shadows or stealth a question to dat99 or David via pm's. *Is Free To Ask At Last*

seltor

Sorceror
I am glad things are going to be looked at differently in the future. I quit helping out as well as quit asking for help for quite a while for this exact reason. Just say please and thank you and everyone will get along a lot better :) Thanks for setting everyone straight Ryan. I can't wait to give 2.0 a good stern test run.

Liacs

Sorceror
Thank you so much Ryan for publishing this... I dared to ask some questions here and also suffered some veeeery nice answers, but what the heck, I am still around... won't be scared away by some wiseguys ;)
But as said before, I also will ask more (and also learn more) now that I know that snobby answers are not appreciated here.
I have also seen people been scared away by some people (whose nicks we all know :D) with even rude answers just because they just felt they can rumble along a bit on these forums. Thanks for putting so much effort and time and nerves into this community!

Lia
(who knows a little more about C# than before RunUO :cool: )

*comes back from a trip to the support forums* Yay, your article seems to work like a charm! Never seen it so peaceful here :)