RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something for all of you to chew on...

Mideon

Page
Great post, I totally agree. Community is the lifeblood of RunUO. The community has been slowly improving though which is great to see, if it continues to improve in this respect, no one will fear to ask questions again!

More minds solve more problems :D

Cheers.

Ryan,

What you said is something that was needed years ago, but I applaud you in your awearness to this subject and not let it go un-noticed. I have been around along time, this is a new user name but I am a huge fan of this emulator and Thank you all that were responsible for its exsistance. When I first came to the forums it seemed friendly enuff till I was attacked by those un-named. It left a very sour taste in my mouth and have to say that it almost made me leave. I am not a person that gives up so I have lingured around in hopes of a day where RunUO will be a place where people can share and discuss their ideas on this very subject. To help those that were in our own shoes not to long ago. So now that you opened the gates to a better community, I'll definatly start doing my part in spreading the knowledge that so many want to learn. Thanks again Ryan, you made my day.

Æ

Sunshine

Wanderer
just for clarification. I have heard some say to me, He has always said that but it still happend {referring to you feelings on telling players to look for things ect},,, does this post mean it is now set and even mods will follow this?

Ryan said:
If someone asks a question and you know the answer... answer the damn question.

I just applaud your stand and I guess fear makes me double check. I just hated being flamed because I did not know C#..

Thank you again Ryan

colette

Wanderer
Many Thanks!

Ryan ,as a fairly new person here, I try to find my way around this site, also using search. I have asked a couple questions but to date I have had no answer. So thanks again for your thoughtfulness on this matter! :)

Jadis

Wanderer
This might sound repetitive, but I am one of those people who stopped reading and offering help on these forums because of being flamed. I think it's been about 5 months I've read nothing else then the announcements forum.

I enjoyed helping people with "easy" problems and I learned a lot helping people with their projects. But one too many times I was told that I should not be helping because it was encouraging stupid questions.

So hurray for this new policy.

siran

Sorceror
Sunshine said:
Ryan said:

If someone asks a question and you know the answer... answer the damn question.

And the corollary would be.....if you don't know the answer, don't post anything.

Well let me see if i can sum is up:

First to Rayn thank u very much for your post hpoe this gets through to everyone here.

I love the game so i thought i would try and learn something new. Look im new here and i have some probs im tryin to work around a Comp and A.D.D and to me this seems hard, not evryone here is a computer wiz or pure guines but at lest i can say this im willing to learn.
I'm a hands on kind of person, some learn better if walked through it a few times on how to put stuff together and then in turn they are able to help others, sorry that ive bother anyone here or have offened anyone for asking for help with my ideas, ive had some really good ideas. Some people make you feel like an @$$hole for asking the questions in the first place ( remeber when you first started doing this and i dont mean on this site i mean when you first started learning weatheri t was from a school or someone else u probly had some help along the way)

Another note for you: some people start out earlly tryin to learn like my 12 year old who has ask some of my questions, its bad when someone is tryin but gets no reply or an @$$hole treatment and is tryin to make new freinds to learn from. or kids learn from what they see and hear just remeber that they vist here to and they are tryin to learn as well and we all are still learning no matter how old we get too.

So in closing not everyone here is this way and sorry for the colorfull medifors but this has just been really bugging me for a while and Great job to all that have compiled some really great Scripts on this site

Lord Dio

Sorceror
This is an issue that should have been addressed from the start. As now I fear that past occurences of this behavior may have damaged the credibility and reputation of the RunUO community irreparably. Hats off for taking the stand however.

[analogy]
You don't take a small child to the park and show him a swing set for the first time and when he asks, "wow! i want to do that! how does it work?", You don't respond to them, "figure it out dumbass..." or, "if you don't know how, don't even try..."
[/analogy]

I think the vets would do well and would receive abundant praise if they were instead to take the role of the teacher and enlighten the masses for the greater good. However, I don't believe that they should also simply "do the work" for everyone. Hints, advice, and clear cut instructions make a better case for a harmonious existence than ridicule and spite.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

Rift

Wanderer
Well the idealogy sounds good and if it really does come to pass perhaps I'll start loggin on more often but I will stick with a wait and see attitude too many things forced me away from here and if changes come to pass maybe my experience be more enjoyable in future.

admnmer

Wanderer
i think that is the best thing i heard on runuo i stop comeing here because all you see is people puting down the new guys. i guess that makes them feal better im not a punk kid that just wanted to start a shard because i could and was power hungry. i took a shard up into 120+ votes then closed it down and opened a new one because we was useing a old client and i wanted to use a updated one yes i lost 100 votes because i started freash and took the time to get the art added right ( thank you Tannis your the best ) anyway enought i think runuo would be a lot better if the people was alot nicer and get rid of all the post counters that just post negitive stuff to be seen

People like phantom are what drove me to remove all of my custom scripts and delete as many of my threads and posts as I could and just remove myself from this community for a while. It took me a few months before I decided to come back here but not like before I stopped sharing my scripts here and didnt post much but now I am begining to post more often. I still wont share my scripts here lol.

This thread makes me feel better though maybe once things change I will start sharing my scripts here again and start posting more and giving support where I can.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
evil lord kirby said:
People like phantom are what drove me to remove all of my custom scripts and delete as many of my threads and posts as I could and just remove myself from this community for a while. It took me a few months before I decided to come back here but not like before I stopped sharing my scripts here and didnt post much but now I am begining to post more often. I still wont share my scripts here lol.

This thread makes me feel better though maybe once things change I will start sharing my scripts here again and start posting more and giving support where I can.

Taking your ball and going home is any different right...?

*shakes head*

How mistaken some of you are.

I remember posting about this exact issue a while back. I got the same responses that have been generally expressed in this thread.

There was no change last time.

Liacs

Sorceror
I would never think about taking my stuff out of the forum, that is a little too much action in answer to the 'snobby behaviour', but you have to understand, Ryan, that not doing anything against these scary posts of Phantom and co. is helping them in a way...
I don't want to accuse you of something, nor the other moderators here, but you gave those people the platform and chance to be able fo flame...
...and *clears throat*... in my opinion Phantom was banned much too late!

Ayrius

Wanderer
That´s a good thing to see. :)
The foruns are here to help the new people, and not to scold them. Not everyone knows about the "search old posts".
I hope the things are changing for good.

bzk90

Lord
Mortis said:
With the new community spirit here I also may start reapearing on these forums.

I was getting tired of the way things were going. I was also very busy in real life and had litle time to script or help people.

<div id="offtopic">
OMG MORTIS YOUR ALIVE!!! message me so we can talk again :)
</div>

<div id="ontopic">
I think its about time something like this was posted, whether or not anything changes is still to be seen but we can all hope.
</div>

Final Realms

Wanderer
Ryan said it all. Its frustrating for newcomers and even established scripters to get nothing in the way of help except for a post telling them to search the forums.

Its is obvious they need to know they should also post a crash log or all the information about what they want to do, or have done to get there, but none the less there is allways a bit of info everyone knows that can be given right of the bat.

Dont mind me though.. Im just coasting along until RunUO 2.0 rolls out.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I try to be nice :-\. Sometimes I get carried away...

TheOutkastDev said:
I remember posting about this exact issue a while back. I got the same responses that have been generally expressed in this thread.

There was no change last time.

Ravenal

Knight
its pretty simple heh.. most people would learn to search first before posting questions for directions and such... Also instead telling people to search and such try to help them by guiding them if you don't know what to do to help them then its better to let someone else help :)

bzk90

Lord
Ayrius said:
That´s a good thing to see. :)
The foruns are here to help the new people, and not to scold them. Not everyone knows about the "search old posts".
I hope the things are changing for good.
I dont know where everyone gets the idea that people are being told to go search. From my experiences Iv'e seen very few posts where someone says "search for it" without also giving the thread starter something useful.

The simple fact is that searching helps them get their answer faster without having to wait for information that is
A. could be inaccurate/incomplete
B. already available
by telling them to search they know to do it the next time. Is it wrong to JUST say "go search", of course but I havent seen such a post in several months upwards to a year.