RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something for all of you to chew on...

Sunshine

Wanderer
Anvil said:
I find this myself alot of times where links are dead or no longer work (older threads) because of the way the forums were changed/moved.

I found that too so I investigated and sometimes if you add s to forums the link will work..example is this thread

notice this is a newer post so the s in in forums
http://www.runuo.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=505844

older threads will be like this

http://www.runuo.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=505844

When I find a link that does not work I try adding the S and alot of times that is all I needed to do..

And I agree with helping but sometimes the thing they wantmight take 30 mins to type but in the FAQ there is step by step how to change or alter certain things..so I often give the link but I make sure it works properly too ..nods

Thanks for helping make run uo a better place and reminding us sometimes links do not work

jaynigs

Wanderer
evil lord kirby said:
you miss my point here by lowering my rep and making that reply it completely contradicts what this thread was started about in the first place thus I see it as nothing will ever change here.

I think the point of this thread was long gone, i dont understand how i have lowered your rep? :confused: - btw i gave you positive karma to cheer you up :)

Anyway, apologies if you misinterpreted my post, i just dont see how this thread turned into a debate as to why you are posting scripts or not..

jaynigs said:
I think the point of this thread was long gone, i dont understand how i have lowered your rep? :confused: - btw i gave you positive karma to cheer you up :)

Anyway, apologies if you misinterpreted my post, i just dont see how this thread turned into a debate as to why you are posting scripts or not..

Nay wasnt you that lowered my rep but thanks for adding to it. It was ryan that lowered it and the issue is not just about this thread...

Dagor

Wanderer
I can't tell you how pleased I am to hear this!

I tinkered around with RunUO a couple of years ago and was extremely impressed with the quality and effort that had gone into the project. The one thing that really turned me off was when I visited the forums to get help and saw one or two people treating "newbs" like shit. It really gave a bad name to the ENTIRE RunUO project. That's partly why I abandoned my server back then and haven't been back here until just recently. I hope those jerks are no longer welcome here, because I'm eagerly waiting for 2.0 to get my server back up and running :D

Thanks again, Ryan, and everyone on the RunUO team for your hard work and dedication to us "newbs". :)

Sunshine

Wanderer
Welcome back it is nice to have you back with us. We noobies need all the troops we can gather. We can all learn together and never feel alone..:)

mikial

Sorceror
Way To Go!

I'm glad to have read this I Really enjoy using the RunUo product and appriciate all the hard work, I even tried to help by posting a few times things I thought were interesting only to feel like it wasnt worthy enough by the few elite. Now with this It will make new people feel like Yeah we can contribute and not be intimidated. Thank You Ryan!

Tintamar

Sorceror
I hope people read this and start answering peoples questions insted of running them around, I cant count how many times Ive searched for something and found 50 posts and everyone of them doesnt give an answer. Ive also been crabbed at by people for just coming out and giving the answer to someone insted of making them spend hours searching, received negative karma for giving answers too...

Tintamar said:
I hope people read this and start answering peoples questions insted of running them around, I cant count how many times Ive searched for something and found 50 posts and everyone of them doesnt give an answer. Ive also been crabbed at by people for just coming out and giving the answer to someone insted of making them spend hours searching, received negative karma for giving answers too...

I know what you mean, isn't that insane.

Tintamar said:

In my opinion if someone wants to help and give answers then there shouldn't be a problem, they are the one typing out the answers and helping....If I know the answer to a problem I'll tell them and not make them go search for it...Why waste time....If we all would remember when we first started out and all the questions we had or confusion over something and someone would take their time helping was always appriciated by me anyway...

And we have to remember if we help others, then chances are they will also learn to help when they learn things and how it runs....

Everyone has their own style of helping or posting and not helping....My style is helping others, because thats what this community is all about to me..;)

Deimos said:
I agree

One of the main problems I faced was the attitude of people like Phantom, it really turned me off posting here, hence I haven't posted in a while.
Although I digress, on the other hand, I've learnt more about Runuo now i've not asked so many questions, but it IS off putting to not know an answer to something and outright fear posting a question because of the responses it gets.

Ryan, it might be worth adding the Webtemplates addon to the forum from VBulletin.org, you can add editable html pages with guides on various things, plus you can assign "Editors" (Staff) to is so they can update/edit whenever they want.

Well you can't let someone chase you off the forum, because you have as much right to post and ask questions or answer questions as anyone else does here....:)

Everyone has a different style in posting, you just basically ignore getting in flame wars and play by the rules...I truely believe "Respecting" others in their opinion whether I believe what they post or not, its their opinion...So, I try really hard not to get in flame wars with people I disagree with on here, which is very few...Your a member of this community as is anyone else and you deserver to post as anyone else does...;)

The ones that break the rules the Mods will handle, they always do...:)

Lucifer TOP

Wanderer
Oh thanks to the few people who added the -54 to my rep for speaking up an stating a few facts about what is going on in some of these threads.

Do I need to say more (-54), It proves my point without saying.

Oh just for the fun of it, this was one of the reason given for hacking my rep. "I didn't like your negetive comments in the post on this thread"

I was with the understanding that the rep comment section was reserved for someone to either give good or bad points based on if your posting good or bad scripts as well as if your starting flaming wars. If I would have known I was going to get rep. flamed in a general forum area I wouldn't have posted here at all.

Now that I have made this comment here, lets go an rep flame the heck out of me now.

-54 is weak lets go for -200 or better. I want to see how high the counter can go.

Thanks,
Lucifer
:cool:

Virgil

Wanderer
Nice

I left for a while as well thinking many on the boards were a bit on the snoob side.. Phantom was one that came to mind. I don't see any reason why if you don't want to help, or can't help, or feel someone's question is a little on the basic side, just don't reply. A place like this should make you feel welcome for all types, those with basic knowledge and those with advanced knowledge. Learning should be enjoyable and not something to be embarrased about. The more knowledge another can discover the more they can offer to the community. Hopefully I'll have some scripts to share again, I left for a while but will return.

Talrol

Wanderer
I quit using these forums about 1 year ago due to the way that many people (one in particular) replied to requests for help and the confrontations that were created when I would attempt to help someone with a question. I've posted several scripts in the script submissions some of which were downloaded quite a bit. Due to the way I (and others) were treated on these forums I decided to provide support only for myself and close friends through email or instant messaging and quit providing support for new users of the scripts that I uploaded here.

I see now that the main person whom I had many run ins with is no longer a part of this community so as soon as RunUO 2.0 is released I will revise and update my scripts and re-release them and perhaps even offer up some additional scripts. If time permits I may even help others with coding questions. My only hope is that Ryan is deadly serious about making this community friendly again, and so long as it is then I would be happy to rejoin it.

Phantom

Knight
Lucifer TOP said:
I was with the understanding that the rep comment section was reserved for someone to either give good or bad points based on if your posting good or bad scripts as well as if your starting flaming wars. If I would have known I was going to get rep. flamed in a general forum area I wouldn't have posted here at all.

You can give people negative or postive karma on any post you agree or disagree with. Thats the purpose of the karma system, a person with negative karma would say things that the majority of people disagree with. On the other side you have postive karama people who most people agree with.

The reputation system has NEVER only been to approve or disapprove of scripts, infact thats the one thing it should NOT be used for.

Virgil said:
I left for a while as well thinking many on the boards were a bit on the snoob side.. Phantom was one that came to mind. I don't see any reason why if you don't want to help, or can't help, or feel someone's question is a little on the basic side, just don't reply. A place like this should make you feel welcome for all types, those with basic knowledge and those with advanced knowledge. Learning should be enjoyable and not something to be embarrased about. The more knowledge another can discover the more they can offer to the community. Hopefully I'll have some scripts to share again, I left for a while but will return.

You shouldn't allow any one person or any group of people, effect your involvement in this community. I try to answer people's questions when I know the answer, if I don't know the answer I ask for information that can allow me to figure it out. If people do not provide me that information I cannot help them, its not that I choose to not provide them with an answer. I am sure most people who know what they are doing at least, who attempt to help other people, try to do their best. Just because I or anyone choose to help people in a different way, doesn't mean its the incorrect way, and we should not be judged on what we did in the past.

Talrol said:
I quit using these forums about 1 year ago due to the way that many people (one in particular) replied to requests for help and the confrontations that were created when I would attempt to help someone with a question. I've posted several scripts in the script submissions some of which were downloaded quite a bit. Due to the way I (and others) were treated on these forums I decided to provide support only for myself and close friends through email or instant messaging and quit providing support for new users of the scripts that I uploaded here.

I see now that the main person whom I had many run ins with is no longer a part of this community so as soon as RunUO 2.0 is released I will revise and update my scripts and re-release them and perhaps even offer up some additional scripts. If time permits I may even help others with coding questions. My only hope is that Ryan is deadly serious about making this community friendly again, and so long as it is then I would be happy to rejoin it.

You shouldn't allow anyone to force you to not support a community you believe in. Of course my feeling is that, if you believed in your abilities, you would have choosen to support your scripts anyways. The actions of one man, cannot be blamed for your choice not to leave this community or even not be part of it.

The reputation system has NEVER only been to approve or disapprove of scripts, infact thats the one thing it should NOT be used for

Agreed, the karma system should never be used to approve or dissaprove a script.

However, the "Rate this Thread" option can be used to show your support for a script thread, since it can only be positive (1-5 stars), and shows your appreciation for the script itself, not the people who may reply in thread. The rating is also viewable when browsing the forum that thread is in, allowing people to easily identify the truly outstanding scripts (altho there are many really awesome ones without any stars)

Talrol

Wanderer
You are correct Phantom, but there were times when it seemed that every post I made to help someone was contradicted by someone else which gets very frustrating since I never give advice on something that I have not tested first, frankly I just got tired of dealing with it and felt that the community was going down hill.

Perhaps things will change now, perhaps not, but I feel that anything worth while deserves a second chance, so I am willing to put the past behind and see how things go this time.

Phantom

Knight
Talrol said:
You are correct Phantom, but there were times when it seemed that every post I made to help someone was contradicted by someone else which gets very frustrating since I never give advice on something that I have not tested first, frankly I just got tired of dealing with it and felt that the community was going down hill.

Perhaps things will change now, perhaps not, but I feel that anything worth while deserves a second chance, so I am willing to put the past behind and see how things go this time.

You don't think I get tired of people making bitch fests threads about me? Saying that I don't help people yet it would take me a year to list the people I have indeed helped?

I don't let it stop me from helping the next person, because I know the person who is bitching about me, won't be around because he isn't dedecated to this community.