RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something for all of you to chew on...

Phantom

Knight
Nozgo1 said:
I called TBS, they gave that a rating of 5, yep....its very funny...

I don't understand why everyone thinks its funny, its the truth, I didn't know off hand till I did a search myself.

Draegen

Sorceror
Oh i like this thread thank god no more snobs :p

If some one is being a snob in a reply to your ask a question post just ignore them and wait for some one to reply to your question, dont rely back to the snob make syou look as bad as him. if second person posts a snobby comment contact a mod tell them and im sure the mods will take care of both snobs posts.

jorisan

Wanderer
Killing them with Kindness

Most Snobs are just showing off how smart they want us to think they are. But, in reality, they have no idea how smart everyone else is. So, on a scale of 1 to 10 our snobs may only be a 5. Most people want to find the answer to a question in the shortest amount of time possible. I have searched for things and never found the answer. Others have come very easy. It all depends on the question and what our expectations are at that moment. So, just smile, and do your best. The answer is out there, either someone will respsond to your needs, or your search will be fruitful. Hope you have a great time playing with us.:)

Thank You

I tried to use runuo a couple of years ago to create my own shard, I have some, but limited knowledge and experience scripting therefore I had a lot of questions. Every question I asked was answered with "search the forums" and usually followed by reprehensible language, and tone. Which soon forced me to give up. Yes, I spent hours searching for the answers, but when I did, most of the answers came close, but were not exactly what I needed. I have decided to try again, and thanks to this post I am optimistic that I may get the answers and help I need to run a sucessful shard, and hopefully not get run off again. Thank you so much. --Christi Nichols

Viago

Knight
Ryan said:
If someone asks a question and you know the answer... answer the damn question.

dont meen to be an ass, but how do you know if somone does know or dont know? not many people who do read the help area...untill they ask for help...lol.

anyways good point, even atempting to help somone is good to, by atemopt i meen helping them out even if you are iffy on it like they are, you know, working your way to fealing her up.......i meen uh...

Viago

Knight
i gatherd that. but majority of the comm is noobs, not like thats a bad thing. having docs and info for em helps, however not many read it, nor is having the resourses meen that there should not be any support. having a combination is key. guess some of us have to suck it up, and lighten up (on both sides of the help factor) lets face it if you dont help somone, and they dont know how to do something, and lets say you leave, or some peps leave that know the answer (that do answer) well....you see my point....

Boulder

Sorceror
learning

i im a noob know very little about scriping leaning more and more about editing from the post here.
Im sure alot of bigginers search the formum
Dont know of otheres but i also keep notes and it is very nice when a scriptor give you help instead of flaming you for not know its been posted
its easy to miss a post

wildsid

Wanderer
wow didnt see that comeing

Ryan said:
Today I was perusing slashdot.org as I do once or twice a week and I read an article about "Linux Snobs" stopping the adoption of Linux in corporate environments... I must say the article in question was right on the money. Of course you want to know how does that become newsworthy at RunUO?

Well in particular one quote I read made me think about RunUO:

"Yes, it is true that the answers to your questions are out there...Linux does have copious documentation. But the fact of the matter is that a simple answer to a simple question can do much more than save the newbie hours of combing through MAN pages...it can also foster the sense of community that is the very lifeblood of Linux."

This quote is exactly the disease the RunUO community suffers from. It's true that here on these forums 99% of the questions have probably been answered. While we dont have copious amounts of documentation we have a very large and very heavily used forum where people answer questions on a daily basis. Usually the information we need is as close as hitting the search button.

The problem is we have a lot of users who are RunUO Snobs (Example: Phantom) that wont answer simple questions and tell 'newbies' to go read the forums, search the forums or read the documentation. Its ridiculous and it will be the downfall of further adoption of RunUO and will drive away more members of our community than it already has. A few of the development team members spoke recently and this kind of behavior will no longer be tolerated... from anyone.

If someone asks a question and you know the answer... answer the damn question. Answering the question is the best thing you can do for RunUO and like the person who wrote the quote driving this update said, "...it can also foster the sense of community that is the very lifeblood of..." RunUO.

Things are changing around here if you haven't already noticed. If you dont get on board you should probably get out.

wow i will be actuley able to ask things like whare dose the constructable end

and not get totel flamed for ??????

i have read the forums for a long time and post varey littel do to the constant
onslaught i see of others forasking questions i my self have had

ty varey much Ryan

BillyTheKid

Wanderer
Sooo True !

Well im really a basic scriptor and like to play with things. I am not stupid, just i never learned that but im very good at understanding things. Sometimes you ask a question and the answer you get is: search the forum. In my mind i was thinking like "he take me for a dumb". if you search the forum and get the answer you want, you instantly get your answer... so why someone would post to get an answer ONLY when another one would (if so) like to answer. Most of us doesnt have time to waist, we work in real life and for me i've children, so my playing time is restricted. Im going to search again and if i find a solution, im gonna us it right on the spot. If im asking its cause probably im missunderstanding something or its not the answer im looking for.

Well thank you for this new way of thinking, its refreshing and let us know we all can make mistakes !

Good day to all, Folks !

sangredevida

Wanderer
I'm all for a nicer home to post on.

I can not say how many times I have just closed my browser just before I typed a reply or before I posted a question, for fear of a mad rampage of Self proclaimed experts wanting to rant on the new guy. Its nice to see things are changing and shaping up. I believe in a nicer and happier forum where newbies and experts can exist. :)

PDakis

Wanderer
I would just like to say thank you. After searching many times for a answer that seemed to be ellusive I was afraid to post. Lol well I guess I learned alot that way by trial and error but it could of saved me many hours of frustration or just settling on something else ...if I had not been so fearful of a nasty reply. Thank you for fixing that problem . While I am at it thank you for making this site possible , it really is such a help to all of us. I dont know what I would do without runuo and all it does for the community.

lllTalonlll

Sorceror
well you know i as well and STILL am new to all this and when i first started i got the same results as alot of you have and that was well hes new and we dont have the time but here laetly iv noticed that alot of you have helped and gotten back to my posts quickly and even compimented one of my posts and a few of the yes NEWBE scripts that where not totally mine but respect and credit due to where it was due . so in this i say thank you and im glad that we are all trying to get this back to what i would imagine was once the way it should of been and thats whit the help of others and the team growing as a whole not as I after all the old saying that yes some may find corny or stupid but yet still is the CORE to it all and that is there is no I in TEAM and with that said i think the ones and the few that are getting onboard here and helping will make one and sorry for the next word but one HELL of a TEAM.

thsnks for all the hard work and time that all of you put into this in helping each and every one of us from old vets to US new just starting out scriptors.

lllTalonlll

Sythen

Sorceror
Very Well Stated Ryan

The RunUO community has been very helpful to me. I've been working on my server for the better part of 2 years now and about 75% of the time I always get an answer to my scripting issues. :)

The other 25% of the time I get a reply (usually from the same person) listing about 50 alternative links to browse thru from which the poster must think I'll get my answer; most of the time its very unhelpful. :mad:

Thank you for putting your foot down. Much Appreciated!!! :D:D:D