RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something for all of you to chew on...

PerfectWing

Wanderer
I'd just like to say that I've already seen tremendous improvement within the community. And not the kind you get for an hour and a half after a post like this one or your other two that I can recall, but so far it's been a steady improvement that's maintained the test of time for much longer than the previous whiplash improvements.

I've only really scoured the Starbucks and General discussion topics, and occasionally script releases. I stopped tampering with scripting in RunUO a long time ago, just kicking back and taking a breather, awaiting 2.0 and figured when it comes out I'll dilly dally with the new options and get back in slowly. Then I'll be back to assisting people, when I make sure everything I remember still works, lol.

I'm so glad there's been noticable improvements all around. It feels good to post again!

Dodge1965

Wanderer
This is an absolutely stunning decision and one that can only be of benefit to the community as a whole. So many people I know have viewed these forums in the past as a 'necessary evil' rather than a place for support and simply use them to obtain scripts, offering nothing in return for fear of humiliation from certain individuals whom many would not voice against for fear of becoming a target for their 'click'.

Hopefully now, helpfulness will become more of a status symbol than notoriety.

XenoWolf

Wanderer
A-fucking-men. The 'snob' factor is one of the reasons I really don't frequent the boards unless I have some serious question. I get pissed off seeing people struggling to understand something simple only to get told off/pseudo-moderated by the older members.

DeepIn

Wanderer
Amen

Amen, Ryan.

I'm a noob.Sometimes i had some stupid questions.
But i experienced that my questions had been answered quickly
So, lets don't look to the past
Let's look to the better future.
The people are not that bad in the forums here

Excuse my bad english:eek:

jorisan

Wanderer
Answer the Damn Question?

ok, but....... What was the Question?......................

From an old blonde................... going grey. If I know the answer, I will answer it.:p

ewalsh

Wanderer
A Huge Thank You To Ryan

Ya know Ryan, it's because of being flamed that I stopped even looking at these forums for 3 months. I was new, as I stated and almost every post I made a certain someone was flaming me on the simple question that I asked. I was bored one night, at the beginning of this month, going through my bookmarks and decided to take a quick peek to see if anything changed. I noticed a change and thought to myself, hmm...certain flaming posts are missing here, people are actually helping people now. I can't tell you all the wonderful changes that are taking place here. I love it. For the past couple of weeks I have spent more time catching up on these forums than actually in game!
This is a huge step for the community - a step in the right direction.
Maybe now I can actually learn something, and eventually help others as I learn.
God only knows how many people just didn't bother to check back and left the forums for good - people that would probably be very helpful to us this day. Let's not take that road again. Let's look in the direction of improving communication - which is what it boils down to - and make this a much better and stronger community.
Thank you Ryan!!

Mortis

Knight
With the new community spirit here I also may start reapearing on these forums.

I was getting tired of the way things were going. I was also very busy in real life and had litle time to script or help people.

Radwen

Wanderer
Making runUO a noob friendly place will just allow it to grow more.
I understand the "Omfg, noobs never use the search button !", but this should be transformed into "he doesn't seem to know how to use the search button, i'll do it for him and describe how I got that answer so that he can do so by himself next time".

It's always good to go through something with someone the first time. Stuff can be really confusing if you don't know how it works or how to get around a certain environment (sometimes it's just terminology that mixes people up..).

I guess what I'm saying is by helping a noob in a constructive way, you remove a noob. (if that makes any sense).

Rosey1

Wanderer
thank you ryan. I've been very hesitant in posting because i was always afraid of getting a nasty reply. I am so new to c# that i don't even understand the simple syntax yet so a reply like that never helped me learn.
I'm really looking forward to learning more and more.

Marlberg

Wanderer
I guess what I'm saying is by helping a noob in a constructive way, you remove a noob. (if that makes any sense).

Tons and Tons of sense. I cant remember who it was that said it first. Its a very old sentiment tho:

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day Teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

I got the feeling from a lot of the posts as I was researching my own problems that Some of the "Uber l33T coders" thought that if you taught a noob they were somehow Giving them a fish etc etc. Most of us only wanted a pointer in the right direction.

Ryan AMEN Bro AMEN

Pyro-Tech

Knight
amen to that, and i hope that things can change....lord knows how many times i have wanted to ask, but didn't in fear of some people just flaiming or saying search....why ask when i had the result already figured? :)

all goes well, this would be a welcome change