RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something for all of you to chew on...

Personally I find searching can help the person looking for help. I have been told to search a few times. No biggie, was a learning experience. I only help "EVERYTHING" affiliated with RunUO and UOG follow along to help people instead being self absorbed and acting all godly because they think they are better than everyone else. They fail to remember that at one time they didnt jack either. But just speaking my mind of course which is hard to do for fear of being banned by a moderator. Thank you for reading my ramblings.

Courageous

Wanderer
xX_Devious_Xx said:
Personally I find searching can help the person looking for help.

Here's what I do. I meet them halfway. I assume that search mechanisms might be new to them. So I craft for them a search that will reveal their answer on the first page of links, and post the search terms. In this way, one can politely suggest that the item is frequently asked for, and should be searched, while at the same time answering their question.

C//

Mifune

Sorceror
Dodge1965 said:
Hopefully now, helpfulness will become more of a status symbol than notoriety.

I know this was posted on page 1, but I just had to respond to it. Being a member of the RunUO Forums should not be about status. Anyone who is doing RunUO development solely for status should drastically reassess their priorities, because they're in it for the wrong reason. The only "status" anyone should have or seek is that of being known as a helpful member of the community. Status should not be a goal in and of itself. You're either here to learn or to help other people learn. That's it. (Or have fun, which is what a game is all about anyway.)

I've noticed myself trying to come less often to the boards over the years due to it... Though it's made me try and figure out my problems a lot more frequently. That's a fact... But it’s still a shame to see such ‘good and glory’ show any possibility to be gone, or even tainted for that matter.

Cloud[CHN]

Sorceror
i have to search for the problem and cost a lot of time to find the solution.

i know it's impossible to get the answers if i post here.

it's useless. just something like bullshit. hehe

My Jaw Has Dropped

This quote is exactly the disease the RunUO community suffers from. It's true that here on these forums 99% of the questions have probably been answered. While we dont have copious amounts of documentation we have a very large and very heavily used forum where people answer questions on a daily basis. Usually the information we need is as close as hitting the search button.

The problem is we have a lot of users who are RunUO Snobs (Example: Phantom) that wont answer simple questions and tell 'newbies' to go read the forums, search the forums or read the documentation. Its ridiculous and it will be the downfall of further adoption of RunUO and will drive away more members of our community than it already has. A few of the development team members spoke recently and this kind of behavior will no longer be tolerated... from anyone.

If someone asks a question and you know the answer... answer the damn question. Answering the question is the best thing you can do for RunUO and like the person who wrote the quote driving this update said, "...it can also foster the sense of community that is the very lifeblood of..." RunUO.

Things are changing around here if you haven't already noticed. If you dont get on board you should probably get out.
Am I seeing this clearly?
This has been a wish of mine since I first came to this forum :)

Thank you, Ryan.

bzk90

Lord
Cloud[CHN] said:
i have to search for the problem and cost a lot of time to find the solution.

i know it's impossible to get the answers if i post here.

it's useless. just something like bullshit. hehe

work on what keywords you use then, its not impossibe you just need to know what your looking for, and even when you post to find the answers so long as you word your question and try to help yourself you will find your precious answer. if people werent so damn lazy we would not have a problem

walkingdead

Wanderer
Thank you For this post I have been working with RunUO for a long time now but just lurked here in the forum. I have refrained from posting because of some of the responses I have seen. I always looked in amazement at how some responded with a “go look for yourself” or “type it up yourself and if you fail miserably post the code them maybe we will help you!” In the time it would take them to post that kind of reply they could have just answered the question!

I love the work you have done on RunUO and there are some great people here on the forums and I am ashamed that I have not been more active because of a few bad people. Maybe this will help some to understand the importance of well just being polite on the forms. I stayed away from posting because it was not worth it for me to deal with the negative responses that I have seen here and I believe I am not the only one to do this. So once again thank you for this post.:)

walkingdead

Wanderer
bzk90 said:
work on what keywords you use then, its not impossibe you just need to know what your looking for, and even when you post to find the answers so long as you word your question and try to help yourself you will find your precious answer. if people werent so damn lazy we would not have a problem

please re-read the first post in this thread!

I don't think you understood it. This is about helping people not venting your frustrations. If you are upset about this you do not need to reply to the post! You do more harm then good. If you wanted to explain what you do to insure you find what you are looking for with the forum search then please help out. not everybody has had success with the searches. You do not need to get nasty about it. Help or don't help your choice.

If you don't have anything nice to post then don't post at all :p .

Nothing wrong with giving someone a kick in the butt to point them in the right direction. Its a 50/50 effort. :D Hopefully we all can get along and do our part in making an even better community. I am currently learning more on C# thanks to the other posting of the programs microsoft released for free. Hopefully I can contribute more back to the community that gave me so much. Thank You All Alot.

i try to give them a little bit of help with out doing it for them,
or i tell them of something just like what they are trying to do, and to search for that thread, because it would help them out a lot
or hey - that has been done - look here for it

I do not tell them just to seach (or try not to - unless it is more of a request than a question)

I know i have gotten frustrated with the search engine (pop and pops are 2 totaly diferent searches and neither will show up wiht the other) or you get 10 pages worth to go through

but when you do figure it out, it makes you feel like you accomplished something

if it is just totaly handed to you, with out even trying, there is not much satasfaction there.

But since i started coming to these boards, I have been helped, helped others, and gained a great deal of knoledge, friends, and scripts along the way.

Help others, but do not hand them the stuff on a silver platter either. They will learn more that way, and some day they can help others then also

(when i came here I knew 0 of C# - I am a VB programmer ---- now I consider my knoledge of C# as "dangerous to be around" :D )

Codeus

Wanderer
This is something that this community, as well as may others out there, has needed for quite some time. It seemed to get a little better for a while after Outkasts post a while back but not to the extent that was needed. I don't know how many times I've tried to post a reply, sometime spending 5 - 10 minutes or more adding code/examples, just to find the post has been locked due to a flame war. In many of these posts the original poster never got their answer. Also, think of how many post out there are 10 - 20 pages long that should have been no more than 5 - 10 post long, for the exact same reason.
I just hope that this community can now get back to a helpful and enjoyable place for all that come here.

Lucifer TOP

Wanderer
Thank God,

Man Ive been working with the RunUO system for 3 years now and more than once or twice I have ran into rude an less than helpful replies. I have even been smoked by so called vet's for taking the time to help someone with a problem because they asked it in the wrong forum. To be very frank I have stopped repling to help request because of that an I rarely ask for help for the very same reason.

I'm glade to see that the RunUO staff is finally going to put their foot down on this issue an make this place a more friendly enviroment.

Thank You Very Very Very much.

Lucifer, TOP :cool:

Ryan said:
Taking your ball and going home is any different right...?

*shakes head*

How mistaken some of you are.

And this will make me more inclined to share when the person that runs this place posts a reply like this and lowers my rep to -5

I stated a solid fact on what happened and why I stopped sharing. I was about to start sharing again but this has quikly changed my mind against the idea completely.

jaynigs

Wanderer
evil lord kirby said:
And this will make me more inclined to share when the person that runs this place posts a reply like this and lowers my rep to -5

I stated a solid fact on what happened and why I stopped sharing. I was about to start sharing again but this has quikly changed my mind against the idea completely.

*sigh* how childish, if you dont want to share your scripts, then dont share them, im sure noone will be losing any sleep over it..

Your really that bothered about karma?

Perhaps this community isnt for you?

ABCGizmo

Sorceror
I really havent Spent much time here posting over the past 6 or so months. I just used this as a How To Guide. Ive spent the greater part of the past 6 months living the RunUO 1.0 code. Reading it, Adding my own stuff to it. This site has done wonders for my development. Im a fairly skilled programmer in general. I just didnt know the Build of RunUO. Now that I have a much clearer picture of the overall system design. I can now write my code without looking up most the common stuff I use too. These forums was the biggest help anybody in my position could of asked for.

Im honored to read the insight of brilliant people such as yourselves.

Now that I think I have used your system to learn as much as I can. I think I should probably start contributing. I have never post a question here, nor Have I gave any replys to anybody asking a question. Ill start doing a little more when I get time. But my server keeps me pretty busy. So ill do my best.

Thanks for the great work.

Gizmo

Anvil

Wanderer
For all of you who say you post links to other threads to help people, that's all well and good and I applaud your efforts, however, keep in mind and I find this myself alot of times where links are dead or no longer work (older threads) because of the way the forums were changed/moved. So while you request a search, it doesn't always result in helpful information and lands users clicking links that go no where but back to www.runuo.com. My suggestion would be just to post the answer in the thread they're asking or cut/paste it from the thread you found it on into the thread their asking for. That way we can get away from the thread re-directions.

Anvil

jaynigs said:
*sigh* how childish, if you dont want to share your scripts, then dont share them, im sure noone will be losing any sleep over it..

Your really that bothered about karma?

Perhaps this community isnt for you?

you miss my point here by lowering my rep and making that reply it completely contradicts what this thread was started about in the first place thus I see it as nothing will ever change here.