RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spawn Editor 2

Error

Hi Arte...

It's been awhile but I returned to your XMLSpawner2. Great modifications you have made over the years. Thank you for your time and contributions.

Currently, I have encountered a Transfer Server error that I see a few people may have experienced however, my error msg appears to differ.

First, I start up the server and I log in with the most recent UO client. Once I am in, I then proceed to start up Spawn Editor 2 (v1.18). I can get the Transfer Server to register/authenticate via the client however, when I try to load data from the server (players, items, spawns) using the transfer server settings window, I receive the following error msg:

No Message Data Received From Remote Server for Server.Engines.XmlSpawner2.Error Message(Server.Engines.XmlSpawner2.ErrorMessage)

I am running SpawnEditor2 on the same server box as RunUo. I have changed ports as well as double checked the IP's (I currently have it set for local 127.0.0.1). I even disabled all firewalls on both hardware and software apps just for giggles to check if there was a weird conflict.

In addition, I have placed the TransferServer.dll into the main folder where the server.exe resides. In the data/assemblies, my assemblies.cfg has the following:

"System.dll
System.Web.dll
System.Xml.dll
System.Data.dll
System.Drawing.dll
System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
OrbServerSDK.dll
UOArchitectInterface.dll
Ultima.dll
TransferServer.dll"

All the other custom xml scripts are in my custom folder with the exception of the SpawnEditor2 files which remain in c:\programs\spawneditor2.

Any ideas as to why I am receiving the error message? I have not seen this issue resolved in the prior pages to this thread whereby the spawneditor2 and the server are run on the same box.

Thanks for the help.

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Have you tried going into the setup menu and setting the path to the server .exe again?

Make sure that you have zlib.dll in your main RunUO directory along with your server.exe

Another thing to try is to install the spawneditor executable in the same folder as the RunUo server to see if you have some file access restriction issues to the server dlls.

Arte...

Ok.

As for your first suggestion...yes, I reset it a few times. No Go.

Second suggestion, the zlib.dll is in the main RunUO directory with the server exe.

Let me try the third suggestion later when I arrive home. Let's hope that could be the fix I need.

Thank you for the extremely prompt response. Much appreciated.

UPDATE: Ok. Arte...I reset the server option three times. Third time it recognized and the error disappeared. Odd issue but hey, it works. What a great tool for admins!

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Shard Admin Adam said:
Arte...

Ok.

As for your first suggestion...yes, I reset it a few times. No Go.

Second suggestion, the zlib.dll is in the main RunUO directory with the server exe.

Let me try the third suggestion later when I arrive home. Let's hope that could be the fix I need.

Thank you for the extremely prompt response. Much appreciated.

UPDATE: Ok. Arte...I reset the server option three times. Third time it recognized and the error disappeared. Odd issue but hey, it works. What a great tool for admins!

I wish that I could figure out what that is about. I think that it is something related to path access to the server installation, maybe on networked drives, maybe locked access to the dlls due to use. A couple of people have reported the same thing. Resetting the .exe path and relocating the spawneditor installation seem to be the two things that resolve it.

(edit)

oh, and I think this is exactly the same issue that others reported, and the only reason the error message seems a bit different is because I changed it to report a bit more info.

BiO_ZeRg

Wanderer
PROBLEM:
SpawnEditor2.exe - Common Language Runtime Debuggin Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled

Process id_0x488(1160), Thread id=0xe68 (3688)

Click OK to terminate the application
Click CANCEL to debug the application

ArteGordon

Wanderer
BiO_ZeRg said:
PROBLEM:
SpawnEditor2.exe - Common Language Runtime Debuggin Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled

Process id_0x488(1160), Thread id=0xe68 (3688)

Click OK to terminate the application
Click CANCEL to debug the application

make sure that you have the .Net 1.1 redistributable installed (the same thing needed for the RunUO server). Then follow these troubleshooting steps to make sure that you arent missing some needed dlls.

Troubleshooting:

Problem: SpawnEditor2.exe wont start up.

If you are having trouble starting up SpawnEditor2.exe or you receive error messages when you run Setup.bat, you may be missing some needed system dlls. To fix this problem follow these steps:

1) To find out what required system dlls you might be missing, run the dll dependency walker program 'depends.exe' that can be downloaded at http://www.dependencywalker.com/ and open up the UOMap.ocx from the File menu.

2) Note any missing required dlls that it reports (shown in red).

3) Get the missing dlls and install them in the windows System32 folder.
You can probably find the dll that you need at this site http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/
(Dont worry about missing Java dlls since Java support is not required).

4) Run Setup.bat again to install the UOMap.ocx tool.

Grinder

Sorceror
Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0xf6c (3948), Thread id=0xf80 (3968).

Grinder

Sorceror
more

heres what i have tried.

1. checked and dl missing .dlls
2. went into .net framework wizard and set trust to max.
3. used the .net fix prog

nothing seems to work.
one possiblity although it shouldnt be an issue is i have the spawn editor in several diff directories, and have tried it from each one remembering to rerun setup.bat for each directory....still get the error.

I would really like to try this prog...i have xp home with sp2...im baffled.

thanks

Grinder

Sorceror
yeah.....tried both......i did think of something else though.....i havent patched my client in a while so i think i will bring it up to current and see if that helps

Grinder

Sorceror
crap

patching the client didnt help either......guess i am not going to be able to use the spawn editor.....at least it works in the game......just cant get the standalone to work.....bummer.

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Grinder said:
patching the client didnt help either......guess i am not going to be able to use the spawn editor.....at least it works in the game......just cant get the standalone to work.....bummer.

Here are some things to try

Do you have a RunUO server installed on that machine, and can you run it? If you can then you should have the necessary .NET 1.1 installation requirement.

Run the dll dependency walker on both the uomap.ocx and the spawneditor2.exe files to make sure that you have all of the necessary system dlls.

Try installing all of the spawneditor files from the main v118 and support package into a folder in your RunUO installation.

Grinder

Sorceror
i already tried all those things.....still no go....almost thinking about uninstalling .net and reinstalling but i doubt that would do any good since the server works just fine and so does the in-game commands for the spawner.

Grinder

Sorceror
one question though.....not sure it would apply in this situation but.....does the editor have an error capture routine? that might help

ArteGordon

Wanderer
Grinder said:
one question though.....not sure it would apply in this situation but.....does the editor have an error capture routine? that might help

you can run it with the -debug command line option and it will generate a debug log file named debug.log that will give some additional information about how far it is getting.

(edit)

oh, and spawneditor2.exe should have a custom error handler that dumps a full stack trace. So either it is crashing before even initializing (.net problem), or I left it out of the last posted version (stupidity problem), or it is a problem in the uomap.ocx active X display tool which isnt getting trapped by the custom editor error handler (dll or mul problem).

Also, are you using any custom, old, or modded mul files?

Do you have any custom stuff in assemblies.cfg?

Grinder

Sorceror
i uninstalled .net framework and re-installed..no go......ran the editor with the debug active......only thing it has in the file generated is that its starting with the time.......so.....if i understand your post that prob means i have a .net prob.....but what? i do have the editor in several diff directories as i stated earlier..but i doubt that would cause a prob.....dunno what to do next

oh and btw.....as far as i know i dont have any old muls or anything else....i patched my client to current.......am using the latest runuo download with no mods other than what is suggested for installing your spawner stuff....oh and one other thing......i have the SE version of UO.....if that makes any diff.

(edit)

got it to work......i put all the support dll's as well as the executable in my root runuo directory and voila.......it worked.....finally....lol.....anyway....got it working....thanks for all the help

ArteGordon

Wanderer
glad you got it working.
I still dont know exactly what that problem is about, but the information about the debug log helped. If you could post the exact contents that would also be useful.

Grinder

Sorceror
there was basicly nothing in the debug....but will post anyway...here it is

6/4/2006 5:10:47 PM:
6/4/2006 5:10:47 PM: =======================================
6/4/2006 5:10:47 PM: Starting
6/4/2006 5:11:22 PM:
6/4/2006 5:11:22 PM: =======================================
6/4/2006 5:11:22 PM: Starting

but the prob apparently was that i had the dlls in one directory and the executable in its directory......so when i put the dlls plus the executable in the SAME dir, i.e my runuo dir with the server exe. then it worked just fine.