RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting your own Server

resevil83

Wanderer
Ok, I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. My goal is to start my own shard just as an experimental thing. I want to set up some quests for some old friends, maybe three or four players.

I have followed this guide and I caught some snags. The first of which was the port forwarding. I have done this in the past, but now I have a comcast EMTA. It's an arris tg862 (phone, modem, router combined) Port forwarding with this device is not working how I believe it should. I found out my ip from whatismyip and when I enter it into the port forwarding field it says this is not a valid ip. I gave up on this for now, and just want to be able to create my admin account and run around the world, try setting things up and such. In my serverlist.cs I tried to set it up so it was only local (thinking i could change it to public later without issues?)

Well I changed serverlist.cs with notepad++ then I ran the ultima online mondains legacy.exe patched the game, then went into the EA games folder found uo.exe ran that and then ran the RunUO-2.2 + Rev.96 framework 4 executable. after all that I ran razor. When I did the framework 4 it asked me to make an owner account (i did) but it loads joekus rune book and does this world save thing over and over. I basically have no idea what I'm doing.

How do I get UO running? I launched uo mundains legacy, get the normal ultima online login window but when I enter in my account and password it just times out.

How should I be launching these programs to do what I'm looking to do?

To note: I have ultima online installed in f: (had little room on c:) In razor this is my data directory F:\UO\EA Games I have also changed the datapath.cs file to reflect a custom data path.. Did not know if that was necessarily right.

I have .netframework 4 installed and am running windows 7

Attachments

• runuoattempt.jpg
    runuoattempt.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 15

Arvoreen

Sorceror
When you do port forwarding, the IP your forward to wouldn't be one that you get from whatsmyip, it would be an internal IP, the 10.0.0.3 one. To be quite honest, for a normal setup, you shouldn't even have to change the IP in your serverlist, it will autodetect (it looks like it is from your runuo console window).

You don't need to run the uo.exe file to run runuo. Once you have the RunUO console window (the one that asked to make the admin acct and saves), then you run razor, and tell it to connect to localhost. It should let you log in with the admin account info you created at that point. Your external IP address (the 67.x.x.x one) would only be used by people outside of your home network to connect.

resevil83

Wanderer
hah! awesome got it working in like two seconds based on your help. All I needed to do was input localhost into razor! I started running around and fell through the ground pretty much instantly though. I'll read up on that. Any good youtube videos on how to increase my skills to 100, give myself weapons and armor?

I say youtube, because I saw a video of someone showing how to modify .cs files. Really, I guess what I'm asking is, what is the major editor? Is it all coding, or is there any gui functions? I guess I'll have to do a lot more reading on this forum! You were a huge help, and now I'm extra motivated.

resevil83

Wanderer
oh' and where can I find SVN 895? I feel like this may fix the problem of me falling through the ground. I don't know what SVN 895 is even :( Can I teleport out of the ground if I just created a character on the admin account?

resevil83

Wanderer
I take back my comment about how to teleport. After tinkering around with the admin panel I found the m tele button which teleports you to wherever you click.

Dan Buro... where should I be inputting that information? In the serverlist.cs? I am already in the world... I just notice I fall through the floor every now and again.

alchimysty

Wanderer
falling through the world is a client issue. runuo 2.2 only can handle up to something like 7.0.25.x (if that) due to a huge change OSI made. The latest SVN will support the latest client and you can score that via orbsydia...there's stuff in the FAQ about how to download the latest SVN. I recommend going with 7.0.23.1 as a client unless you want the absolute latest, greatest, and messiest. ;)

-Alch

resevil83

Wanderer
Doesn't the client automatically update itself to the latest version, how do you stop it at 7.0.23.1?

I haven't really done anything in the world to be upset about, like decorating the entire city of britannia... but if I go to an earlier client don't I have to uninstall the game in it's entireity and restart? If the answer is yes, that means I have to uninstall razor and run uo as well, correct?

Sorry I was responding to your other post about trying to get in the shard...did see the other post where you fixed it.

alchimysty

Wanderer
Doesn't the client automatically update itself to the latest version, how do you stop it at 7.0.23.1?

I haven't really done anything in the world to be upset about, like decorating the entire city of britannia... but if I go to an earlier client don't I have to uninstall the game in it's entireity and restart? If the answer is yes, that means I have to uninstall razor and run uo as well, correct?

You should be using razor to launch the client (thus bypassing the auto-updater). Dropping back to an earlier client is pretty easy and doesn't really mess with things...meaning you shouldn't have to reinstall razor or runuo. Simply uninstall the client and reinstall the older client, you might have to change datapath.cs to reflect this if it's in a different directory. In regards to finding an earlier client it's QUITE easy to do a google search for the Ultima Online 7.0.15.1 client and then the 7.0.15.1 -> 7.0.23.1 Patch and you'll be good to go.

-Alch

resevil83

Wanderer
ok, I am about to embark on this... Where does runuo save game data to? I want to make sure it's directed towards my f: drive and I also want to make backups of it weekly to an external hard drive.

alchimysty

Wanderer
it saves it to the Saves directory within your Runuo folder. To get it to save to F i'd imagine you'd need to install Runuo and run it from there. Just a heads up RunUO is VERY portable meaning you can literally copy the entire folder, put it wherever and run it from there...no changes are necessary. I'm constantly moving it around between comps i'm on and I run into no issues doing so. To back it up it's very easy to backup the entire RunUO folder to wherever. I personally backup my RunUO folder into a .rar file and keep many many copies...just in case.

It is HIGHLY recommended you keep a backup of the entire RunUO Folder prior to making any serious changes (such as distro edits)...just in case.

-Alch

Arvoreen

Sorceror
I wouldn't bother with getting an older version, just get the SVN, as it works with the newest client (as of now). Plus you won't miss out on stuff they add. When they patch the client, lately it's only taking Eos a weekish to get the SVN updated to handle whatever they changed.

http://www.runuo.com/community/threads/how-to-download-and-compile-the-runuo-svn.93437/

Will tell you how to download and compile the SVN. In case you don't know, a batch file is just a txt file with a .bat extension, and contains a list of command line commands to run (I noticed that seems to be the top ? people have when they read that howto). It's not nearly as hard as it all sounds, and it lets you keep up to date on whatever the latest RunUO build is. Just take your time, follow the steps, and if you run into problems, post in the support forums here (start a new thread for your issue, post as much information as possible to help us help you)

Everything pretty much is scripts, to edit I've seen people say something about Notepad+, I myself use Visual C# Express 2010 (Free from Microsoft), and I've also used SharpDevelop (www.icsharpcode.net), but you can manage certain aspects of your server from the [admin menu.

And, if you're trying to find something, go to google, and say you want to find an auction system, type "auction system site:runuo.com" into google, and it will search runuo for what you're trying to find. There's tons of info here, even a lot of old stuff that, while it won't work right out of the box, can give ideas or be updated to work. Sky's pretty much the limit. :)

Hope this is helpful :)

Vorspire

Knight
Visual Studio has always had the power to compile applications, including RunUO, with a single click - the trick is getting the solution/projects set up, which can be a daunting task, but there is an alternative mirror to consider for obtaining an up-to-date copy of RunUO - http://urunuo.codeplex.com
Going from download to launching a shard can be as short as 3 easy steps;

Step 1) Download the source code.
Step 2) Open the downloaded source folder.

Option A) Browse to the Shard folder and launch RunUO.exe
Option B) Go to Step 3

Step 3) Open RunUO.sln in Visual Studio 2010 (edit scripts)
Step 4) Hit F6 to compile a new RunUO.exe (any time)
Step 5) Go to Option A or Step 6 if Option A fails to allow connections
Step 6) Edit your scripts - Misc/DataPath.cs and Misc/ServerList.cs as needed
Step 7) Go to Option A

There are more details on the CodePlex page on the Documentation tab.

Dark Raven

Wanderer
Ok I stated a server by reading all this stuff you already have, yet when I connect to the server I get a huge black space and will be stuck. Yet if I teleport out of the area the black spot goes away. Yet at the same time I have buildings not rendering only doors and some buildings rendering yet no doors. I also have Vendors or NPC's in the floors in some buildings while NPC or Vendors not stuck in other areas they are rendering fine.

I have not messed with anything except changing client to null.

Any ideas what’s going on?

Dark Raven

Wanderer
When trying to figure out how to connect to the server I started it would not let me so I keep looking and reading other areas.
one said to change public static readonly string ServerName = "RunUO TC" to public static readonly string ServerName= Null
So after I did that I could connect yet had all these problems now I got it back to public static readonly string ServerName = "RunUO TC" and still have those same problems.

I am very new at this so trying to understand this stuff is like reading greek almost. I have done a few script mods for Rome, Kingdoms, Empire Total War, but its nothing like this.