RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Hold Em Poker

targetofhate

Wanderer
Sythen;829762 said:
ROFL... no hate or rage here... just stating a very clear observation based on your posts in this thread. :p

As for kicking you off the forums, (although its nothing personal lol) I think they should. Why? Because you are basicially telling everyone in the community to STFU with this thread over a request and not posting the script after you teased someone saying you had it (didn't your parents teach you its not nice to tease :p).

You're right, if you feel you want something for your script then, imho thats not unreasonable had you scripted your entire server yourself (including that RunUO emulator you use); I'm pretty sure you didn't. Anyway, thats neither here nor there; bottom line: your making a stand that is counter-productive to this community and that type of behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

If you had kept the fact that you had this script to yourself in the first place, this thread wouldn't have gone anywhere and the community probably would have swept this whole topic under the rug. :p

FYI: sharing your script with 1 person in the community doesn't constitute giving back to the community unless you post it publicly on the boards.

***EDIT***

Oh and for books... since you brought it up... Head First C# By O'REILLY is much much better than C# for Dummies... (in case anyone is actually interested in buying books). :D

Last I knew, I lived in a country where we are given the right of freedom of speech. Just because I will not share my scripts - doesn't make me the bad guy. I simply was contributing by stating the script is out there, and I never stated I wouldn't give it up - I said NOT FOR FREE. I don't put my time and effort into scripting for days at a time to simply hand it away for people to steal and call it their own, if everyone did no shard would be unique. You going to bitch at UOGAMERS for not releasing their scripts too pal? How about krrios for not releasing the source to Sallos? Not saying I necessarily want money for it, but I'm open to negotiations whether it involves trades, etc.

And for your information, some people are grateful and have thanked me via PM for letting them know the script is out there - and for giving them the opportunity to have it on their server. Thanks for your unnecessary input though.

Sythen

Sorceror
you're all so very welcome :D

Truth be told I didn't post as a personal vendetta against you. Couldn't care less, but you come off like an arrogant ass so I'm entitled to give you my 2 cents; bottom line: suck it up. As for those people who pm'd you, awesome man! You ought to pat yourself on the back, want a cookie and a tall glass of milk? ;)

You're still a tease, you bad boy! ;)

Don't like the post don't read it; try not to be so arrogant that you actually think I'm offended or affected by your apathy or lack of judgement on this matter because I could care less. There's more to life than tussling around with some 21 year old punk who struts his stuff on the internet like his shit don't stink. :eek:

I find it all rather amusing :D Besides, if I really cared about any of this I wouldn't desensitize my posts with colorful smiley faces :D :D :D

crimson420

Wanderer
can you girls not fight on here this for like help not for yelling please be nice and give me the cs for that poker thing

Sythen

Sorceror
@Crimson420: ROFL... come 'ere gimme a kiss big boy :p :)

@Hammerhand: *speechless* :) ;)

@TrixtA-hybrid: - don't get your panties in a bind, was awesome seeing your sensitive side :)

@ Sythen (Yea Me - ROFL): *Thread Closed* 'nuff said :D :p :rolleyes:

@vBulletin: These smileys really are AWESOME!!! :) :D :D :) :D :D :) :D :D :) ;) :rolleyes:

Murzin

Knight
well, truth be told if i had written a texas hold-em script and i saw posts in script support, i would not release it either...

script support is not the place for requesting scripts

of course, i have released a fair number of scripts to the community, and there are several that i did not release to the community. the ones i did not release to the community usually involve mobs/npcs/quests having to do with dealing with ultra-fast swing speed aos uber arty servers.

found nice solution to some other problems in other scripts i never released.

of course, there were a fair number of scripts i released because other scripts others had released to the community were absolutely travesties and very horrible implementations and bug-ridden

teleport books, event gate systems, training weapons, training mobs, etc

some people even contacted me on AIM and i managed to help them through some of their issues and problems with scripting like a guys engraving tool among many

romanthebrain

Sorceror
now I have looked long time for a workinf texas hold em poker script like on the shard hybrid from trixta . But i dont found anything :(
If anybody got something like this pls PM me or post it here . it would me very nice ... pls :)

CEO

Sorceror
trixtA-hybrid;829717 said:

;)
This thread cracks me up... Hey, are those my slots on Hybrid!!! Hmmmm. :p

JamzeMcC

Squire
Sythen;833135 said:
ACK! The lack of symetry in that gump is killing me!!!!! :eek:

Rofl Yer a nut... However, I agree! Lol Yes CEO I do believe those are "Your" slot machines... Soe people have lost sight of what it means to do a good thing in turn. The whole pay it forward idea is all to much for most. All they care about is "Me me me"

Lichtblitz

Sorceror
JamzeMcC;833138 said:
Rofl Yer a nut... However, I agree! Lol Yes CEO< I do believe those are "Your" slot machines... Soe people have lost sight of what it means to do a good thing in turn. The whole pay it forward idea is all to much for most. All they care about is "Me me me"

Wow, you've got no clue, have you? I'm happy to share help and a few scripts or snippets with you guys but there simply is stuff that I'm definitely not sharing. I'm keeping unique selling points of my shard to myself - the competition is hard enough as it is. On the other hand I'm not bragging about stuff I don't share.

I would love to have a poker script but if the author is not willing to share it for free that's his decision and he has every right to do so. Everyone who is somewhat experienced in programming can easily write such a system in 1-2 weeks. Whining about it won't help.

JamzeMcC

Squire
I have no clue? Rofl If your not sharing a program that you are not bragging about then I was not talking about you. If you are going to come wag shit in peoples face and still not share, then I was talking about you. Lets take the food out of someones hand but not give back when I have it.... This is what I was refering to... Get a clue yourself and dont go on demeaning people with out a full understanding of who or what they are! Making a jackass statement about someone without even a clue yourself, way to go...

Sythen

Sorceror
I'm keeping unique selling points of my shard to myself - the competition is hard enough as it is. :rolleyes:

Nah I disagree and I'll bitch freely thank you...:eek: but then I'm also learning to script a lot better than previously before so I'm comfortable with the opposition to my theory. Just know that everything I script or re-script will be posted. The reason: its fundamental really... Electronic owns the rights to the game your, "selling points are written for". Therefore if you choose to admittedly sell your stuff, you may be infringing on copyright legalities; of which I'm sure EA/OSI/Mythic Entertainment wont go after you for, however its the principle of the matter moreso than the legality. :rolleyes:

EA/OSI/Mythic Entertainment's Ultima Online graphics come right out of the EA/OSI/Mythic Entertainment UO Client and corresponding Data Files; any way you look at this, if you use their graphics in your scripts and systems and you then turn around and sell those scripts and systems then you're infringing on copyright laws and so, although it's very unlikely, EA/OSI/Mythic Entertainment does have a leg to stand on, if its even worth it for them, to go after you for the royalties their entitled to from your work. Like I said, they probably wont, but they could if you use any of their data in your work. :rolleyes:

I think my argument on this subject is more ethical/moral than anything else, but do what you will. Personally
I feel that, (1) RunUO is a sharing community! This is what its founded on IMO (am I wrong?), (2) Most people on here that do know how to script have offered their expertise FREE to make it possible for others with or without scripting knowledge to run a UO Server (yes YOU are one of those people). (3) They also support and encourage their work to be improved on and resubmitted as a way to encourage others to learn C# and contribute to the community. Without that this community will fail miserably. :(

What gets me the most is the selfishness of it all, I mean come on! If, IF (yea its a but IF), you are lucky enough to get more than 10 people on your server within the first month of its release you still will never achieve the godly status of Demise or Hybrid (both of which posed a substantial competative edge to the commercial servers of Ultima Online)... Very RARE, so take that quote and do some choice things with it because it really is counter-productive. This community shouldn't be about competition, it should be about encouragement, sharing, support and learning. :) ;) :D

Tresdni

Squire
I mean come on! If, IF (yea its a but IF), you are lucky enough to get more than 10 people on your server within the first month of its release you still will never achieve the godly status of Demise or Hybrid

I beg to differ.
Although Hybrid and Demise are huge (as they should be, they are the guys wrote the program we all love so much), it is not impossible to get a playerbase. It takes persistance, a lot of work, and a lot of patience, and in most cases a lot of money.

My server is only 103 days old, and we are reaching peaks of 230+ players now. This is not an impossible task, but you cannot just expect to grab every script you see and think it will work. If you are doing it, so are all the other low ballers, so what are you offering that is new? Not sharing some scripts is purely genious for those trying to obtain a large playerbase. These systems allow their server to offer something that you cannot.

I mean, I have a texas holdem script, but I wouldn't let it go for anything.....just think about it :)

Sythen

Sorceror
I get the concept, I just don't agree with it. Its nothing personal :) This isn't a commercial venture so why the competition? The whole idea surrounding an emulation can be summed up by 2 words: A Hobby. This isn't about not sharing a few cool scripts, its about advertising, teasing, and then not sharing. Many a wise man once said you can argue 2 sides of a dispute until you're blue in the face; people will do what they want to do. My post above was just my way of thinking when it comes to RunUO. :p :D

My point is you've got guys saying, "Hey we've got scripts that you don't have, I'll sell 'em to ya?" and to me, that is just wrong in so many ways (most of which you can read in the post above). :rolleyes: ;)

The reason I started a shard is (1) I love Ultima Online, (2) I think isometric games are going by the wayside so I'm doing my part to preserve isometric gaming. And (3) I'm learning something new everyday! :D That being said, I also create quality custom artwork and have invested a lot of money in tools to help me make the art even better looking over the years. Does that mean I should be selfish and not share it? Not in my nature. Alas no one can be as perfect as me; if I take on the cocky attitudes of a select few.

Some people are skilled coders, some people are gifted with a creative edge, very few have both, and then there's people like me who dabble in everything. So like I said previously RunUO is a sharing community, so if you want to advertise scripts to sell, set up a website and do it elsewhere. Not too hard to do. Oh wait! Maybe you're not creative enough? ... and then there was this matter of teasing everyone with a script but not sharing it... well I could've helped ya FREE of charge, but now I'm feelin a little opportunistic. :p ;)

Not really, but do you see how negativity and lack of common courtesy turns into a revolving door.

I really can't help the sarcasm: :rolleyes: Now lets go one step further: why stop at selling the poker script, why not just charge everyone for the RunUO Emulation software, playUO, Razor! then everyone would be happy. Oh wait, there's also UOL, Genesis, and lets not forget Punt's tools.... In fact lets charge everyone for access any website having to do with UO emulation, this will solve everything, just so everyone can get that competition going! :p Why bother having a hobbyist site at all? Play nice, show respect to those who gave you the code to do what your doing and give back to the community. Its not much to ask.

And I know I'm the king of lengthy posts, so this will be my last response in this thread LOL. I'm blue in the face and its obvious some people wouldn't understand it even if it was stapled to their forehead. :p

n'uf said. :rolleyes: :D :)

Morxeton

Sorceror
  1. trixtA-hybrid is nothing more than an epeen stroking itself. Nothing to see here, really.
  2. I understand the concept of not sharing some scripts to keep your shard unique. In fact, if I were running a shard, I would probably write some unique scripts and not release them to keep the shard interesting and different. However, there would be scripts I would write and release as well. Also I would not post a dickheaded comment like "Oh I wrote a script for that but I'm not releasing it for free." What's the fucking point in even posting?
  3. If I were to be suddenly called a "newb" and a book C# for dummies suddenly recommended to me, which I would promptly shove up the requester's ass, I am currently writing a C# networking library that once complete will be released open source. I am also working on the next MegaSpawner System (being renamed to Mega System as it will include beyond spawning capabilities) that will utilize said library and provide something unique for the RunUO community.
  4. That is all.

Lichtblitz

Sorceror
Sythen;833220 said:
I get the concept, I just don't agree with it.

I completely understand where you're coming from and I have the same attitude regarding other open source projects. But this case is different. Our server was founded over 10 Years ago. I'm playing on it for almost 8.5 years now and I'm part of the staff since 4.5 years, coding for the server since over a year now.
We have a history that goes way back, we have migrated from Sphere to RunUO 1 before it was even final and if everything goes well we might be able to migrate to RunUO 2 this year.

We're facing a hard time since many of our players are growing out of playing UO and it's difficult to give the shard the necessary face-lift to attract many new players. I am dedicated to this server, to all the friends I've made over the years all over the country. I want this server to be successful and not to die out... that's why I simply can't share everything and why I can understand everyone who does not want to share everything himself. With such a history the loyalty to the own server and it's success simply outweighs the loyalty to the RunUO community. That might sound harsh but I'm sure many people out there have the same thoughts.

I'm still happy to give support and code snippets and occasionally I will share some scripts or ideas since I'm using scripts here as inspiration for creating my own systems.

I hope we can all still coexist here ;-)

seems folks who brag about what scripts they won't share often turn here for help on other things.

while I am not the best you can rest assured their post gets skimmed over by me.

I wouldn't be suprised if others feel exactly like I do and skim right over the post of the know it alls who don't share.

That whole "I'm a scriptting superstar who deserves to be paid for what others are doing for free" strikes me as worthy of my delegating them to the not worth me caring about. And if they were that wonderful at it you would think some other shard would have already snapped them up. As so often is the case no shard wants them because their egos won't fit on the server.

Something to keep in mind if you are going to come here asking for help while telling everyone about the scripts you won't share.