RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts of suicide...

Have you even contemplated suicide?

• Yes I have...

Votes: 59 65.6%
  • Never have even contemplated it...

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters

Bleach

Knight
AodhanW;703908 said:
Hurt my feelings, my dear man I don't know you well enough to give a shit enough to have my feelings hurt by your opinion.

I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest, but I do concede your point. He asked for others thoughts, and subsequently got it. But I will reiterate my point, AB posted his thoughts in Starbucks of all places. Which gives me every right to comment on them freely.

As I previously stated, you have every right to comment on mine.

So.. As for 'who the fuck am I to...' another person here in Starbucks utilizing his right to state an opinion.

Note: When telling you to bugger the fuck off, I was not implying you should 'leave the forums and go away'. I was merely saying "Your opinion matters less than the orbit of the moon matters to an earthworm to me"

And just for the sake of being an annoying prat... I may need to work on my comprehension, you need to work on your grammar.

And your opinion is greatly respected and deamed important to everyone here. This is sarcasm, noob.

Btw, leave the grammar nazi-ing to the pro's, it'll otherwise get you a bucked of bad karma. (Which, I had my help in filling ;) )
I'd welcome you to return it, but... well.. *giggles*

Now if your yet again finished with your pissing contest, I'd love to wipe that drop off my boot and move on.
Yes, I'm saying my e-peen is bigger than yours.

Now, leave my Starbucks.

AodhanW

Wanderer
Bleach;703914 said:
And your opinion is greatly respected and deamed important to everyone here. This is sarcasm, noob.
:cool: Nooooooo... You don't say.

Btw, leave the grammar nazi-ing to the pro's, it'll otherwise get you a bucked of bad karma. (Which, I had my help in filling ;) )
I'd welcome you to return it, but... well.. *giggles*

Meh.. Karma Sharma. :)

Now if your yet again finished with your pissing contest, I'd love to wipe that drop off my boot and move on.
Yes, I'm saying my e-peen is bigger than yours.
Now, leave my Starbucks.

Awwww.. And I bet you own a nice big Ferrari too, don'tcha e-peen boy?

you still have not stated a single reason of why or how suicide is wrong, which is your opinion, so we cant respect it unless you can back it up.

Bleach

Knight
AodhanW;703919 said:
Awwww.. And I bet you own a nice big Ferrari too, don'tcha e-peen boy?

Nope.
But I'm 19, own a house, have gone through 3 (on my third, 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8) cars and a motorcycle (2002 Ninja ZX-6R).

Is that enough? Or do I have to rub another one off on ya?

AodhanW

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;703920 said:
you still have not stated a single reason of why or how suicide is wrong, which is your opinion, so we cant respect it unless you can back it up.

Never said Suicide was wrong AB. Said its generally a bad idea.

Now, your standard 'Hari Kari' maneuver, thats all good... Dying of Cancer and can't take it anymore? With my blessing.

But generic old 'Life sucks suicide'?

Nope.. Those folks generally don't have a good reason other than having reached their breaking point.

And then there was that point made about attention getters. I don't think our man here qualifies, though I can see a very valid argument about why he would.

AodhanW

Wanderer
Bleach;703923 said:
Nope.
But I'm 19, own a house, have gone through 3 (on my third, 2006 Dodge Charger SRT-8) cars and a motorcycle (2002 Ninja ZX-6R).

Is that enough? Or do I have to rub another one off on ya?

I will also concede that you have me beat in the area of affluence.

*chuckles* While I won't leave your Starbucks, I will at least stop poking at you.

nomad707

Knight
AodhanW;703924 said:
Never said Suicide was wrong AB. Said its generally a bad idea.

Now, your standard 'Hari Kari' maneuver, thats all good... Dying of Cancer and can't take it anymore? With my blessing.

But generic old 'Life sucks suicide'?

Nope.. Those folks generally don't have a good reason other than having reached their breaking point.

And then there was that point made about attention getters. I don't think our man here qualifies, though I can see a very valid argument about why he would.

whoah calm down there cowboy!!!

People who are dying already automatically have the right to kill themselves.

You took a very broad category into "life sucks" Theres people like Joeku, who go "oh woes me, the love of my life doesnt want to make babies with me, maybe I should die", and then theres peoples whose lives REALLY suck, and death is a LOT better alternative.

Bleach

Knight
AodhanW;703929 said:
I will also concede that you have me beat in the area of affluence.

*chuckles* While I won't leave your Starbucks, I will at least stop poking at you.

Nice red bar.

AodhanW

Wanderer
Bleach;703935 said:
Nice red bar.

While I realize I'm probably opening myself up for yet another blasting..

Strong drink and two types of dance?

(Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?)

And yes AB, I did take a very broad stroke with 'Life Sucks'. Because there's A LOT of ground to cover. And I completely agree with you, there's many people who have the right to die if thats their choice.

As a matter of fact, anyone who wants to die has that right. Its their life after all.

Radwen

Wanderer
I think of suicide daily and have thought of it such for many years. Yet I'm not depressive nor emo.

Someone who doesn't think about suicide is abnormal.

Life has no real value unless you attribute some to it.

Vhaerun

Sorceror
Thought about it.

Tried it (sorta).

Personally, I don't see anything morally wrong with suicide. As others have stated, life is a gift. Your decision on what to do with it. However, I've come to some rather strong and convincing thoughts that assure that I won't ever try anything like that again.

First and foremost, suicide is permanent. To quote a good movie, "This is the really real world, there ain't no coming back." You never really do know what is going to happen tomorrow, or in ten minutes. Had you asked me a year ago where I would be now, I would have not been anywhere near correct. My life now is happier, busier, and much more fulfilling. Can't say life always improves, but the point is... you never know.

The time I did "try" to commit suicide was when I was sixteen, almost seventeen, and was a rather teenage-emo-look-at-me grasp for attention more than any true desire to hurt myself. I was emotionally unstable, but teenagers normally are. Scientists have found actual hormones that keep you relatively calm during your childhood and adult years, but during puberty and adolescence, the hormones cause large imbalances that lead to depression, anger, jealousy, and similar emotions, and this in turn leads to a higher incidence of both suicide attempts and successful suicides.

To be honest, I feel sad when I hear about a teenager killing themselves. It's been thirteen years since I tried, and if I had succeeded, I would not have those times of joy, happiness, and even sorrow, that have made me a stronger person... a better person. I would not have had the chance to get married (and divorced), have an impact on my children's lives, watch my sisters start their own families and excel at choosing what they want to do, or a thousand other things I won't go into.

You all have raised a lot of really good points here. For the record I am 24 years old. I am not currently contemplating suicide, nor have I in a very long time. When I say contemplate I usually mean nothing more than a brief "God wouldn't it be easier". It's literally a single sentence thought. I've never gone into planning, or anything even close to taking action. My thoughts were never anything love related. Most of my stress comes from financial and illness related matters.

I didn't bring up this subject to try and have people talk me out of suicidal thoughts, but more because I feel that a lot of people are like me and refuse to share these thoughts with people they know, and one day it might ultimately become more than a thought. I think it's a good thing for this subject to be discussed because like many of you have said, I think people see suicide as a solution to very simple life problems.

I agree with the terminal illness. If you are in greater pain than any human will ever know other then someone with your same condition, and ultimately are going to die why not speed up the process. Does this mean I would take my life in this situation, probably not. I personally fear death and I don't think there is very much that would make me commit suicide, but you never know until you reach that point. This in itself is what scares me. You never know till you hit that point... What happens when you do finally hit the point where suicide can be rationalized in your mind. How do you return from that point, and will you see it coming? Is there enough time to seek help or are you ultimately going to just act on it because you can't find a reason not to... I guess no one can answer this as anyone who has reached that point likely isn't with us at this moment.

I've lost a friend earlier in life due to the bullshit reasons and I tell you that it isn't a victimless crime. The 15 year old boy jumped off the roof of our school late at night during a weekend. His reason for doing it, a woman he was in "Love" with didn't feel the same way. He never even dated her, only fantasized. But in my opinion the boy isn't the only one who had something taken away from him. His family will never be the same for losing their only son, the girl will forever remember that she was the cause of this young mans death, regardless that it wasn't her fault. Not to mention the entire school both faculty and fellow students.

I do feel that ultimately it’s a personal choice. No one can tell you what to, or not to do. But to turn your head to the subject and say anyone can kill themselves because we don't need depressed or emotionally unstable people walking this earth is a bit cold hearted to me. I'm willing to bet a great deal of successful suicides could have been avoided if the person had someone they could have put faith in and talked out their issues.

HellRazor

Knight
Anti-Basic;703868 said:
I'm not trying to be funny, I'm completely serious. I find suicide neither immoral nor negative when done by a person who truly feels like he wants to die.

You may not find it immoral or negative, but on the other hand, that doesn't mean you should encourage someone else who may be suicidal to end his life. It just ain't cool.

Sure, you CAN do it. Doesn't mean you ought to, is all I'm sayin.

All morality issues aside, it can also actually leave you on the receiving end of a wrongful death lawsuit.

HellRazor;704041 said:
You may not find it immoral or negative, but on the other hand, that doesn't mean you should encourage someone else who may be suicidal to end his life. It just ain't cool.

Sure, you CAN do it. Doesn't mean you ought to, is all I'm sayin.

All morality issues aside, it can also actually leave you on the receiving end of a wrongful death lawsuit.
I didnt actually encourage, Read the white text. All I did was tell him not to call a help the line