RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultima Online Remade for 2009!

Jeff;788469 said:
That doesn't make any sense.

I will calculate them in top-down and then draw them, i mean like:

Jeff

Lord
UltimaOnline2009;788550 said:
I will calculate them in top-down and then draw them, i mean like:

i understand that, but it still looks weird because a shadow shouldnt cast for as far as convex hull shadowing does... shadows do not get really wide, like convex does...

pacolaco2

Sorceror
Jeff if you're so bothered by the way he's doing it, why don't you just step out and let him do it his way. You seem to know he's going to screw up, and you've tried to tell him, but he wont listen, so just leave it be. He's either going to screw up or not, just let it go.

I myself am interested in the client, and can't wait to try it out, if any demo is ever available.

Ganks

Wanderer
If you can't join 'em, beat 'em.

jk, looks good... except for the bubblebar. =P
I don't think there is anything wrong with the code. It could use some opacity and maybe fit to size a little bit though in the future. =)

SiENcE

Sorceror
If you can't join 'em, beat 'em.

lol. To whom you are saying this :) ?
I think someone should firstly join or beat us (iris). And Jeff is doing a good Job on ConnectUO.
So i'd really like to see the way they (uo2009) are going.

Nevertheless i think it's redundant to create another client, but help improving the existing and create a really playable sollution. But thats my opinion.

Aenima

Wanderer
I've been writing code to display the map and statics and move around it. I'm only doing it because I want to learn something from it as well as push myself into thinking out of the box. Will it end up as a client? Maybe. Who knows. If it does, anybody's welcome to use it. I'd even be happy to make it open source if it would help others to learn from what I have found.

For the same reason (a learning exercise) I chose to write it in C++. Currently, I'm using Direct3D but plan to make it configurable for OpenGL as well. This would make it easier to port to other platforms. I've never really written such a large program before, and I am finding myself spending a lot of time now refactoring the code into what I would consider good OO design. This will likely change in the future and I'll likely change it to match my new understanding of good design.

This is the first time I've mentioned this work. I only spend some of my spare time doing it, which is dramatically reduced during the teaching semester. The reason I mention it now is that I have seen a lot of people post about clients they are creating. Great—I hope they learn a lot from it.

I find it perculiarthat there are many people who profess their upcoming client to be the be all and end all of UO. UO really has just about ended. There won't be crowds of people lining up to download a new client for it. Let's not fool ourselves.

I suppose the point of my musing is that many people in the UO community at large, including those developing software for it, really ought to leave their egos at the door. If you're ready to promote your work, let's see a working executable. You'll likely then find much more constructive feedback about it than if you paste a static screenshot of your work.

SiENcE

Sorceror
Aenima;788578 said:
If you're ready to promote your work, let's see a working executable. You'll likely then find much more constructive feedback about it than if you paste a static screenshot of your work.

100% ack.

I think what most people complain is, that nearly every month a "newbie" comes into a freeshard or emu board and says, "hey i'm doing the ultimative UO client: gpl3, c#, fast, BumpMappingOcclusionDeferredShadingWhatSoEver...". And after a few month the project is canceled, because not time anymore or insufficient experience.

Thats why most people have sceptism about such statements. For my opinion they should focus on the core not graphics. But i've learned my lessons already ;-).

Jeff

Lord
SiENcE;788596 said:
100% ack.

I think what most people complain here is, that nearly every month a "newbie" comes into a freeshard or emu board and says, "hey i'm doing the ultimative UO client: gpl3, c#, fast, BumpMappingOcclusionDeferredShadingWhatSoEver...". And after a few month the project is canceled, because not time anymore or insufficient experience.

Thats why most people have sceptism about such statements. For my opinion they should focus on the core not graphics. But i've learned my lessons already ;-).

My thoughts exactly, oh well. Ill take pacoloco's advice and step back and just watch the trainwreck... Fuck helping...