RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ultima Online Remade for 2009!

Ultima Online Remade for 2009!

Hello, RunUO!
Me and my team have been working on our Ultima Online engine which was started from a scratch

(Suggest name ideas as you replay :p) it already has, shadows (better looking then UO's), Snow (floating smoothly with transparent edges), Blur (Not seen on the screenshot, looks nice), Water with weaves (Not on screenshot)
Soft Shadows (Again not seen on screenshot, still has annoying bugs) and lots of nice effect, like the fire strike in the screenshot, the thing is that i'm thinking about rewriting the RunUO core to support my client as i'll finish, would you play a kickass-graphics-2009-style Uo without any spoiled new UO content?
In this UO clone you will not control your charector with the mouse but with the W/E/D/S keys, every horse will have its own speed, there is no limit to the map size nor count, NPC's will have such an awesome AI that they will actually live! Would you play in a living Ultima Online world where the trees move from the wind, and your boats speed and direction will depend on your vessel direction. So what do you say would you play my UO Clone? (Will update soon with more screenshots)

BTW: Almost forgot it supports multi-threading and it supports dual and quad core proccesor (going to support i7 soon), maybe will support SLI or CROSSFIRE later...

Sythen

Sorceror
Your Idea... My 2 Cents...

I like the concept you're trying to get at and I think the EA client.exe is due for a well needed fix so that the community can add an unlimited number of custom maps (all varying in size ofcourse). However, I'm not thrilled about your text in a bubble idea. ROFL. That has gotta go! Otherwise it looks the same to me; I really do not notice a difference, but then I don't have your client to compare - I am basing my judgement off a screenshot. Anyway if you can do all that, all the more power to ya!

I'm not sure though, how happy anyone will be, using a modified version of the RunUO core just to play your client. Unless you set it up like RunUO has with a public SVN... and then that would make you competition for RunUO and then omg, how happy would dividing the community up make you feel? ROFL. :p Okay, I am giving this way more thought than it deserves. I wish you luck on your project :D

On a personal note, I'm don't like too much change; I'm a creature of habit. I think instead of causing an unintentional rift here on the forums. Perhaps you should try to pm Ryan, Kirros, or Jeff and work with them to make PlayUO even better or something; show them your work and maybe they'll be impressed. Who knows, its just a suggestion. Don't bite my head off (that was just in case you were licking your lips).

HellRazor

Knight
Looks good so far. I agree with Sythen that the "talk balloon" text should be optional. Also, I think its a mistake to ignore mouse control. Better to provide a few different things but also add in the option to do things the old way.

Stuff I'd like to see - unlimited amounts of anims, art, gumps, etc. That would give added incentive for custom shard guys to switch over to your client, the current UO client has limits on all that stuff.

I also echo Sythen's hopes that you'll open source the client.

Anyways, looking forward to see what you guys come up with!

Jeff

Lord
I am curious as to why you cut off the title bar in the picture, thats a bit shady to me, especially since alt-printscreen captures the bar.... oh well. Also all your ideas of softshadows and new effects aren't "new"

as you can see, its been done in playuo

Soft Shadows

Smoothing and High Tesselation

But anyway, good luck there is a HUGE amount of work you have to look forward to. I'd unfortunately put money on the fact that this project becomes vapoware, but hey, more incentive for you to prove me wrong.

Jeff;787232 said:
I am curious as to why you cut off the title bar in the picture, thats a bit shady to me, especially since alt-printscreen captures the bar.... oh well. Also all your ideas of softshadows and new effects aren't "new"

as you can see, its been done in playuo

Soft Shadows

Smoothing and High Tesselation

But anyway, good luck there is a HUGE amount of work you have to look forward to. I'd unfortunately put money on the fact that this project becomes vapoware, but hey, more incentive for you to prove me wrong.

I meant REAL realtime directional soft shadows, not 1 directional pre-rendered shadows that face the same way, i didn't want to show the title bar because it didn't had an icon and it would look unprofessional

(Crappy text issues will be fixed soon)
Peace-out dudes and dudets,
UltimaOnline2009

SiENcE

Sorceror
Some Questions?
It is done in C++/C#?

NPC's will have such an awesome AI
What has NPC AI todo with the Client?

every horse will have its own speed
What has horse speed todo with the Client?

I'm curius why you wanna do a completely new client?

PlayUO is closed i know but you can help Kirrios i think.
You can also help us enhancing Iris2. It's OPENSOURCE.

2D & 3D Renderer, nice shader Water, scriptable via Lua, nice Plugin-System, smooth 3d Terrain...and lots more Features.

Take a look at the new 2D Mode.

Good luck, but i hope you know how much work a Client is. :)

b0b01

Sorceror

Client determines how often the "move" packet is sent to the server. EA's client has 3 different speeds.

SiENcE

Sorceror

Client determines how often the "move" packet is sent to the server. EA's client has 3 different speeds.

Ah and if you send it 1000times a second what happends ;-) ?

Without Servermodification Speedhacks are blocked. So you see, it has nothing todo with the Client not it's a Client feature.

You have to modify the Server too and thats why i'm asking "Why is this a Client Feature?". (nevertheless most shards will block such a client!)

nadious

Sorceror
I'd just like to add that I recently stumbled upon Iris2 this weekend. Never had heard of it before. I downloaded and gave it a try. I think that this client has a lot of promise. I tried both the 3D & 2D modes with stable & unstable... and while I couldn't select a lot of things in gumps, overall... it was pretty neat. I don't think it's to the place where I can actually use it to PLAY on our shard, but for goofing off and just trying out different things... I was impressed with what's been put together so far.

Amy-

Sorceror
Looking forward to see how this turns out, worst case this will be a good learning experience for you as theres a lot of coding involved.

SiENcE: I haven't checked out iris in a while, I must say it's looking good ;)

Ravenal

Knight
I have watched Iris2 very closely since their first launch, I was impress after months upon months of changes, they are really turning it around to become a better client than any i've seen so far. The only thing I don't like about the Iris 2 2D mode is the 3D Texuring that doesn't look like UO 2D feature, which I happen to like... But thats my 2 cents

Vorspire

Knight
Did you get your ideas for your new client from WoW? (Scriptable LUA etc)

It looks nice, but I'm not sure we should fix what is not broken ^^

I'm happy with EA Client 5091, but I'd be willing to test your new client too, but it's a shame that I couldn't use it with my current RunUO :)

BTW, a suggestion for you speech bubble engine, use bi-linear filtering with a 5% transparency, no hard lines, and it would look sweet :D - Adding an option to change the hue of the bubble depending on the type of the message sent would also be a nice bonus :)

HellRazor

Knight
SiENcE;787254 said:

Without Servermodification Speedhacks are blocked. So you see, it has nothing todo with the Client not it's a Client feature.

You have to modify the Server too and thats why i'm asking "Why is this a Client Feature?". (nevertheless most shards will block such a client!)

The point is, with a custom client, and a custom server, other options for mount speed are possible. Right now its limited by the client. With a custom client, a different solution could be created to allow more than 1 possible speed, while still protecting against speed hacks, etc.

nadious

Sorceror
I have a question for IRIS (I do not mean to hi-jack this thread by any means.)

If I am using the 'Unstable' version and do an update, does it RE-DOWNLOAD the entire program, or does it just add in the changes that were made? If I'm using this method, is it the same as getting the latest SVN of IRIS?

Ravenal

Knight
Unstable and stable versions are different therefore they are in their own different project folder if I am correct. But if you do an patch for any changes it only will update those changes :)...

Hope this helps, and you can always ask questions about Iris 2 at their website Main Page - Iris

b0b01

Sorceror
SiENcE;787254 said:

Well unless you tell all your players to speedhack there is currently no way to have more than 3 speeds. If you provide them with a client that supports it while not speedhacking that is an improvement or am i wrong?

Also speedhacks are not completely blocked in runuo.

But you are right that you would have to modify the server too to support different speeds.

SiENcE

Sorceror
@nadious: yea Ravenal is right. We use SVN for our updater. So you can update "unstable" via your own svn client or via our updater (nothing more than an easy gui svn client).

@b0b01: If you have server and clientcode you can do all things you want. Some shards use Iris2 to create a fully custom world and playlogic far away from UO (this are mostly german shards as i know). They modify all, not only speed. Its for example possible to easily add more weapon abilities that are not releated to an artid. Something like that...

Suil Ban;787363 said:
your effects are pretty ugly but i understand it's a WIP

good work and good luck

Uh? Ugly? Most of the effects are WIP and not shown yet.. It has bump mapping, glow, specular highlight (wet surfaces), light bloom, realtime shadows, static shadows, the full list would probably make you faint (i just can't remember right now).

SiENcE

Sorceror
UltimaOnline2009;787372 said:
Uh? Ugly? Most of the effects are WIP and not shown yet.. It has bump mapping, glow, specular highlight (wet surfaces), light bloom, realtime shadows, static shadows, the full list would probably make you faint (i just can't remember right now).

Do you telling us the features of the engine you are using ;-) ? Where you want to use these features as for example bump mapping? Terrain? Walls?

Thilgon

Sorceror
nice, but until now iris2 (even if i'm not using it 'cause i need a 2d only simple client atm, but in the future, if some features come in iris, i'll surely suggest it for the shard i'm on) looks way better...

well, there's something i've never seen on a client... maybe in 3d it's possible and nice to do, but the 2d client i've seen till now lack it: myst effect...