RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UOSA Classic

jeremymcc;809327 said:
would it be ok if people who wanted to make their own runuo with support for the new expansions and/or clients to start their own project? something like a RunUOSA or whatever. i always thought it would be kind of interesting to have more than one RunUO project focusing on a particular version or era of UO. ie: one project focused on pre-aos, one focused on aos through ml or something of the sort, and one for sa and the new clients.

of course, i'm not saying the runuo team should do all of that...they'd probably just focus on the one that they liked best. but if anyone else wanted to work on their own version of runuo would that be ok? just curious.

Yes, the GPL not only allows for that, but encourages it, as long as you publically provide any source code changes as well.

Alex21;809324 said:
SA seems nice, just a lil extra spice t make those old graphics seem extra nice.

There's something wrong with your eyes.

Corpsecrank;809322 said:
The new client has a lot of differences from the older client and I think that the biggest reason for that is because they are using a new set of tools. I think in the future the classic client will slowly be changed over to a newer format so that they can use the same tools to develop both the classic and the new client.

the original 2D client will always be available via various mirrors, too many people will want it. (not saying all those mirrors would be legal, mind you)

Jeff

Lord
Thilgon;809316 said:
well, actually, file format doesn't matter at all, as long as we are speaking about runuo.
only support i am hoping for is for razor with the new encryption, and just the minimum with SA 2D, like manage the third race and the new skills basics, that is fundamentally what requires to modify the runuo core itself...
the rest, like adding equipments and monsters, well, that i could do it myself...

besides, i've took a look at the files...
art.mul has been completely redone, it is a lot bigger since it has the "empty slot" graphic inserted everywhere... seems like they took out something from there, removed the test animation from the bottom, and expanded it, wich means, lot of places to put customs... wonder if that art.mul and tiledata.mul could be read by the older client :rolleyes:
garg's house tiles seems nice, anyway...
new anims seems to stay in the .uop files, but bodyconv.def reads them like they stay in anim5.mul ;)
garg's gumps can also be used (with an appropriate animation switch) for normal races, since the paperdoll is exactly of the same size...

people that made SA seems to don't like the solutions previously used in SE and ML, they removed LOTS of SE duplicates and totally removed the "equip that change appearance based on race" thing that was with elven heads and helms lol...

still have to get a closer look, but if i find a way to use the new client things even with an older client, well, that means fun!
(by the way, they didn't touched at all the places where anyone could have put in custom data, so you could just plop your things into the new files and go lol)

File format is extremely important... RunUO reads multiple mul files from the client... without those, or if they changed formats... RunUO would not work with the newest client..

Thilgon

Sorceror
Jeff;809340 said:
File format is extremely important... RunUO reads multiple mul files from the client... without those, or if they changed formats... RunUO would not work with the newest client..

yes, i know, but, in the 2D SA client, the system is almost the same.
Animations are read (in bodyconv.mul) from anim5 even if them are not really there, so this keeps working as usual (the old, ugly 1000 anim slots).
Tiledata (the most important of the files for runuo use, as far as i've understood), seems to be the same as usual, just updated...
Gumps, as well, are the same as always.

there are, out there, some examples that runuo can work with the new file format (that means, since mostly the core is the same, just some tweaks done, the runuo core is probably better than anything OSI could do ;) ), that meaning that the new client is harder to customize, but not to emulate...

what i am trying to say is that, if this 2D SA client (not speaking about the new KR/SA client all the time along, i care mostly of the 2D "legacy" client) keeps staying on this track (old format files renewed, new format files as support), i can't see any obstacle in adding some basic support and functions in runuo for it (might be as well the svn after the RC3 release to take care of this, no hurry at all :) )

ps: anyway, tried to make new art and tiledata work with the older client, both runuo and the client worked fine, but the new arts couldn't display at all, just like i supposed...
all my trust lies in the customizability of the xna client at this point :rolleyes:

Jeff

Lord
Thilgon;809341 said:
yes, i know, but, in the 2D SA client, the system is almost the same.
Animations are read (in bodyconv.mul) from anim5 even if them are not really there, so this keeps working as usual (the old, ugly 1000 anim slots).
Tiledata (the most important of the files for runuo use, as far as i've understood), seems to be the same as usual, just updated...
Gumps, as well, are the same as always.

there are, out there, some examples that runuo can work with the new file format (that means, since mostly the core is the same, just some tweaks done, the runuo core is probably better than anything OSI could do ;) ), that meaning that the new client is harder to customize, but not to emulate...

what i am trying to say is that, if this 2D SA client (not speaking about the new KR/SA client all the time along, i care mostly of the 2D "legacy" client) keeps staying on this track (old format files renewed, new format files as support), i can't see any obstacle in adding some basic support and functions in runuo for it (might be as well the svn after the RC3 release to take care of this, no hurry at all :) )

ps: anyway, tried to make new art and tiledata work with the older client, both runuo and the client worked fine, but the new arts couldn't display at all, just like i supposed...
all my trust lies in the customizability of the xna client at this point :rolleyes:
That client is years off from use, just so you are aware.

LordHogFred

Knight

Makaar

Sorceror
What an ass.... :mad: ...also this statement:
New Housing Tiles - now it works above 0x3FFF limit (hello RunUO team :)) I rewritten your stupid code smile

Wouldn't have had it done if not by the hard work of the RunUO team...but at least we know its more possible than initially scoped. I don't know this person's knowledge, though...can't be some kind of genius to have it cracked that quickly.

Jeff

Lord
Garret;809484 said:
Uh, SunUO? :confused:
as i know RUOSI latest public version has had no relationship to the SunUO.

I meant the whole name bashing about how the RunUO team has no idea what we are doing.... yet for some reason its the largest UO emulator that everyone uses. SunUO and the Russian community both used the RunUO source code to create their own versions of RunUO... but yet... we don't know what we are doing and we suck.... I mean these people are just so fucking smart... yet they can't put 2 and 2 together and see that no matter what, they used RunUO to do it, even if they did modify it....The internet is awesome.

LordHogFred

Knight
Tbh, the RunUO team hardly has anything to prove.
Ok, RunUO may not have all of the latest bellsand whistles, yet it still holds the largest private run server on the internet and also has an immense user base in comparison to the other branches.
If the Russians had such an amazing server then why not release it? Oh yeah 'cos they're scared that people will actually use their code!!! At least the RunUO guys have the balls and the utmost generosity to let us use their code and modify it however we want. That's a commendable thing to do, anyone with enough time and some advanced programming knowledge can mod RUO to use SA but there's no need to do it so fast and rushed cos there's nothing to proove here, we all know who does the hard work and we're grateful for them sharing it with us.
Why bother showing off something you're not willing to let people use? Seems pointless to me.

Sorry, bad night needed something to rant about :p.

Corpsecrank

Sorceror
Jeff;809493 said:
I meant the whole name bashing about how the RunUO team has no idea what we are doing.... yet for some reason its the largest UO emulator that everyone uses. SunUO and the Russian community both used the RunUO source code to create their own versions of RunUO... but yet... we don't know what we are doing and we suck.... I mean these people are just so fucking smart... yet they can't put 2 and 2 together and see that no matter what, they used RunUO to do it, even if they did modify it....The internet is awesome.

That's a good call. I have to agree. You see all of these people using a branch and acting like they never touched any of the RUO code to make it happen. Talk about contradicting themselves. Hell they did such a great job that I thought both projects were long dead. I never hear about either of them so they must be doing great right?

Fact is you can mod anything you want but if it wasn't done 100% from scratch you still owe credit to whoever started what you finished.

jeremymcc

Sorceror
Couple of interesting things I noticed. First, look at the date of the first post on the thread Makaar posted a link to on runuosi forums...July 20th. I then checked uoherald.com and noticed the SA Classic client was released on August 7th...curious. Oh, and i don't even want to hear any crap about those being the official SA client pics because those are classic graphics.

So ok, we'll assume that EA released the Classic beta earlier than they posted on the website and Wyatt got a piece of it and started plugging away. Unless they released in like March (giving him plenty of time to work on it) then I find it unlikely that his code is that good. Yeah, it might support the client loading and showing the gargoyles and show the spell book and craft gump but the code would probably have a retarded amount of bugs.

My speculation on it is that they think their code is superior and they can draw more players with it and thus more money and they just don't want to share because 1. they'd lose donation money and 2. people would find out their code is hacky and bug ridden. I logged on their KR shard before and the damned thing keeps bugging and crashing my client...pfft. But it's probably just my inferior American made computer, I'm sure lol.

If they really wanted to show up RunUO they'd write their own "superior" UO emulator from scratch and release it OPEN SOURCE so they can prove their work instead of leeching off other people's work.

So, that's just what i've been thinking.

p.s. Another thought. Let's also not forget that RunUO has done something that in my opinion no other emulator has...they have inspired other emulators. If I remember right a RO emulator is based off RunUO and RunWOW (may have been ripped off code, not sure) did contribute a good deal to the WOW emulator community and helped them get out of the dark ages. So, IMO disrespecting an emulator that helped make emulating popular is just rude and stupid.

The SA client has a 2d/classic version as well, its just as horrible though.

This is the same person, who decompiled runuo before it was open source and released parts of it to the public breaking international copyright law.

If he does release binaries of his core changes that add support for this new client, and not include the source, he will then be breaking the same law (ironically in a kinda opposite direction)

Of course none of this matters, as Russia doesn't really have any laws and doesnt enforce the ones it has.

Worlds #1 vacation spot.

jeremymcc

Sorceror
eh, didn't know they have that option. at any rate, judging by the pics he has support for the classic graphics but not the new ones then.

Well technically if he sells the binaries but makes the source available for free, he wouldn't be in violation. And the source would have to be available to all, not just those who bought binaries.

This post on their site was particularly funny:
Official RUOSI answer to any of RunUO.com insinuations - 22 ÐвгуÑта 2009 - Ð’ мирке жывотнаÑтей

lol It looks like I made a new friend

And, Since I know hes reading this, I know the rest of the world seems to think a 'yankee' is some sort of catch-all for America as a whole, but its a very specific word for someone from the northeast part of the country. I'm from the South. And speaking of stupid wars in Afganistan... exactly why are the Taliban in power in the first place? Oh Right... You invaded their country, and they formed to try and drive you out. I'm not in support for any of the current wars, but do try and make sure you're not a pot before calling me a kettle.
jeremymcc said:
eh, didn't know they have that option. at any rate, judging by the pics he has support for the classic graphics but not the new ones then.
doubtful

Corpsecrank

Sorceror
Garret;809484 said:
Uh, SunUO? :confused:
as i know RUOSI latest public version has had no relationship to the SunUO.

Just thought i would mention this now that I see the post.

SunUO was absorbed by ruosi. If you go to the SunUO page and read up on it you can find out all the details.

Mideon

Page
Anyone know how to have a look at the UOSA classic art files?

I've tried a few tools but most seem to be having problems with a good many of the muls.